Gibson Brands Forums

WANTED: Small Amplifier

J.R.M.30!

I'm looking for a smaller, amp one that is different then my Crate GFX-15 but about the same size and might even replace it. The amp can be 4-15 watts, and can it doesn't even have to have it's own overdrive channel. I guess I'm looking for something punchy, dirty not necessarily clean and pristine, something that doesn't have a ton of controls/effects. I've heard of the Orange Tiny Terror, Goodsell amps, and VHT amps. My price range is $300-gulp maybe $1,500 (but probably way lower). Any hints would be much appreciated!

Note: The Vox A4 and the Roland Micro Cube are not what I'm looking for. Any hints would be appreciated! [smile]

If you could go a little more, I would check out the Blackstar HT5 head or combo.

I am really digging the head I got last week, and I am running it through a new Orange 1x12 with a Celestion Vintage 30.

Check out some of the demos on YouTube of it.

5 watts and it is loud, and you can get the nice dirty tones on low volume, as that is the way they designed it.

+1 HT5RH.

I got one last week, added a 4x12 Acoustic cab over the weekend and I'm diggin it. I rewired the cab to 2x12 @16 and it is perfect for my 20x20 space - great tone, moderate volume.

They'll be burying it with me.

Marshall MG 15fx.. ive had one for over ten years.. it does me just fine and cost about £120 new (these days, I bought mine for £90)

For the price I think its pretty good.. You can hear mine here

BUT if you want tube.. when I was looking for a small tube amp a while back I tried a combo one of these that was pretty good (combo at 3:45)

Marshall MG 15fx.. ive had one for over ten years.. it does me just fine and cost about £120 new (these days, I bought mine for £90)

For the price I think its pretty good.. You can hear mine here

BUT if you want tube.. when I was looking for a small tube amp a while back I tried a combo one of these that was pretty good (combo at 3:45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkLe_qSBuIU

Do the chrome glasses come with the amp? :)

With a price range of 300 to 1500, there are a ton of amps. I like to have a 12" speaker, nothing smaller. In the 5 watt range the VHT Special 6 Ultra is a great amp at the lower range and The Marshall SL5 at the upper. in the 15 watt range the Marshall DSL 15C are good as is the VOX 15 watters and the Fenders. Lots of amps.

I'll second the VHT Ultra 6. Plenty of gain. Plenty of features. You can run about any power tube you want and the amp changes flavor with the type of power tube you run. Really cool amp for the money.

Surf - I made my volume boost adjustable so you can dial in the boost level. The boost wasn't that useable until I did that. I ended up selling the thing to fund something or other.

Surf - I made my volume boost adjustable so you can dial in the boost level. The boost wasn't that useable until I did that. I ended up selling the thing to fund something or other.

That's a cool mod. I found the stock boost useful, but I'll check into that mod. I've thought about selling mine as well. It's a great little head, but I have so many others it doesn't see much action and it's big - hangs over the sides of my 1-0 or 1-12 cabs.

I'd recommend checking out one of those VHT Special 6's also. I tried out the 1X12 version at a local Guitar Center *edit* in their used department, and I was really blown away by the sound. Great amp.

Also, check out a Carvin Vintage 16 too if you can. It's a great sounding little amp. You can switch between 5 or 16 watts. Here's a pretty good demo vid. I'm gassing for the amp head version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p97UTgb7uww

Archived