Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Mahogany????.... I thought all Gibson Norlin Era Necks were 3-piece Maple
  3. Translated from Polish: I bought a new Gibson SG Bluberry Modern and it makes a humming noise. Has anyone had this problem?
  4. kupiłem nowego Gibsona SG Bluberry Modern i on mi "sieje" buczy po czy ktoś miał taki problem?
  5. Coś to źle przetłumaczło
  6. Kupiłem Gibsona SG Bluberry Modern nowego i on mi "sieje" buczy, jak dotykam strun przestaje sprzedawca próbuje mi wmówić że to normalne. Czy ktoś miał podobny problem?
  7. Today
  8. C I L L my landlord.
  9. Sounds cool. Free stuff is free stuff.. Maybe they are more from the 60s than 70s.. Or maybe it was what was left before Norlin took over. Donno... But worth finding out I think. It also occurs to me that maybe if its old mahogany it may be Honduran? Which would be well worth saving.
  10. Not 'stupid', Sal...............perhaps 'silly', but not stupid. There have been times in the past when I was tripping over guitars in the house. The old band got confused when I'd show up for a gig with a different guitar every time.......Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker. Same with amplifiers.......Marshall, Mesa, Fender, Carr...........got kinda silly with it. Too many options.............completely submerged in wants rather than needs. Spent years and untold dollars chasing a phantom...........change for the sake of change. Still I suffer. I spot some apparently cool piece on the web and begin the mental gymnastics of convincing myself I need that one........this one will be the one......it's beautiful!........bet it sounds like a choir! Then the devil on the other shoulder pipes up and says don't be silly......we don't need that guitar........we just want it. I remind myself that all I really want is to play guitar...............to do that I only need one. When boiled down to their essence, a guitar is a guitar is a guitar........it's color, it's shape, it's tonal nuances........all those little things mean nothing when it comes to actually playing guitar......making music They all have six strings suspended above a body of wood.......they all make very similar sounds when struck. Regardless of my wants, a single instrument fulfills my needs.......... (The concept of free will comes to mind: our wants spring from where? One cannot consciously create a want.......they simply appear in one's consciousness, seemingly from nowhere. Where is the free will in that? Who or what put that want in our head? Well I can't answer that, but I can control my reaction............I can exercise free will in choosing what to do with that want.)
  11. Not to side-track the conversation, but "Pretending to be a fidiot" sound a lot like what Seaman Doug Hegdahl did while in captivity during the Vietnam war. An amazing man and an awesome story! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hegdahl
  12. Justin Hayward is justly proud of his vintage 335. I did find the article where he describes his connection to his beloved Gibson: https://justinhayward.com/blogs/news/from-justin-my-cherry-red-gibson-335, As you accurately mentioned, Mr. Hayward had so many other projects going on besides the Moody Blues. There was an extensive article a month or so ago about Hayward's career and commercial success which, in hindsight, I should have bookmarked. As for the subtle and not so subtle differences between technology standards in the U.S. vs. the U.K., it's hard to know where to begin. Take household electrical supplies. ..in Europe and the U.K. household currents are 220-250 volts while in the U.S. they are 110-120 volts and the cycles measured in Hertz are different as well,. Metric standards were long ago adopted in U.K. and were implemented in Europe even before that, but the U.S. still stubbornly clings to the archaic British system of miles, yards, and feet. Road speeds are in Miles rather than Kilometers, Americans drive on the right side of the road while the British drive on the left. I would be terrified to get behind the wheel of an automobile in the U.K. and then have to make right and left turns. At least U.S. made Gibson guitars speak a more universal language. Perhaps I got it wrong on the "cheaper priced" Gibsons in the U.K. back in the '60's and '70's but there were so many bands back then and apparently a lot of gear was swapped, bartered, and sold amongst the bands and artists as groups broke up, changed members, or some decided that music wasn't enough to support them so they put down or sold off their guitars and drums and sought other gainful employment. Smuggling seems to have been a known phenomenon for quite a while in the U.K.. (and in the U.S. as well) It's seems there was the dreaded VAT (value added tax) on imports although the tax burden is probably less now than in decades past. I noticed that Gibson recently opened up it's first retail store in the U.K. in London. I'm curious to know how that venture is working out.
  13. By all means go. It's a great opportunity and a way to help move on from your recent loss of a loved one. I've made that drive so many times to see my parents in Palm Springs. Now that my mother has passed, I try to go out to see my dad as often as I can. He is 84, sharp as a tack but has a serious and rare health condition. So I go. For me, it's a drive that can last anywhere from 4.5 hours to 6 or 7. The benefits for you Duane are two fold as I see it. Take what ever he wants to give you and listen to him talk about your father.🙂
  14. Do you still have them (Shaws)????? I'll give you $300 for the pair
  15. She just put out a "huge" rock-n-roll album appropriately called, "Rock Star". It's one of her biggest selling albums. Come on man!
  16. "Signs" -- Five Man Electrical Band
  17. You guys trip out over the weirdest, dumbest things. That’s not a two piece nut, that’s the line where it was masked off during finish
  18. I’m on the seemingly never ending task of culling out old VHS tapes. I had/have some good stuff taped from Austin City Limits in the 80s but due to poor planning, most were taped on SLP and 40 years later they are grainy mush with muffled whistly audio. Sad. Two of the tapes that got unceremoniously cast into the “free for the taking” pile were the 2001 VH1 awards and the 2003 Grammys. I scanned through both. 20 years later, Gwen Stefani and Nellie Furtado looked and sounded awkward and forced. I don’t remember anyone on either show that I could define as “classic rock”, either in the up-and-coming group or the has-been group. Best to wash that memory.
  19. What most of you are doing is known as portmanteaus. That is the combining of two words with separate, different meanings, in order to create a new word with a new meaning. I used this as a warm-up assignment with my students one day when, after one of my students asked me, "Mr. C, have you ever felt your cellphone ring and you reached for it and it didn't"? "Like a false alarm?" "Or phantom ring?" I said. So I got it. It's called a portmanteaus. It's a French term. In this case there were a couple of examples on Wikipedia I found. Phantom vibration syndrome or phantom ringing syndrome is the perception that one's mobile phone is vibrating or ringing when it is not. Other terms for this concept include ringxiety (a portmanteau of ring and anxiety), fauxcellarm (a portmanteau of "faux" /fo͜ʊ/ meaning "fake" or "false" and "cellphone" and "alarm" pronounced similarly to "false alarm") and phonetom (a portmanteau of phone and phantom)[1] and phantom phone signals.[2]According to Michael Rothberg, the term is not a syndrome, but is better characterised as a tactile hallucination since the brain perceives a sensation that is not actually present.[3] WebMD published an article on phantom vibration syndrome with Rothberg as a source. [4] Several other articles have been published in 2010s, including in NPR, Bustle, CBS News, and Psychology Today. [5][6][7][8] Here's one I've used since high school/ It's the combination of Fu@%ing and Idiot. Fid-iot noun a really annoying stupid person. "That guy's a real fidiot." ARCHAIC a person of annoyingly low intelligence. "he entered their employ and learnt their secrets by pretending to be a fidiot"
  20. I'll try to make this story as short as possible: My pops worked with a dear friend (Patrick) as a butcher at Gemco back in the 70's-80's and I just heard from him as he just found out my pops passed away, and he asked if I was still playing guitar. Patrick used to moonlight at Charvel in the late 70's as a tech and eventually had his own side business for guitar repair and such. He was telling me he doesn't work on guitars anymore and he has some Charvel necks from the late 70'' and tons of tools and guitar parts. I told him I was mostly into Gibson guitars over the last 25 years, and he said he had some Gibson necks from the late 60's early 70's that don't have fret-boards when he was a "Repair Guy" for Hanich Music in West Covina as he did some warranty work for Gibson at the time. Hanich would drive the work over to his house. He said his memory was a little fuzzy but he was installing truss rods on both of them and when Hanich Music closed down he kept the necks and a bunch of other guitar parts. I asked him what wood species the Gibson necks were and he said they were one piece mahogany and the tenon joint was medium to long type on both. and the necks are sanded bare...... I always thought Gibson Norlin Necks were 3-piece maple... I dunno. Anywhoo, he told me if I want to do a road trip to Hemet CA, I can take everything he has collected for $0.00... The only catch is he wants to hang out and have a lunch and talk about old times, as he thought the world of my pops.
  21. Yeah.... I'm afraid those 29" Waist Levi's will no longer fit....and my forehead has become a fivehead.
  22. Too much girth too little hair. Thanks for the compliment. I had a heck of a time getting YouTube to let me post that.... Copyright issues!
  23. Cool! Re pics: use a site like imgur to upload the pics then paste the “direct link” (if you are using imgur) in a post here. The images should pop up. Love to see the pics of the Garage and the guitar!
  24. By jove, I think you’ve got it! Hope the brainac who thought of squeezing twice as many headstocks out of the board got a raise that day.
  25. Well gee, They are completely different. One’s red and the other one isn’t. Think of it as each goes with a different pair of shoes 😙
  1. Load more activity