Gibson Brands Forums: '64 Hummingbird - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'64 Hummingbird

#1 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

  • Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2782
  • Joined: 03-March 09
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

This one looks quite fine. Don't know prices so I can't say if it's reasonable........sure looks purty for a '64!

'64 Hummingbird
J45 Vintage - J45 12 fret
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been. Buc, from Me & Eddie
The 20th Maine An original, historically accurate account of Chamberlain's defense of Little Round Top, just south of Gettysburg, on July 2, 1863.
0

#2 User is offline   JuanCarlosVejar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 3699
  • Joined: 21-March 11

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

 Buc McMaster, on 16 April 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

This one looks quite fine. Don't know prices so I can't say if it's reasonable........sure looks purty for a '64!

'64 Hummingbird

Too bad it's not a lefty ... Gorgeous!




JC

This post has been edited by JuanCarlosVejar: 16 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

2000 Yamaha FG720SL
2007 SJ 200 TV [RETIRED]
2011 Hummingbird TV [RETIRED]
2011 L200 Emmylou Harris
2012 L00 5 star
2012 J35 5 star
2012 Elvis Costello Century Of Progress
2012 J200 Golden Era Rosewood Edition (Carter Slade)
2012 75th Anniversary J200M (Banana)
2014 Martin 1921 000 28K Authentic
0

#3 User is offline   Jalex 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 566
  • Joined: 21-April 13
  • LocationColumbus, Georgia

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

Looks in great shape, seems they are going for around $6k😱 in excellent condition. Here's a 63 Bird for sale at True Vintage Guitar in Alabama.
http://truevintagegu...on-hummingbird/

This post has been edited by Jalex: 16 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

2012 Gibson J-50
1963 Gibson Hummingbird
2011 GIbson J-185 New Vintage
2017 Taylor 150e 12 String
1995 Lowden F-12c
0

#4 User is offline   tpbiii 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1224
  • Joined: 19-January 09

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

VGG has them at 4300-5600. Those are estimates of dealer asking prices. So $6K seem quite high by that measure.

It never hurts to ask.

Best,

-Tom
Never criticize a musician until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then you will be a mile away and you will have his shoes.
0

#5 User is offline   SirNed 

  • Ornithologist
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: 20-August 17

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

Nice guitar. Looks like the plastic bridge has been replaced. Gary's has a lot of nice guitars...almost drove there to look at his Hummingbirds, but ended up finding the one I have now before making the trip.
Here's a natural finish one that he has for sale: https://www.garysgui...sh-deluxe-model
That one's quite a bit more. Thinking about getting one?
0

#6 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10341
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

View PostSirNed, on 17 April 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

Nice guitar. Looks like the plastic bridge has been replaced. Gary's has a lot of nice guitars...almost drove there to look at his Hummingbirds, but ended up finding the one I have now before making the trip.
Here's a natural finish one that he has for sale: https://www.garysgui...sh-deluxe-model
That one's quite a bit more. Thinking about getting one?



Gary gets nice guitars, and he asks a fortune for them.
0

#7 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7286
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

That's Garys. He has great stuff but has also, lets just say, never been bashful when it comes to asking prices.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#8 User is offline   Joe M 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 687
  • Joined: 18-January 10

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

View Postj45nick, on 17 April 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

Gary gets nice guitars, and he asks a fortune for them.



View Postzombywoof, on 17 April 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

That's Garys. He has great stuff but has also, lets just say, never been bashful when it comes to asking prices.


Agree with both of these comments....
0

#9 User is offline   E-minor7 

  • Winger
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7926
  • Joined: 09-June 10

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:22 PM

Him Gary is quite scary.

But have to admit I have his show-room in Loveland Ohio on my dreamlist.
It rates over both The Chinese Wall, canoes in Grand Canyon and the orangutans of Borneo.

Nothing though, would beat a cup of English tea in the garden around Friar Park.
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
0

#10 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10341
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostE-minor7, on 17 April 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Him Gary is quite scary.

But have to admit I have his show-room in Loveland Ohio on my dreamlist.
It rates over both The Chinese Wall, canoes in Grand Canyon and the orangutans of Borneo.



Gary gets some very nice guitars, but I would rather spend a few days with tpbiii's collection.
0

#11 User is offline   E-minor7 

  • Winger
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7926
  • Joined: 09-June 10

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

View Postj45nick, on 17 April 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

Gary gets some very nice guitars, but I would rather spend a few days with tpbiii's collection.

Now that would be something - still mister Gary offers that unique opportunity to A/B/D similar models, which really lites me up.
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
0

#12 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7286
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Every time I look at Gary's offerings I immediately start picturing what else I could buy at his asking prices. You have to wonder though does he actually get that price?
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#13 User is offline   E-minor7 

  • Winger
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7926
  • Joined: 09-June 10

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 17 April 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Every time I look at Gary's offerings I immediately start picturing what else I could buy at his asking prices. You have to wonder though does he actually get that price?

As someone suggested on these pages a couple of years back, he might be so wild about the guitars in the show-room that he doesn't wanna see them go. Posted ImagePosted Image
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
0

#14 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10341
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 17 April 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Every time I look at Gary's offerings I immediately start picturing what else I could buy at his asking prices. You have to wonder though does he actually get that price?


I would probably buy from him if I were not price-sensitive. He does get some very good guitars that are hard to find in the condition he represents them to be. I'd be willing to pay a premium (if I could afford it) for something like a really, really nice SJ from 1946-1951.
0

#15 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7396
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:34 PM

Do any of these sell?

Some of the guitars on his personal sales site have been there for years (10+?).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I see his name on Reverb or Ebay etc, I just move along the list.

They should be date stamped.



BluesKing777.
0

#16 User is offline   Dave F 

  • Plain Old Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2236
  • Joined: 19-December 11
  • LocationKY

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

He's local to me and I look at his stuff on line all the time. All of the ones I like do disappear so I'm guessing he sells them.
A few years ago I contacted him for gotomsdos on a banner. Gary was very nice and explained to me that he keeps all his guitars in a warehouse.
He said if I ever want to view a few of them to call him and he would get them set up and brought to the showroom.
0

#17 User is offline   olie 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 410
  • Joined: 12-November 14

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

Does it look purdier than the $7700 that might be leaving your bank account?Therein lies the answer.
0

#18 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7286
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostBluesKing777, on 17 April 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Do any of these sell?

Some of the guitars on his personal sales site have been there for years (10+?).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I see his name on Reverb or Ebay etc, I just move along the list.

They should be date stamped.



About three or four years ago, I had a shot at buying a Gibson from a small vintage dealer. I passed and the dealer ended up selling the guitar at one of the guitars shows to Gary. Gary posted it at $2800 more than what I could have got it for and that was without haggling. I believe it is still there.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#19 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7396
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 17 April 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

About three or four years ago, I had a shot at buying a Gibson from a small vintage dealer. I passed and the dealer ended up selling the guitar at one of the guitars shows to Gary. Gary posted it at $2800 more than what I could have got it for and that was without haggling. I believe it is still there.



There is an LG3 like mine that has been there since I was looking and got mine - easy 7 years ago, maybe more!



BluesKing777.
0

#20 User is offline   chasAK 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 459
  • Joined: 19-November 10

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:44 AM

I'm going to be in Cincinnati the beginning of next month. Does he have an open show room for guys with no money?

Charlie






This post has been edited by chasAK: 18 April 2018 - 12:45 AM

0

Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users