Gibson Brands Forums

1962 50th Anniversary Sharaton

BlackDot

Hey, guys.

Does anyone own one of these yet? I ordered one from GC online (on back order) and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them yet. I ordered the cherry finish with gold hardware. Everything about this guitar looks sharp (at least online). I'm anxious to hear what it sounds like (my first experience with mini humbuckers). So, any opinions?

I have one i think they are all gone. They were only building 1962 of them . Its a great Guitar .

I just looked on GC they say they have one most of them are sold out so if you can get one . get it they are a lot of guitar for the money

I just looked on GC they say they have one most of them are sold out so if you can get one . get it they are a lot of guitar for the money

It's a beautiful guitar. Quality is exceptional and it looks great. You'll never regret on buying this guitar. I've heard that some of this guitars come with imperfections. But mine is perfect, here a picture of my 1962 50 Anniversary Epiphone Sheraton.

IMG_0211.jpg

Best regards,

It looks like MF has one with the tremolo bar if that's of any interest. Like the looks of it Roberto & Bender. Beautiful guitars.

Anyone have or played a Broadway? What's the buzz with that git?

Aster

mine's a specimin of perfection....it's my favorite above my Gibsons and Fenders because of the tones it produces.

hope you can still get one !!

GarysCam293_zps9b2e915d.jpg

Bender, how do you like the bigger heel, at the body? It was the first thing I noticed, and the

ONLY thing, that I balked at. Still trying to decide, if I'd get "used" to it? [confused] :unsure:

I loved the looks, and TONE, though!

CB

Bender, how do you like the bigger heel, at the body? It was the first thing I noticed, and the

ONLY thing, that I balked at. Still trying to decide, if I'd get "used" to it? [confused] :unsure:

CB

1st ....Roberto Carlos.....that has to be one of the most beautiful guitars i've ever seen !!

hey CB, the heel on mine's not really an issue.....noticible, yes, but not an issue. I do have to go into classical hand position near it, but it's quite natural.

my main issue w/ALL Sheris is the lack of f/b inlays beyond #15...I USE those markers dangit, but not on my Sheris.

Hey, guys.

Does anyone own one of these yet? I ordered one from GC online (on back order) and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them yet. I ordered the cherry finish with gold hardware. Everything about this guitar looks sharp (at least online). I'm anxious to hear what it sounds like (my first experience with mini humbuckers). So, any opinions?

Musician's Friend seems to have some brand new ones left with the Tremotone, in Cherry Red. I would say, grab one if you can, 'cause once they're gone, they're gone, being a limited edition.

I got one from them (Frequensator model, though) and I just love it [love] . Light-weight and balanced I find, with a nice fast neck and brighter pickups than say Epiphone's Lucille's got. The overall quality of assembly, finish and electronics (Gibson pickups, US pots) and the (allow me to be somewhat shallow here) smaller headstock make it a quality, balanced (IMHO) guitar. Of course, YMMV and other caveats apply.

the fretboards are most likely dyed, but the grain of the RW on mine is amazingly good to look at.

fb's are one of my biggest "ids" about guitars, and this one almost "excites"(sp?) me... [blush] .

not to sound pervish here...but i'd love to see y'alls fb's if you have any pics.

the retailers' sales pic of mine is the best I have....

62505_zps93a72cec.jpg

6250_zpsb557de8b.jpg

CB

I haven't noticed mine at all while playing. I really love the way mine sounds, so much so that I have been thinking about picking up one of the blems from Ebay.

I haven't noticed mine at all while playing. I really love the way mine sounds, so much so that I have been thinking about picking up one of the blems from Ebay.

i'm wanting one in VSB like Robertos' so badly I can feel it.

mine is a really great guitar that came out of the box that way (Sweetwater Music set it up & test drove it before shipping) which is seldom heard of w/guitars at their price-point.

The mini-humms are definitely a different animal from any other pickup....they could have tossed a few more windings on the neck p'up, but it sounds really good, and p'up balance is as good as its' physical balance, which is superb !

• 5 months later...

I've just ordered one today, Natural finish. They're rare now in the UK and I wish I'd found out about them earlier.

My only concern is that the online store I've ordered it from, Dawsons, will be shipping me one that's been in one of their small chain of stores (they have just three left across three of their stores). I rang to discuss this as I'm concerned there may be an element of shop soiling - not that I'm bothered about finger marks, just anything more serious. Anyway, I've taken the plunge after the chap on the line reassured me.

I'm also crossing all fingers and toes after reading the long thread here about poor quality control in the form of all sorts of issues, some quite startling to me. I have a very good guitar tech so as long as any issues are easily corrected by some skilled fettling by him I shall be a happy bunny.

Wish me luck! I'll report back next week!

[drool]

[bored]

Sweetwater is apparently getting some soon.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETC2NAGH3/

They MUST have sold more than 1,962 by now surely? I expect the future serial numbers will read "No. 4,056 of 1,962" ! <_<

Of course they could change to '1,962 of each colour'.

tweed2: It's with FedEx now and should be with me on Monday. Pics will follow asap. \:D/

Received a few minutes ago!

Ta! Da!

Sheraton_1.jpg

Sheraton_2.jpg

Sheraton_3.jpg

[scared]

Observations:

1. The headstock was totally separated - not even hanging by a thread.

2. This guitar has an incredibly weak spot where the break occurred. Just look how little wood is left once the truss rod hole is made!

3. Poster(s) on other threads about this guitar showed either full cracks at the same spot or cracks in the lacquer indicating a break had already started. So it's a common problem almost certainly known by Epiphone/Gibson.

4. The neck rests on the usual sort of 'table' in the case (see pics), with the somewhat large headstock hanging from it in mid air. This has clearly acted as an excellent fulcrum point so that the slightest kinetic energy applied to the packaged case during transit (and couriers apply a LOT) would immediately sever the headstock.

5. The UK supplier is collecting the bits tomorrow by courier and shipping me a replacement. I have asked that they pack something under the headstock so that it has no travel in the event of stress.

6. Is this a 'feature' of just these anniversary models or was this a weakness in the original model? I suspect the craftsmanship in 1962 would not have allowed this.

7. You guys who already own one:- there are now only 1,961 possible to be in circulation, so yours has increased in value!

8. You guys who already own one:- for heaven's sake be sure to never ding your headstock - it will almost certainly snap off at this awful weak point.

John

Oh, MAN [scared] ...that's too bad, Skyline! [thumbdn][crying] Gibson/Epiphones have always had

a "weak" spot, in that area, due to (as you've observed) the lack of "wood" there, and the

angle of the headstock. Maple necks are less prone, to snapping like that, especially if

they're multi-layered, as some of the regular Sheraton's are. But, Mahogany is a soft wood,

compared to Maple, so is more prone to those breaks. But, yeah...it IS a "design" flaw,

that's well known. In the "Norlin Era" Gibson used a volute, to try to bolster the strength

of that area. Many people didn't like it, because it was "non-traditional," looking. But,

(in my case, at least) the volutes seems to work, as I have never had a problem with my '76

LP Deluxe, or '80 LP Custom. But, they have multi-stripped Maple necks, as well. So..???

The other factor, is even less wood, due to the type of Truss Rod, especially at the adjustment

end, that the Chinese/Asian guitars have. A rather large hole, at that site, (as your photos

illustrate) takes even more wood away, than the normal Gibson TR does. It's one reason, I wish

Epi would go back to the Gibson style Truss Rod (and, 2 hole covers). For a bit better strength,

and the more accurate spec's, overall, to the originals, as well.

Hope your replacement arrives "safe and sound!" Good Luck!

CB

Archived