Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson les paul Zero Fret Nut metal dust.

scottpaine_69

I don't mean to just limit this to owners of 2015 Gibson Les Paul owners but I'm just curious about The pros and cons of the new Zero Fret Nut on the 2015 models. I'm looking for opions from people who have been playing these models for an extended period of time not just for a few minutes at a guitar store. As for my experiance, I've had no issues with playability, string slippage or tuning. In fact! The G-Force tuning system works a lot better with the Zero Nut Fret setup than with a regular nut. I have noticed 1 major thing with the Zero nut fret, I've noticed little peices of metal dust laying on my first fret from the Zero fret nut. and when I changed strings again the other day there are now grooves starting to cut into the flat ungrooved peice just before the first fret. I've e-mailed gibson about this and they got back to me very quickly about it. At first they were going to send me a replacement but they e-mailed me back and said that they cotacted the factory and somebody would be getting back to me because they wanted to talk more about the issue with me. So my question is, has anybody else had this issue with there Zero Fret Nut? With this being such a new thing I just wander what the life of this zero fret nut is. Are we going to have to stock up on them and replace them more often than expected or what? Any feedback would help. I hope this also helps anybody with a 2015 Gibson Les Paul.

I now I may not get many hits from 2015 Gibson Les Paul owners because I've only heard from 1 other 2015 owner in the forums so far. But there has to be more than 2 of us that own a 2015 Gibson Les Paul. Right? But any feed back would help on this topic.. Thanks..

I hope this isn't a serious issue, because I was planning on ordering a new 2015 LP standard in like a week or two.

I'm also concerned about the longevity of the Geforce battery life and how hard or easy finding another one and replacing it may be.

I had mentioned this issue before. There is a 2015 demo guitar in store that gets played daily, it has string marks into the "zero fret". It seems the brass Gibson is using is too soft, IMO. This guitar "zero fret" was smooth when it first arrived into that store.

Grestch does a zero fret correctly, because it is a fret.

I had mentioned this issue before. There is a 2015 demo guitar in store that gets played daily, it has string marks into the "zero fret". It seems the brass Gibson is using is too soft, IMO. This guitar "zero fret" was smooth when it first arrived into that store.

Grestch does a zero fret correctly, because it is a fret.

I hope they take care of mine. I don't want to replace my nut once a month. I guess I'll find out the first part of the week. They said they would send me a new nut then I got anther e-mail from gibson saying they talked to the factory and wanted to talk to me more about it but they would take care of the problem. I don't know what thats about. I've never had any issues with Gibson customer service in the past and I've been dealing with them since 1996. They have always done right by me. I hope thats stays the same.

My guess is they want to talk to you about it because this is a new thing, and are interested in your experience/problems with it to help them as much as you.

That obviously, helps everybody.

There is a lot to work out with this thing, I am thinking, and only experience and use may tell us what should be done with it, and how well it will work, if at all.

I do not own one of these, but I DID take a good, hard look at them, playing different ones and putting it through the ringer. I indentified two issues:

1) The nut did not let the strings glide easily over them, which resulted in the guitar going out of tune every time the string was stretched, as in string bending.

2) Some of them did have a little groove or notch starting, which would "ping" when doing string bends near the nut.

Doing agressive string bends in the first position made both of these issues come into play, as doing bends close to the nut caused the strings to slide sideways and also not end up in the same place every time upon release, but also to ping on a groove if it was there.

Personally, from what I can see, having a groove cut in the nut may not be an issue, and neither would wear be on a nut you could easily adjust. In fact, having a groove so the string could NOT move side to side may be more on the solution side than the problem side. Gibson problably wants your experience and opinion on this (as do I ).

Also, if you do NOT do string bends at all, or play slide (which does not involve string bending), that is usefull info as the nut would work in that application. But if you ARE doing string bending and the nut is working for you, that info and why it is working or what you may have done to keep the strings from binding is usefull as well.

I have an update on my Zero Fret Nut issue. Gibson is takeing care of it by sending me a replacement nut assembly with an updated platting method that should eliminate the issue with the metal dust on the fretboard and grooves wearing into the Zero Fret Nut.

I have an update on my Zero Fret Nut issue. Gibson is takeing care of it by sending me a replacement nut assembly with an updated platting method that should eliminate the issue with the metal dust on the fretboard and grooves wearing into the Zero Fret Nut.

Yes.. this new nut was spotted on one of the Ltd Edition models.. I think it certainly looks better (goes with the chrome hardware)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Mahogany-Top.aspx

LPTDM15ANNH1-Headstock_zps6d82d0cf.jpg

I hope its better. But if its just plated brass then I don't see it lasting that much longer.. Could be wrong though (hope I am). :)

Let us know how it turns out [thumbup]

I now I may not get many hits from 2015 Gibson Les Paul owners because I've only heard from 1 other 2015 owner in the forums so far. ...

Actually, I think people are avoiding these new models, and taking a wait and see stance - looking to see what problems crop up with the nut, Gforce, etc.

To bad you had to deal with this. Apparently Gibson didn't do enough testing. Hopefully the new nut will work out. Please post back and let us know how it does.

No matter what metal Gibson uses for the nut, the strings will eventually wear a groove into it. That is not a problem and should not be thought has one as you can always adjust the height of the nut to compensate for normal wear.

Look at this picture on Gibson's website.

http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/2014/gibson-usa-zero-fret/Z-FAN.jpg

I personally think the only reason why Gibson changed the plating method was to slow this grooving process down just enough to prevent too quick an email/phone support and complaints. It is a wear item and will most likely be deemed a replaceable item. Just my take on it.

I am still wondering what the problem is with the first nut.

You kinda say everything works the way you want it to, except for the fact it is leaving metal shavings that you don't like.

Are the grooves a problem? Do you do string bends? Agressive or not at all?

From what I read, the only issue you have is the metal shavings. Is that a reason to replace a nut you think is working well for you? Rather than blowing them off when you change strings?

I hope it doesn't come off as being on your case or disagreeing with you, I ask rather, because YOU seem to like the nut and have experience with it, and we can't get that unless you share it with us.

I am still wondering what the problem is with the first nut.

You kinda say everything works the way you want it to, except for the fact it is leaving metal shavings that you don't like.

Are the grooves a problem? Do you do string bends? Agressive or not at all?

From what I read, the only issue you have is the metal shavings. Is that a reason to replace a nut you think is working well for you? Rather than blowing them off when you change strings?

I hope it doesn't come off as being on your case or disagreeing with you, I ask rather, because YOU seem to like the nut and have experience with it, and we can't get that unless you share it with us.

I bend the strings quit a bit. I do a lot of Zakk wylde pinch harmonics. I've noticed the ping sound during the bends at the lower frets on the E and A strings mainly. It doesn't come throught the amp at all (which is kinda weird but good). I've had no issues with tuning or intonation. I don't want to stop playing every 10 seconds to blow the metal flakes off my fretboard and I've only had the guitar for just under 2 months and the grooves are fairly deep. I don't want to change the nut every other time I change the strings. I do hope the new assembly they send doesn't where out this quick. I'm kinda stuck with it now. I love the guitar, so if I have to have Gibson send me a cases of Zero Fret Nut assemblys every year then thats what the're gonna have to do. After I recieve the new nut and replace it I will let everybody know if it works any better.

I bend the strings quit a bit. I do a lot of Zakk wylde pinch harmonics. I've noticed the ping sound during the bends at the lower frets on the E and A strings mainly. It doesn't come throught the amp at all (which is kinda weird but good). I've had no issues with tuning or intonation. I don't want to stop playing every 10 seconds to blow the metal flakes off my fretboard and I've only had the guitar for just under 2 months and the grooves are fairly deep. I don't want to change the nut every other time I change the strings. I do hope the new assembly they send doesn't where out this quick. I'm kinda stuck with it now. I love the guitar, so if I have to have Gibson send me a cases of Zero Fret Nut assemblys every year then thats what the're gonna have to do. After I recieve the new nut and replace it I will let everybody know if it works any better.

Thanks.

I am gonna guess, that along with the grooves, it kinda smoothed out making the strings glide more smoothly across the nut. That, or some nuts work better than others. Maybe due to the level of finishing/polishing?

But I think I can see where, in your case, once the grooves get a good start, I can see them wearing quickly.

When I treid them, there were 2 things I could think of trying. One was to polish it, the other was to cut grooves in it and finish the grooves as a "normal" plastic nut.

Another more permanent solution, would be to make the whole thing out of another materiel, such as stainless steel.

And yes, I am curious as to how this nut will work for you, in particular in that YOU were able to both get your origonal nut working for you, AND the fact you were able to wear it so quickly.

I received my new Zero Fret Nut replacements from Gibson today. They sent 2 of them +6 screws. They said it's a new plating process but they look the same as the one on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing yet but on the packing slip were the part # is supposed to be it just said Prototype.

Quick update on the zero fret nut replacements I received today from Gibson. Upon closer inspection the grooves that the strings go through are consiterately smaller than the original that came on my Gibson. I know alot of people have mentioned the strings making noise and sliding around the nut when the strings are being bent. I think the new nut design will take care of that problem. I don't know if thats gonna be an issue when I put heavier gauge strings on it. I play .009 to .046 most of the time but when I'm working with on of my buddies on his originals he want the guitar tuned down to A or A# so I use .011 to .056 guage strings. O well! We shallsee if this fixes my original problem of metal dust and if it last longer then 2 months before more grooves get cut into the nut.

I received my new Zero Fret Nut replacements from Gibson today. They sent 2 of them +6 screws. They said it's a new plating process but they look the same as the one on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing yet but on the packing slip were the part # is supposed to be it just said Prototype.

Prototype...

Damn man, you should send them an invoice for your efforts...

Kinda sucks that you spend so much money on a product only to get prototype units that you have to report back on... I mean really!!! Surely it cant be that hard to test these BEFORE they send them out to the public?

Im not normally the kind who would try and tell a business how to act.. But I think that's a poor show Gibson.. Really. If you are gonna make such drastic changes, at least make sure it works...

Prototype...

Damn man, you should send them an invoice for your efforts...

Kinda sucks that you spend so much money on a product only to get prototype units that you have to report back on... I mean really!!! Surely it cant be that hard to test these BEFORE they send them out to the public?

Im not normally the kind who would try and tell a business how to act.. But I think that's a poor show Gibson.. Really. If you are gonna make such drastic changes, at least make sure it works...

Umm...I hope you aren't taking anything out of context here.

Gibson hasn't asked for anything here- there is no expectation to do anything on the part of our man here.

Anything done, if anything, is strictly a public service to us brothers out of opportunity.

If a dude has something and you made an effort to improve it and all you have are prototypes, sending a number of those is the best that can be done.

I'm personally interested because I like the idea and think it's a good one, but don't think they work. I WANT them to work, thus, taking an interest. But please don't take my post to mean that somewhere earlier there was an expectation to have to report or give an opinion on the part of Gibson as a condition.

Umm...I hope you aren't taking anything out of context here.

Gibson hasn't asked for anything here- there is no expectation to do anything on the part of our man here.

Anything done, if anything, is strictly a public service to us brothers out of opportunity.

If a dude has something and you made an effort to improve it and all you have are prototypes, sending a number of those is the best that can be done.

I'm personally interested because I like the idea and think it's a good one, but don't think they work. I WANT them to work, thus, taking an interest. But please don't take my post to mean that somewhere earlier there was an expectation to have to report or give an opinion on the part of Gibson as a condition.

Well yea I may have gone over the top slightly.. Gibson cant and im sure wouldn't demand any feedback, but im sure they will appreciate it. And yes they have done the right thing..

But really my main point is that they are selling a faulty product.. As we all know, the nut is a VERY important part of a guitar to get the best performance from it.... This issue was actually talked about on here before they even came out.. And yet it seems that some of the negative thoughts about using a metal nut were true (even though I still like the idea of it)...

SURELY they must have tested this? So either they knew about the issue and released them anyway, or they didn't know and someone has been really incompetent at their job... And I just expect a bit more from them than that, especially as a LP is a high end expensive product.

Well yea I may have gone over the top slightly.. Gibson cant and im sure wouldn't demand any feedback, but im sure they will appreciate it. And yes they have done the right thing..

But really my main point is that they are selling a faulty product.. As we all know, the nut is a VERY important part of a guitar to get the best performance from it.... This issue was actually talked about on here before they even came out.. And yet it seems that some of the negative thoughts about using a metal nut were true (even though I still like the idea of it)...

SURELY they must have tested this? So either they knew about the issue and released them anyway, or they didn't know and someone has been really incompetent at their job... And I just expect a bit more from them than that, especially as a LP is a high end expensive product.

Personally, I am a little confused as well. I ask the same questions.

It IS possible that the first nuts they made and tried worked fine, but when it came to manufacturing them, something was lost or changed they didn't think would need to be accounted for.

What I think though, is they were so into the "innovation" aspects of it, and how those aspects worked, they completely overlooked what makes a nut good or bad in the first place.

Opps.

I also kinda wonder if they missed the string spacing/wide neck deal, or if that was intentional.

I think it's pretty cool that they sent you a prototype - how many other people can say that about their guitar?

I'd keep that packing slip and not use the 2nd nut if I were you.

YEA! I put the better copy of the packing slip in my guitar case and the other one with my paper work. The 2 prototype nuts each have the little hex screws in them plus they sent me 4 extra screws. They are made a little differant than the original one that's on my guitar. I hope I don't have to use the second one.

I am a little doubtful of a brass nut of any kind. I mean why?

And if you're seeing little dust flakes every time you play, you know that is material coming off that will quickly add up to a lot of missing material from the nut.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll put up some pics. of the differance between the Zero Fret Nut that came on my guitar and the prototype ones Gibson sent me as replacements. Besides having a differant plating The slots were the strings go through are much smaller on the replacement prototype zero fret nuts. That should get rid of the pinging sound when you are doing agressive bends. Anyway! I'll be switching them soon so I will and I'll put up some pics. to show the differance.

There are two more points making me think.

First, despite of working flawlessly on my Floyd Rose LP, there are two screw holes needed for the zero fret nut placed at the weakest spot of the neck. Moreover, they say they use thicker fretboards now and say these would increase sustain, but in fact there has to be less wood of the mahogany or maple neck itself, making the nut position even more delicate.

Second, as could be seen in a Brian May 2014 rig rundown video linked here some months ago, he reported that 1st to 24th frets of his original 1963/1964 Red Special are still stock. Just the zero fret was replaced in 2007 after playing her for more than forty years as his main guitar. In my opinion this is an interesting benchmark.

Just MPO but I'd bin that whole nut assembly and just put on a GraphTech nut. I've been using them for a while now and my LP's are gradually getting around to having them all replaced with the GraphTech's because they're faultless. Installed and cut correctly, you can forget about them and bend away to your hearts content. I wish Gibby would just use these straight out of the factory. Save a lot of people a lot of headaches. These Pleiked Corian nuts arn't that much chop either.

Archived