Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar polish

adelaide aus

Can someone give advise on Gibson Pump Polish. Should I use this on my Nitro finished traditional Les Paul ( black)

I recently used a Fender polish that left faint swirl scratches. I was told the Gibson Pump Polish isn't ideal on Nitro finishes.

Is there a better product

Thankyou

Guest Farnsbarns

All gibson guitars are nitro finished. Why would they sell a polish that is not suitable for their own guitars? Needless to say, it's fine.

Try Virtuoso cleaner and polish. This stuff is nothing short of amazing for removing light scratches and putting on a mirror shine. It's formulated espeially for nitro finishes so it's safe to use. I use the polish on my faded finish and what a difference it makes. Sounds like a commercial I know but I just love it.

Can someone give advise on Gibson Pump Polish. Should I use this on my Nitro finished traditional Les Paul ( black)

I recently used a Fender polish that left faint swirl scratches. I was told the Gibson Pump Polish isn't ideal on Nitro finishes.

Is there a better product

Thankyou

YES...Virtuoso....cleaner AND polish!!! Best $20 you'll spend pampering your guitars. [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

+1 on GHS Guitar Gloss.

I LOVE this stuff and have used it on all kinds of finishes, including Gibson Nitro finish. Though it IS a rub on, let dry, then rub off type gloss. Not as fast as the pump sprays but absolutely my favorite.

Only use polish if you want your guitars to look new forever. I was hoping some of my old nitro guitars would start to relic naturally but they still haven't for the most part after 30+ years.

:-k

I'm not sure the use of polish will make any difference as far as weather-checking goes.

From what I've heard and read it has more to do with the type of Nitro used nowadays having more in the way of plasticisers in the mix.

The only one of my LPs which has checked - and it has checked to a considerable extent - is the one I play almost all the time and therefore gets polished most frequently as a result.

I really should take some recent pics. The last ones I took must be two years old by now.

I've heard everyone who has used Virtuoso give it rave reviews.

FWIW I'm with Kaiser Bill on the 'good quality furniture polish' stakes.

If you think about it these high-quality polishes are used on priceless antiques the world over.

I'm pretty confident that they'll be fine for my 1990's-era Pauls.

[smile]

P.

QFT.

I'm confused by that TLA.

Could you clarify that response, please, Danner? QFT can be used in a couple of ways but for (almost) opposing reasons.

Which meaning did you have in mind?

Do you agree or disagree with the relevant post?

If the former then surely the usual +1 or [thumbup] would have been less open to misinterpretation?

If, however, it's the latter is it because you know the statement to be untrue? If so can you elucidate?

P.

Make sure you use an old 100% cotton tshirt with no dirt, silkscreening or stitching. Polyester thread or specks of dirt will make the swirl marks. If you have a spot of dirt or gunk on there, don't rub it around or it'll make marks too. Soak it a little and pick it off.

Only use polish if you want your guitars to look new forever. I was hoping some of my old nitro guitars would start to relic naturally but they still haven't for the most part after 30+ years.

8550844492_9df0a24a71.jpg

Nitrocellulose finishes age exactly the same as polyurethane finishes. People think they break down and age because the ingredients are close to that of a tree. Sorry to burst your bubble.

"I'm not sure the use of polish will make any difference as far as weather-checking goes.

From what I've heard and read it has more to do with the type of Nitro used nowadays having more in the way of plasticisers in the mix."

-pippy

Nitro doesn't necessarily age like many think... Nitrocellulose lacquer was created by DuPont as a sealant to protect cars from the elements... Nitro is thought to age and breathe due to the fact that many ingredients are found in wood... So essentially Nitro ages the same as a Poly finish

Archived