Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD! SG Standard

Rick

Hi all ;)

First SG for me - it's a '08 Gibson SG Standard in gorgeous Ebony finish! I bought it from a friend of mine, but it's in perfect conditions. It's very light and aggressive, It's a new world for me [thumbup]

DSCN1800_zpsd252b235.jpg

I'll put Schaller straplocks and Grover Kidney keys on it, and maybe i'll change the pups - I'm not very into the 490R/498T combo [mellow]

Congratulations!!! [thumbup]

Awesome SG!!!! It's simply the easiest playing guitar around, and it just rocks! Bummer you're not too fond of the 490/498, give a Classic 57/Classic 57 Plus combo a shot and see how it sounds for you. Enjoy it!!!

HNGD!!!

Nice, love the look of the fret board and binding. Play with the volume and tone controls a little before giving up on the PU. Rolling back the vol a little can give some great sounds and you can also lower them a little too. The Angus Young is one of my fav pu for the bridge and a BB1 in the neck, Enjoy

You might think twice about the Grovers, they might add extra weight at the end of the neck and contribute to "neck-dive." I personally like the more vintage look anyways.

8582756421_91bde69996.jpg

Somebody put Schallers on this old V, I put on the Tonepros and they are much lighter. This guitar used to have a bad neck-dive but doesn't anymore

Thank you all.

Congratulations!!! [thumbup]

Awesome SG!!!! It's simply the easiest playing guitar around, and it just rocks! Bummer you're not too fond of the 490/498, give a Classic 57/Classic 57 Plus combo a shot and see how it sounds for you. Enjoy it!!!

HNGD!!!

Yeah I noticed that's a very light and comfortable to play guitar. I had a Les Paul Standard and the SG is far away from it, don't know why I waited so long to get one!

Nice, love the look of the fret board and binding. Play with the volume and tone controls a little before giving up on the PU. Rolling back the vol a little can give some great sounds and you can also lower them a little too. The Angus Young is one of my fav pu for the bridge and a BB1 in the neck, Enjoy

I lowered both pickup and raised a bit the bridge's poles, while lowering a bit the neck pu poles. Now she sounds better, a little bit fatter and less crunchy.

I've ever been curious about the AY pickup, but I have only seen one once and never tried. How does it sounds, approx. ? I saw that it's usually paired with a '57 in the neck :)

I'm a Seymour Duncan Pearlygates lover, though, I used it on the LP with an Alnico II pro.

You might think twice about the Grovers, they might add extra weight at the end of the neck and contribute to "neck-dive." I personally like the more vintage look anyways.

[...]

Somebody put Schallers on this old V, I put on the Tonepros and they are much lighter. This guitar used to have a bad neck-dive but doesn't anymore

I don't really care about the neck diving, cjsinla, I have a Warwick Corvette Jazzman 5 that dives like a bomb [tongue]

I love the look and the performance of the Grovers!

Great guitar!

I was never a fan of SG's, but I bought a copy several years ago...I have had 5 since then, and am getting my second Gibson SG Special this weekend.

The 490 pups are really great - I suggest setting the tone controls between 8 - 5, and backing off the vol just a number or 2...it really smooths out the sound, and brings out the PAF tones that these pups are designed to produce. I also took time to sort out the pole piece heights of both pups for tone and adjusting the bridge pup overall height to find the "sweet spot" where it really sings. Then adjust the neck pup to match the output. The 490's can really sparkle and scream when they are set up just right, and it's just spending the time to do it to your own taste.

Enjoy your SG !

mark

Nice guitar!

I have the 57 pickups on my '61 Reissue, and I think they're awesome, but I also like the Pearly Gates pickups as well. I put them on a Dean Evo with coil splitting capabilities, and I get a huge variety of sounds out of them.

Archived