• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sore fingers

#21 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

Vinegar will ease soreness in the fingertips, but make sure there isn't any residue left when you play.

#22 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostOldCowboy, on 18 June 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

Vinegar will ease soreness in the fingertips, but make sure there isn't any residue left when you play.

or when you dunk biscuits in your tea.

BTW I think Robin has likely gone now!
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#23 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 22 June 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

or when you dunk biscuits in your tea.

BTW I think Robin has likely gone now!

Mean to say we're talking to ourselves? That's OK. With a wife and three daughters, I'm used to it!

#24 User is offline   pappy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

I talk to myself because I am the only one listening. A continuation of my experiences from the 60's and 70's, and having a wife ,6 children and 15 grands.Not too mention a number of in laws.+:-@

#25 User is offline   baconandcoffee 

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

My kids are learning to play and have the same problem. Slackening the strings by tuning it down 1/2 or a full step and then using a capo to bring it up to standard pitch might be the easiest thing- also an electric or a nylon string will be easier on the fingers as a break. My finger tips are like rubber now, but if I play within an hour of taking a bath or shower my callouses can loosen and tear, so make sure you wait a bit to practice. Also, if I have a string of gigs all in a row I keep superglue in my case to coat my tips. It's been a gig and finger saver plenty.

RC
'33 A-00, '34 L50 w/monkey on a stick pickup, '37 Martin R-17, '38 Oahu Hawaiian, '72 Alvarez 5053, '76 Electra Elvin Bishop model, '99 b-bender Tele, banjos, fiddles, etc.

#26 User is offline   10K-DB 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

My linkWhen I get a cut on end of fingers from work ect,,I use Tamiya Modeling masking tape,,about 3$ at local hobby shop where they sell model car kits hobby supplies. I normally use it when Im taping off areas to paint stripes to paint,,but works great for covering end of fingers when sore Posted Image
Once opon a time,,they lived happily ever after,but not necessarily in that order http://fandalism.com/tenkdeebee

#27 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

When I first started playing, I used a hand exerciser and would slowly build up the number of repetitions I'd do with each hand to build hand and finger strength. The other thing I did is what everyone else is saying. Play and play a lot. When it starts getting sore, stop and rest for a while and start again later or next day. Do this two or three hours a day and within a couple weeks, you'll get hard callouses and it won't hurt even after playing for hours at a time. Another thing I use occasionally is "Finger Ease" which helps slicken the strings. I'll spray it, rub up and down the fretboard to get all the gunk (aka dead skin and stuff) off the strings. It also seems to help the life of the strings, or at least it seems to for me.

#28 User is offline   Cougar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Wild West

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostRobin623, on 08 October 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

I am only a beginner and I very want to learn guitar good. I practice a lot but my fingers get sore a lot. Is there something can help my fingers.

Make sure your guitar has a good setup. Take it to a luthier or tech and have him set it up so the action is low but doesn't buzz. Might cost $40 or $50, but your fingertips will thank you.
1939 Epiphone Masterbilt Zenith

2008 Epiphone Masterbilt spruce/rosewood EF-500RAVS

2009 Epiphone Masterbilt spruce/mahogany EF-500MNS

2011 Guild F50R burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 burst 

2014 Epiphone FT-79 IB-64 Texan cherryburst

2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS

2011 Epiphone Performer ME TBK

2013 Epiphone EL-00 Pro VS

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string sunburst

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber