Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton Collection......

onewilyfool

Pardon me while I pick myself up off the floor. Think I'll have to be satisfied with my plain old 000-28 EC, which is a nice guitar, if a bit on the heavy side. Martin gives you plenty of brace mass for your money.

And yes, you will probably need to get any of these set of for your playing style, but that seems to be the case with every guitar I own.

I don't even know how to judge a 50k guitar...for sure, that's philatrophy money. Hell, I can't even spell it.

14K, that's more like 'donation' money to me. A price you pay for a good cause. But, I guess it's all the same.

The amps, on the other hand, seem to me to be the real deal and priced pretty darned good, although I haven't played any. If you are going to spend 2k on a guitar of quality, go ahead and spend 2k on an amp of quality to play them through.

What $50k guitar? I don't see one, there is a Strat being passed off for what it is not for $15k.

Guitar Center & EC(?) taking advantage of people..probably at full MSRP which is always inflated & unfair to begin with.

I'd suspect anyone who tries to sell a guitar at that immoral mark up.

A decent real one of these guitars I think is about $30k these days..had been more.

What $50k guitar? I don't see one, there is a Strat being passed off for what it is not for $15k.

Guitar Center & EC(?) taking advantage of people..probably at full MSRP which is always inflated & unfair to begin with.

I'd suspect anyone who tries to sell a guitar at that immoral mark up.

A decent real one of these guitars I think is about $30k these days..had been more.

Click the martin logo on the top part of the page showing the collection, it'll take you to the most ridiculously overpriced guitar and provide a little amusement to boot.

In saying that, I know a guy who bought two of those Jeff Beck clones for 10K a piece and Jeff's actual one was 75 quid as it was in a real rough state and not quite the 'real thing' so the story goes... Takes all sorts I guess.

When I lived in Bethlehem Pa, Travis Tritt and Marty Stewart came to Martin (just up the road in Nazareth Pa) to order custom built guitars. The local paper said it would take almost two years for them to be completed and the cost was projected at over 30k each. Must be nice to have a guitar worth that much to just bang around on.

"I like really basic guitars," says Clapton, casually playing his new Martin 000-28EC. "I traveled through the '70s with a 000-28, and I loved it. It got battered-I tend to think that you can actually treat them with less reverence, or ... they become tools if they're basic."

Nothing says basic and treat with less reverence than a 50k guitar

I think that this is fantastic. There are folks who will pay a lot for Clapton's signature on a fancy guitar. Clapton takes advantage of this not by marketing products to line his own pockets but to raise money for a charitable venture.

Instead of buying another BMW, some people buy a fancy guitar that bears Clapton's signature and the proceeds above its usual market value go to a substance abuse treatment facility. What's not to like about this?

I think that this is fantastic. There are folks who will pay a lot for Clapton's signature on a fancy guitar. Clapton takes advantage of this not by marketing products to line his own pockets but to raise money for a charitable venture.

Instead of buying another BMW, some people buy a fancy guitar that bears Clapton's signature and the proceeds above its usual market value go to a substance abuse treatment facility. What's not to like about this?

And, of course, Clapton's famous red ES 335 sold for about $800,000 to benefit the Crossroads charity.

And, of course, Clapton's famous red ES 335 sold for about $800,000 to benefit the Crossroads charity.

And Blackie went for nearly a million.

Then, there was this cheapie at one of those auctions:

VGArticle_zps98335e6e.jpg

Thanks PM..$50k look at that.

For a new Martin..

Quite incredible isn't it? 50k... ouch! I suppose that's the buy-in price of fabled beliefs like 'mojo transference' and whatnot. Ludicrous prices... As someone else said, you could custom spec that guitar from Martin for about 5k.

Totally agree JT. Nobody's getting hosed here. Anyone buying one of these Clapton instruments will be making an informed decision, certainly knowing they can get virtually the same thing in a standard model for much less.

Only those who can afford to throw a lot of money at a non-essential item will be buying one of these.

I think that this is fantastic. There are folks who will pay a lot for Clapton's signature on a fancy guitar. Clapton takes advantage of this not by marketing products to line his own pockets but to raise money for a charitable venture. Instead of buying another BMW ... the proceeds above its usual market value go to a substance abuse treatment facility. What's not to like about this.
The charity? Fantastic indeed. Buy the whole set. That folks have this kind of jack to spend on a music box? Symptomatic of the widening income gap that's been expanding since the '80s.

And 100K for a Henderson OMthat he played once. In a studio. That money also went to charity, but would the buyer just outright give to the charity on its merits without the trophy piece?

Another aspect of this is how it distorts the guitar market for the rest of us. To this day, Martin does not build a 00028v. They build a 00028EC, with a markup.

Btw, no fault with Mr. Eric in any of this. I respect his use of "skillful means,' and especially, his willingness to let go of prized instruments to realize his ends. And the videos were fun. Kind of looking in the storefront window...

Btw, no fault with Mr. Eric in any of this. I respect his use of "skillful means,' and especially, his willingness to let go of prized instruments to realize his ends. And the videos were fun. Kind of looking in the storefront window...

bless his silk hand stitched socks

Another aspect of this is how it distorts the guitar market for the rest of us. To this day, Martin does not build a 00028v. They build a 00028EC, with a markup.

That's a very, and probably the most, valid point here, the move to back-slappy sig models as the only way to get a specific specs set, I'd be happy to see the Gibson line available as is, minus sigs, and all that wee bit more affordable by not giving a markup on each model to some already successful musician.

When I bought my Keb Mo, it was the only way to get a 12-fret Gibson L-00 without dipping into ridiculous money customs, legends, etc... On the basis I didn't even know who Keb Mo was I'd have been more than happy with the same guitar at a price minus his markup.

Archived