• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Excess glue inside guitar need help

#41 User is offline   58 Relic 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationWhippingham Isle of Wight

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:50 AM

Indeed my J45 ( 2015 ) has some of the same imperfections ie buildup of nitro around the fingerboard joint , a dull forearm patch and general small imperfections in the finish . Would I sell it , no is it the best sounding guitar I own , yes . Play it and love it it's a Gibson at the end of the day
Unplugged and Happy

Martin OODB JT
Gibson J45 Yamaha SLG 200s
Taylor GS Mini E Rosewood
Yamaha 1200R NTX Yamaha RGX 211
Burns Marvin Custom Deluxe
FretKing JD signature Joe Brown signature Uke
ZT Lunchbox AER Compact 60 Marshall AS50D Zoom Echoes From The Past Effects

#42 User is offline   nutkunkup 

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 19 November 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

Wow dude. You didn't think to look in the sound hole before you laid down your money? I say that's your bad, not Gibsons'. You have high standards and you let this get by your QC. That's on you and after-the-fact it's too late to whine about your error. Get over it and play the damn guitar! <_<

Er... Why you post twice ? I think you already mentioned that in your first post.

By the way, are you always being rude ?

#43 User is offline   JuanCarlosVejar 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

I feel bad that you are stuck with a guitar that is not perfect to your eye.
Any warranty is void already since you applied the cleaner which discoulored the finish.

What can you tell us about the sound???

Do you love it?

If you want respectful advice here it goes:

If you love the sound of the guitar over time you will play it alot and eventually your sweat will start to make the bindings turn yellow.
As the years progress you will find the guitar will level out any imperfections because you will start to scratch and dent the guitar just because you love the sound.

If you love the sound don't ever let that guitar go.
She will give you many hours of joy and you will make great music.

Again Koa L 00's are as rare as a Leprechaun with a pot of gold

JC
2000 Yamaha FG720SL
2007 SJ 200 TV [RETIRED]
2011 Hummingbird TV [RETIRED]
2011 L200 Emmylou Harris
2012 L00 5 star
2012 J35 5 star
2012 Elvis Costello Century Of Progress
2012 J200 Golden Era Rosewood Edition (Ness)
2012 75th Anniversary J200M Special
2014 Martin 1921 000 28K Authentic

#44 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

View Postnutkunkup, on 19 November 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

By the way, are you always being rude ?

If you perceive my comments as rude, the answer is yes. And, much like the imperfections in your new guitar, you'll have to get used to it.
J45 Vintage - J45 12 fret
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been. Buc, from Me & Eddie
ATLANTA: Bitter Tears An original account of Gen'l Sherman's march through Georgia in the winter of 1864

#45 User is offline   JuanCarlosVejar 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 19 November 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

If you perceive my comments as rude, the answer is yes. And, much like the imperfections in your new guitar, you'll have to get used to it.

This baffles me

i have always respected you Buc ...But I see no reason to be rude to a fellow guitar player seeking help or support

Lets try and help the man with some encouragement

JC
2000 Yamaha FG720SL
2007 SJ 200 TV [RETIRED]
2011 Hummingbird TV [RETIRED]
2011 L200 Emmylou Harris
2012 L00 5 star
2012 J35 5 star
2012 Elvis Costello Century Of Progress
2012 J200 Golden Era Rosewood Edition (Ness)
2012 75th Anniversary J200M Special
2014 Martin 1921 000 28K Authentic

#46 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

I have unbounded respect for those who have added their thoughts to this thread. That holds true for other members and their contributions as well. As SBP observed, being blunt doesn't mean being rude. It can, of course, but that's far from the case in the present circumstances. What I read in this thread is a group of concerned individuals trying to lend support and becoming frustrated by the OP's inability or unwillingness to consider what is being or has been said. Put a different way, I believe most of us would have walked away from this pity party a ways back if our motivation was to be rude. As it stands, we're all trying our best to lend support and find a way to make clear a point that the OP manages to miss no matter how it's presented.

#47 User is offline   slimt 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

Not being rude here.. I bought a 41 D28 Authentic.. hyde glue could not be seen at the Joints... .. It played and sounded outstanding..

Now that being said.. owned for about 4 months in a properly tempitured ,Humidfied room in its case.. took out of the case to see all the sides were seperating from the back and top.. I think I would rather have some comfort in knowing the Glue is shown that holds the Guitar together than Not shown at all to know they might not of had enough period..

I own quite a few 20, 30s 40s, 50s Gibsons and martins.. The glue sure hasnt been a issue on those.. and there values on those has not fallin because of excess material....

Enjoy your Koa..

when you get that first chip.. that will not hurt its sound or playability..

#48 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

View Postslimt, on 19 November 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Not being rude here.. I bought a 41 D28 Authentic.. hyde glue could not be seen at the Joints... .. It played and sounded outstanding..

Now that being said.. owned for about 4 months in a properly tempitured ,Humidfied room in its case.. took out of the case to see all the sides were seperating from the back and top.. I think I would rather have some comfort in knowing the Glue is shown that holds the Guitar together than Not shown at all to know they might not of had enough period..

Glue clean-up is a moving target. Aliphatic resin cleans up with water, but if water seeps into the joint, the joint can be "starved" of glue. Same goes with hide glue, which is even more tricky because it must be at exactly the right state of liquidity and temperature to work properly. As you say, I'd rather have a little glue squeezed out and know the guitar was "glued enough" than have a flawlessly clean interior.

#49 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

Just return the guitar

#50 User is offline   capmaster 

• Fretboard Seizer
  • Locationnear Munich, Upper Bavaria, Germany

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 19 November 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

Just return the guitar

As mentioned before, this is not possible in his country, and use of solvents discoloured the finish and voided warranty.
DVCVNT VOLENTEM FATA NOLENTEM TRAHVNT
(The Fates lead the willing and drag those who are unwilling.)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

#51 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostOldCowboy, on 19 November 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

I have unbounded respect for those who have added their thoughts to this thread. That holds true for other members and their contributions as well. As SBP observed, being blunt doesn't mean being rude. It can, of course, but that's far from the case in the present circumstances. What I read in this thread is a group of concerned individuals trying to lend support and becoming frustrated by the OP's inability or unwillingness to consider what is being or has been said. Put a different way, I believe most of us would have walked away from this pity party a ways back if our motivation was to be rude. As it stands, we're all trying our best to lend support and find a way to make clear a point that the OP manages to miss no matter how it's presented.

Asking a question that one doesn't want to hear the answer to. The bane of the internet.

rct

#52 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

And, bless us all, we keep on tryin'😩

#53 User is offline   Martin 1940D28 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

Boy, are you lucky. I have two '90's Gibson flat tops, I bought brand new, a '96 J 45 and a '97 Custom AJ with early Jumbo body dimensions with not a drop of glue out of place. They sound great, but not as great as my '42 SJ, my '44 J 45 and my '49 SJ with glue seemingly seeping out of every internal joint that is visible thru the sound hole. The older you get, hopefully, the more you'll realize what I'm trying to say. Have fun with the scraper or razor blade. Neither will improve the guitar,unless if'n all you are content with is the visual aspect of it.

#54 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:36 PM

View Postrct, on 19 November 2016 - 04:54 PM, said:

Asking a question that one doesn't want to hear the answer to. The bane of the internet.

rct

+1

#55 User is offline   jvi 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:12 AM

things seem to get personal here pretty often ,if you dont have somethin nice to say....AND i dont think quotes are supposed to be ammo just sayin j

#56 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

View Postjvi, on 20 November 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

things seem to get personal here pretty often ,if you dont have somethin nice to say....AND i dont think quotes are supposed to be ammo just sayin j

Other than a mass exodus from this thread, I can offer only one final positively-intended thought on this matter: since return and warranty are not viable alternatives, since accepting the guitar as it is does not appear to be a viable alternative, since selling it to someone else and moving on - losses counted and lesson learned - a suggestion I made in the form of a riduculous joke offer earlier in this thread - hasn't met with any notice from the OP, how about a complete refin and glue dribble eradication performed by a luthier of the OP's own choosing?

Failing that, I have a few TRULY negative ideas I would prefer not to contribute and likely won't.

#57 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

I understand how you feel. I wouldn't like to see that either. I have just bought 4 new guitars this fall. One is a Martin D-42, not one issue with it whatsoever. The others are Gibsons that had some problems that either I fixed or I returned for another guitar. None of them had any glue squeeze out at all. They mostly had finish problems. I love keeping my guitars, all 16 or 17 of them in top notch condition. I have a small guitar repair shop and can conveniently do most of my own repairs. I would try to find a guitar tech and see if he can help you. I would be glad to take on your work but obviously we are on separate continents. I find it refreshing to hear about someone's passion for their guitars. Too often I am brought some very beat up guitars that have been abused and I am supposed to work some magic for the least amount of money. I think guitars are both a work of art and a practical tool, so I treat them that way. BTW, what is the gray squarish patch I see in the lower left part of the front of the guitar?

#58 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostVictory Pete, on 20 November 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

BTW, what is the gray squarish patch I see in the lower left part of the front of the guitar?

I would say that's a reflection. Given the OP's concern over a couple of drops of squeezed-out glue, it's hard to imagine it would be anything significant.

#59 User is offline   MissouriPicker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndependence, Missouri

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

I'll never again look at a spot of glue without remembering this thread....Just kidding........I sincerely don't know if any of my Gibsons have a spot or smear of glue somewhere inside of them. Maybe someday I'll do an inspection. Nothing that I've noticed on the outside either (doesn't mean something isn't there, but I just don't notice it). I like the hell out of my guitars and I play them a lot. There's usually smudges and fingerprints, maybe a drop or two of coffee, and cinnamon roll icing somewhere on them, so chances are a speck of glue would be mistaken for something else.
YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.c...er?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnat...om/larrygarrett

Gibsons J45TV, J15, Hummingbird, Dove, Southern Jumbo Mystic, Advanced Jumbo Rosewood
Advanced Jumbo Koa, J100 Walnut
Alvarez MFA66CE Masterworks OM/Folk
Martin X Series 2016 D12X1AE Dreadnought 12-String
Regal 1944 Parlor Guitar
LAG Nylon Stringed
Oahu 1941 Squareneck Parlor Guitar
Yamaha YPG-535MM Keyboard
and a herd of ukes, banjos, strumsticks, harmonicas and dulcimers,
making me a "jack of all trades and master of none."

#60 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:32 PM

Those glue drops aren't an afterthought. They are there for a reason. Just like a luthier tap-tests tops when they are picking out wood for guitars, they later add the glue drops after the guitar has been assembled to fine-tune the guitar. It brings out and enhances those desirable resonant frequencies, or tames undesirable ones. So be aware, if you remove those glue drops (I call them tone blobs) your guitar will probably end up sounding worse.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users