Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul 2012--2015 ?

lolo_guitar

personally i think 2012 and 2013 were bad years for Gibson. for the first time ever i was in the market for one and ever model i played or saw at any place was just sub par to what i though gibson was and what the price tags said. even supremes and customs were plagued with sloppy details. actually a month ago, tried two orange SG deluxe models from 2013 because amazon had them as lighnting deals. first one was a complete lemon in every aspect. second one had electronic issues and sloppy headstock fake inlay stickers and such. these were brand new mind you.

i haven't touched a 2015 but i can tell you as a 2014 owner, '14 guitars seem to be really well done from all the models ive seen and inspected. their prices especially for the LP signatures were very attractive to me at least, comparatively to previous years' models.

yeah prices go up but that goes for everything every year....at least with my '14 (which i just paid off)it was extremely worth every penny.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I have had great luck with the 2012-2013 models and I have purchased 3 of them over the last couple of years. The 2014's are nice but I could care less about the 2015 line. In the end, it all comes down to what you prefer.

What you have to know is that the 2015s are different beasts than what we had before...

Thicker and wider necks (on all models), adjustable brass nuts with a zero fret, pickguards with no screws, ugly headstock logo and they forced robot tuners on us too...

2014 a is more what we all know as a Gibson but they had some Robos and a 120th anniversary 12th fret inlay (which some people hated but didn't bother me).. but I think in 2014 all of those wood issues were over

2010-2013ish Gibson had wood issues(the government raids)... so we saw a bunch of fretboard replacemenets that again a lot of people hated, layered rosewood, baked maple (which I actually like) and the increase of Richlite boards (fake wood)...

So there you go...

Really, the best test for any guitar is to play it.. In every year you get good and bad examples and theres no way we can say that a specific year is better or not... You just gotta search for the "one".. which you will know as soon as you pick her up ;) Or know exactly what features you want and search by that criteria

Good luck.. :) it is worth the effort [thumbup]

robot tuners : is it really good?

i am used to play with Grover tuners or SPerzel or floyd rose

Like all things.. Some people like it as you can use alternate tunings at the touch of a button.. There have been many complaints about the robo system though.. But in fairness many people have said it works perfectly too..

For a lot of us traditionalists though we really DONT like it and certainly don't like it being forced on us as there are no other options (all the US production models have them now) apart from to either by a Custom Shop or install standard tuners yourself.. Me personally I just find them ugly and I don't want a rechargeable battery or something that says Menu on my guitar.. :)

I have an '83 Standard and a '13 Sig T .... Both are good guitars with some minor differences.

If I was to choose one now (other than the Sig T ... I like the look (even the granadillo) and the 60's neck with coil splits) I have to say that I really like the new Standards with the zero nut, coil splitting/tapping, and the great compound radius necks with the asymmetrical shape. I was worried about quality issues when I bought my most recent and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. The good old days are now.

A couple of years ago I tried a 2013 Standard and loved it. Great workmanship, tone and feel and I liked the extra features of the push/pull controls - I'm not too interested in the 2014/ 2015 models, but I'm sure they play & sound great. Best to try one of each first if you can and decide which you like best yourself.

PS, I agree with Rabs on all the points he made.

i really don't know how a guitar can have different tunings without a set up of the action or intonation with these

robot tuners

and second, the only thing that i like about the robot tuners is not the different tunings but the fact that it will make room for more in my pedaboard [thumbup]

i really don't know how a guitar can have different tunings without a set up of the action or intonation with these

robot tuners

and second, the only thing that i like about the robot tuners is not the different tunings but the fact that it will make room for more in my pedaboard [thumbup]

you have to try it in person. i was as skeptical as anyone. i had never tried them and the guitar was on its way in the mail. i took some comfort knowing it was easy to swap them out for regular tuners. it works. for me anyway. i have switched to and fro from standard to custom low tunings and all without any issues. if it were on a cheaper model maybe you might see issues but my model is solid. the best is just opening your case grabbing the guitar and having it perfectly in tune almost instantly.

string changes are nice too because you have an auto-winder built in.

I prefer 2013 ...... i may be slightly bias..... i did not like the 120th anniversary 12 fret inlay and 2015 is too dear and hate the les paul decal on the headstock.. i know these are trivial things but when your spending near £2000 on the guitar its the small things that count.... i really loved a 2012 traditional in manhattan midnight

20140804_164547_zpswl4bacbe.jpg

Thats the 2013 standard i chose

Look around and try as many as you can. Don't worry about what year, model, or stuff like that. Just find a guitar that you feel is a decent price that plays best, sounds best, and really rocks for you. Not much else matters, IMHO!

Good luck, and I hope you find a great one!!! [smile]

Look around and try as many as you can. Don't worry about what year, model, or stuff like that. Just find a guitar that you feel is a decent price that plays best, sounds best, and really rocks for you. Not much else matters, IMHO!

Good luck, and I hope you find a great one!!! [smile]

JM2112,

First of all AWESOME Avatar!! Rush's 2112 is AMAZING!! That one goes to the grave with me. Excellent advice as well. You've got to play the guitar in person. Use your eyes, hands, ears and wallet to help you decide. Opinions are like noses- everybody has one. You be the judge and TAKE YOUR TIME. Play as many guitars as you can. You will know when the right guitar comes along. Enjoy the process and then best of all enjoy YOUR guitar.

All The World's A Stage,

MississippiBlue

i like guitar with good clean tones= bright, clean, not dark

and with this price, it's an obligation !!

second: i have a les paul pro fx EPiphone and i really don't understand why Gibson does not make all his LP like the axcess

why should i buy a guitar if i can't play guitar solos after the 15ft fret ? [thumbdn]

the action must be very low too without noises

• 3 weeks later...

preview.jpg

i will add out of phase+bypass+split pickups with push push like mine

and change the knobs because black are not as beautiful as the speed knobs from GIBSON [thumbup]

do you like this guitar ?

how can they call "the shred model" with not an axcess for the highest frets?

24 frets would have been better too

Steve Vai has 24 frets: ) (even if i am not fan of his sound )

do you think this StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=5424E0BB-3262-43C6-9AE6-0D60D000EF50&Image_Type=image will have a different sounds vs a les paul axcess?

i don't like black color but it's an interesting model

All the 2014's i've played have been rock solid guitars with excellent fit and finish.... I am in love with my 2014 LP Classic in Lemon Burst... Have barely picked up my SG in the last cpl months. Don't care either way about the inlay or the boost. A truly great LP with tons of vintagey bite...

IMG_0371_zps722c2bd5.jpg

1424459127[/url]' post='1631164']

All the 2014's i've played have been rock solid guitars with excellent fit and finish.... I am in love with my 2014 LP Classic in Lemon Burst... Have barely picked up my SG in the last cpl months. Don't care either way about the inlay or the boost. A truly great LP with tons of vintagey bite...

IMG_0371_zps722c2bd5.jpg

You got a damn fine guitar there! I played one of those a while ago but decided to buy a Signature.

It was a very close call, the Classic sure felt good as well. I'm very happy for you!

//Robert

Archived