Gibson Guitar Board: best year for J45's post 1986 - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

best year for J45's post 1986 Bozeman Factory

#1 User is offline   southrodney 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 11-February 12

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Howdy, does anyone have any preference, knowlege or expertise as to the best year of production for j45's at the Bozeman plant? im in the market for a newer one, they seem solid, just want to make sure i get the right one. i prefer a banner reissue or a true vintage/ new vintages model.

-southrodney

#2 User is offline   StijnV 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team
  • Posts: 753
  • Joined: 25-May 10

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hi,

There is not really one best year of production for J-45's. The 40s, 50s, 60s are all ok, for a 70s and/or early 80s J-45 maybe check twice before you buy (Norlin years), but there will be good J-45's from those years also, it's not that they were all bad.

I have myself a J-45 rosewood from 2005, which I really use a lot.

#3 User is offline   Lilac Lion 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-February 12
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostStijnV, on 22 March 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

Hi,

There is not really one best year of production for J-45's. The 40s, 50s, 60s are all ok, for a 70s and/or early 80s J-45 maybe check twice before you buy (Norlin years), but there will be good J-45's from those years also, it's not that they were all bad.

I have myself a J-45 rosewood from 2005, which I really use a lot.



Just Curious. What strings/gauge are you using on your J-45 RW?
Linny

2011 Gibson J-45 Custom
2009 Blueridge BR-140
2006 Fender Strat HSS

#4 User is offline   Gruffchris 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: 25-February 12
  • LocationGreat Britannia

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

I know this is hijacking the topic a little, but i would also like to know which strings you have found to be best with the RW model?
J 45 5* LTD (Mystic rosewood)

J 30

SG Standard

#5 User is offline   Motherofpearl 

  • Lacky
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1531
  • Joined: 28-February 12
  • LocationFort Mcmurray AB Canada

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostGruffchris, on 26 March 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

I know this is hijacking the topic a little, but i would also like to know which strings you have found to be best with the RW model?

How is the rosewood model anyway?
2010 Gibson hummingbird 50th Ann
1950 J45
2006 Santa Cruz D12
2007 Kopp K35
2010 collings DS1A 12fret
Marshall AS100D-amp

#6 User is offline   ChrisA83 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 613
  • Joined: 22-September 08
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

View Postsouthrodney, on 11 March 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Howdy, does anyone have any preference, knowlege or expertise as to the best year of production for j45's at the Bozeman plant? im in the market for a newer one, they seem solid, just want to make sure i get the right one. i prefer a banner reissue or a true vintage/ new vintages model.

-southrodney


I don't think you can go wrong with a True Vintage, which are 2008 (for the limited issue run) onwards.
2009 Gibson J-45 TV
2007 Martin 00-15
2006 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Art & Lutherie Cedar Antique Burst


"If I had the stars from the darkest night; and the diamonds from the deepest ocean; I'd forsake them all for your sweet kiss; for that's all I'm wishin' to be ownin'""
Boots of Spanish Leather, Bob Dylan

#7 User is offline   Gruffchris 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: 25-February 12
  • LocationGreat Britannia

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostMotherofpearl, on 26 March 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

How is the rosewood model anyway?



Well I've had this one for 1.5 months now and i'm still in love, lol. I dug out my old cheaper guitar for the first time the other day, played it for 5 mins, then back it went. It was like i'd got a new guitar again :)

I'm only a at home strummer and nowhere near as good or accomplished as most on this forum, but in my humble opinion she sounds great.:)
J 45 5* LTD (Mystic rosewood)

J 30

SG Standard

#8 User is offline   rar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1762
  • Joined: 26-December 07
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostChrisA83, on 26 March 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

I don't think you can go wrong with a True Vintage, which are 2008 (for the limited issue run) onwards.

Agreed (except for the 2008 date -- the first TVs were 2007s).

The variation for year to year in 2007-2011 was negligible compared to the variation between individual guitars built in the same year. Knowing the date doesn't help won't when picking one.

-- Bob R

#9 User is offline   Mojorule 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1803
  • Joined: 16-December 10
  • LocationJust a-ramblin' round...

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postrar, on 26 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Agreed (except for the 2008 date -- the first TVs were 2007s).

The variation for year to year in 2007-2011 was negligible compared to the variation between individual guitars built in the same year. Knowing the date doesn't help won't when picking one.

-- Bob R


No indeed Bob, and you are right, but I'm still going to boost the value of my Woody and Parlour Man's by stating that the first half of 2011 was undoubtedly the best moment in Bozeman's history for the manufacture of Gibson slopeshoulders. If we make this statement enough it will become self-fulfilling. PM, please chime in and back me up here! Also to the effect that the Woody is like a True Vintage model with bracing that is truer to the banner-era originals. [wink]

#10 User is offline   Gruffchris 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: 25-February 12
  • LocationGreat Britannia

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostMojorule, on 26 March 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

No indeed Bob, and you are right, but I'm still going to boost the value of my Woody and Parlour Man's by stating that the first half of 2011 was undoubtedly the best moment in Bozeman's history for the manufacture of Gibson slopeshoulders. If we make this statement enough it will become self-fulfilling. PM, please chime in and back me up here! Also to the effect that the Woody is like a True Vintage model with bracing that is truer to the banner-era originals. [wink]



I agree 110%, except it's not early 2011's it's all of 2011, with November being the peak, Ren made a perfect guitar in NOV '11, so good he had to leave gibson cause he new he couldn't beat it, i'm afraid it's all down hill from here [tongue]


@Rar, hey bud, I think your answer will ring the truest, from what i've read on this and other forums, it seems that there are prime examples through out the years.
J 45 5* LTD (Mystic rosewood)

J 30

SG Standard

#11 User is offline   ParlourMan 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4361
  • Joined: 25-January 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostMojorule, on 26 March 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

...I'm still going to boost the value of my Woody and Parlour Man's by stating that the first half of 2011 was undoubtedly the best moment in Bozeman's history for the manufacture of Gibson slopeshoulders.


Preach it, brother! ;)
http://www.youtube.c...ser/TheAyeTunes

Lets all have a wee cuddle.

#12 User is offline   EuroAussie 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5343
  • Joined: 16-May 10
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Ill add to that as my Aaron Lewis SJ was also built during this exact period ... [thumbup]

View PostParlourMan, on 27 March 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Preach it, brother! ;)

___________________________

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 69' Gibson Hummingbird, 11' HB TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#13 User is offline   Madman_Greg 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 225
  • Joined: 08-January 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

As a side bar question to this thread, say you have a guitar that was stamped as built on a particular date on the neck / label etc.....

What exactly was the start date, I am guessing some of the neck, sides etc..... are built and stock piled.

So what exactly does the date mean, at what point of manufacture does it relate to
Madman Greg

#14 User is offline   ParlourMan 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4361
  • Joined: 25-January 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostMadman_Greg, on 27 March 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

As a side bar question to this thread, say you have a guitar that was stamped as built on a particular date on the neck / label etc.....

What exactly was the start date, I am guessing some of the neck, sides etc..... are built and stock piled.

So what exactly does the date mean, at what point of manufacture does it relate to


Surely it would be completion date, or final finishing date, as in when the guitar is considered as 'finished' / 'ready to be shipped as part of an order' etc... the facility isn';t the biggest, so I can't seem them having a whole backlog of parts laying about for long periods.
http://www.youtube.c...ser/TheAyeTunes

Lets all have a wee cuddle.

#15 User is offline   chasAK 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 308
  • Joined: 19-November 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

The nut width changed some over those years, but I am notsure about the bracing or any of the other specs. The bracing and some of thes specs do change from model to model.



chasAK



#16 User is offline   rar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1762
  • Joined: 26-December 07
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostMadman_Greg, on 27 March 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

What exactly was the start date, I am guessing some of the neck, sides etc..... are built and stock piled.

It's the date the neck makes it to the end of the neck assembly line, prior to the neck being joined to a body. This is still quite early on, time-wise, in the build.

-- Bob R

#17 User is offline   Pickax 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 298
  • Joined: 22-November 08

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Over the years, I've owned 45's from 96, 2010 and 2011 along with a WM45 from the mid 90's. They were all great Guitars but my favorite is my 2011 J-45TV. The rest were sold along the way.

#18 User is offline   ParlourMan 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4361
  • Joined: 25-January 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

View Postrar, on 27 March 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

It's the date the neck makes it to the end of the neck assembly line, prior to the neck being joined to a body. This is still quite early on, time-wise, in the build.

-- Bob R


OK, so I was wildly wrong, then.... ;)

Cheers Bob, makes sense.
http://www.youtube.c...ser/TheAyeTunes

Lets all have a wee cuddle.

#19 User is offline   merseybeat1963 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1504
  • Joined: 15-March 12

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I haven't played many but one of the best sounding acoustic guitars I ever played was in 1983 at the Elderly guitar Shoppe,it was a 1940 J-45 with two juicy cracks in its top.
And from what John Greven (Gruhn Repair guy & luthier) writes the Pre War J45 is THE one to get.

In new as you ask, most Bozeman Montana's are very nice but like any instrument, you have to try them individually ,not mail order it ,cause they always vary.
For example I saw a J45 Vine on LI at the Music Zoo once..it was the first very ornate one id ever seen..(the inlay really struck me as looking a little crude and unrefined incidently)..but from a little distance a stunner.
But when I played it ..it was the most incredible dud.. that it had the tone quality of a crate..just like the 60's-88" Gibsons.
I made it a point to drive out there another couple of times to try it because I could not believe my ears.
Good luck

#20 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6639
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

View Postmerseybeat1963, on 28 March 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

I haven't played many but one of the best sounding acoustic guitars I ever played was in 1983 at the Elderly guitar Shoppe,it was a 1940 J-45 with two juicy cracks in its top.
And from what John Greven (Gruhn Repair guy & luthier) writes the Pre War J45 is THE one to get.

In new as you ask, most Bozeman Montana's are very nice but like any instrument, you have to try them individually ,not mail order it ,cause they always vary.
For example I saw a J45 Vine on LI at the Music Zoo once..it was the first very ornate one id ever seen..(the inlay really struck me as looking a little crude and unrefined incidently)..but from a little distance a stunner.
But when I played it ..it was the most incredible dud.. that it had the tone quality of a crate..just like the 60's-88" Gibsons.
I made it a point to drive out there another couple of times to try it because I could not believe my ears.
Good luck



With all due respect, there's no such thing as a "pre-war J-45". The J-45 wasn't introduced until late 1942, by most sources. There were plenty of pre-war round shoulder jumbo Gibsons, but they weren't
J-45's. Chances are you were playing a J-35 if it was a pre-war model.

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users