Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 review Music Villa

EuroAussie

Im guessing JC may have this put this up before, or maybe not.

Anwyay with all the hype around the J-35 here's the review. Got to say it looks and in particular sounds fabulous and offers ridiculously good value.

The video was well recorded using a top quality Neumann mic and I listed to it on a pair of Yamaha MSP7 studio reference monitors through an Apogee DUET audio interface.

The guitar sounds wonderful. Seriously good tone.

I think Gibson just closed the sale with me (and I don't need another guitar).

Damn.

Is it just me or is Tony sometimes a little bit thumb heavy? (most noticeable in the little fingerpicking blues number he typically plays first in the videos) *

* Not that I'm saying he isn't a very capable player or anything, but there's a lot of thumb presence in his Gibson videos

Hmmm ?

Does sound a little bass heavy here...and the brand new strings are not helping...I don't know? does not sound that balanced a guitar to me in this recording?

Check out a few other Gibson vids, Del... recurring issue if you ask me. Perhaps he just has a "sporting" thumb... who knows...

Check out a few other Gibson vids, Del... recurring issue if you ask me. Perhaps he just has a "sporting" thumb... who knows...

I just listed to 5 or 6 with different guitars..and in my ears there is too much bottom end in all of them..must be something to do with the recording..and compression or something ? he actually sounded the best on a Taylor ..hehe

I just listed to 5 or 6 with different guitars..and in my ears there is too much bottom end in all of them..must be something to do with the recording..and compression or something ? he actually sounded the best on a Taylor ..hehe

A couple are a wee bit boomy, but I honestly think it's a thumb thing.... I've made a few vids myself where I've thought my thumb was out of order when watching them back... common problem. He's a handy enough player though, seen/heard a few other clips with tasty playing so perhaps it is a mic thing a bit too.

The moer music villa vids I watch the more I notice the thumb though, especially on Gibson vids.

No beef with the value. Not a world of difference from the std in sound. And (correction), the J35 is punchier, more precise. More cojones, if you please. 'Fess'n up --much better than I anticipated (where were you last year when I was looking for you, guitar, d* you ?).

he's not gonna be super pumped if he hears what you two are saying !

haha

whats he gonna care about a couple of hacks on a forum ?

i don't think it's his playing particularly as it's clear he is a competent player, more the recordings. Listening again there is clearly too much bottom end to most of the recordings IMHO.. just give a listen to the posted clip here toward the end when he is strumming.. nothing to do with his thumb..but the bass is way overpowering everything else.

I guess its the compression at youtubes end..and they ain't compensating for this in the recordings.

EDIT

I just listened to the clip posted by Rambler..

A world of difference in sound to my ears..just a hell of a lot more balanced guitar..( or recording ? )

some guitars are good for recording...some are good for bashing out tunes in a gig..round the camp fire..on the sofa

a high quality / well balanced guitar should be both I think

I would say you can certainly hear the difference in quality between the two models posted here..

so for all the GAS for these J35's on the forum...me included... I would want to pl;ay one myself before ordering

I would say he does have the aforesaid "sporting thumb", but that's almost essential with these raggy fingerpicked blues to give them their rhythmic bass line. Doesn't really bother me, as I have a bit of the opposite problem if I'm not using a thumbpick.

Here's an example of another "sportin' thumb", not mention the two guys Roy refers to as inspirations.

Not bad at all. It was surprisingly a great flatpickers which I didn't expect. Would sound great alone with a old fiddle to accompany. I'm not usually a fan of mahagony but this guitar looks like a handful of fun

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care for it? I really wanted to love this guitar too. I was excited to try it and had a chance to play one recently. Maybe it's because I'm used to my J45, but after I was done with the J35, all I thought was "J45 lite."

Don't get me wrong, at this price point and with the build quality it'll be a hit for sure but IF you own a J45 already, this guitar might sound a little small.

Could be. The example I played came from a 5 Star dealer though. I'm not saying at all that it sounded bad or it was without it's own thing going on, I'm probably so used to hearing my J45 that I did an instant comparison and because of the bracing differences that's what I noticed. If someone was out casually shopping and played one, at this price, it's a no brainer.

Archived