Gibson Brands Forums

Bass Strings on a Guitar

Izzy

Hi all,

I have been using the top two strings of my guitar to create bass lines and then I saw this dude's guitar and thought, "isn't that bad for the guitar? I mean if not, I may just have to do that!"

Basically, the second guitar he has appears to have two fat strings instead of the standard low tops. The vid shows what I'm talking about.

Is it bad to put bass strings on a guitar? I mean, isn't it a strain on the poor neck of the instrument? Twisting neck issues may occur? Anyone here ever done this?

http://youtu.be/gWwUsPvIJao

There are 6 string acoustic basses. He may have had custom nut made up, and transformed an acoustic bass to a 2 string bass, 4 string guitar acoustic combination. Similar to a baritone bass.

Hmm, that is very interesting..

Im not sure it would make much difference in string tension but youd have to deepen and widen the nut slot and the bridge saddle (and possibly the string hole where you feed it in?).. and probably raise the bridge too on those strings...

A good idea I think.. thanks for posting [thumbup]

The most critical among the irreversible modifications are those of the tailpiece in order to make it suitable for bass string ballends. Preparing nut and machine heads for the gauge are easier to reverse.

When paying attention to the string tensions, there should be no problem for the neck. D'Addario specifies tensions for each string, and they can be recalculated for length (reciprocal to length for a given pitch) or pitch (varies quadratic with pitch). So I think Bernhoft has created his own string set of guitar and bass strings for tone, playability and balance as well. (I did the same five years ago for a ten string guitar I later returned due to poor craftmanship after two unsuccessful repair attempts by the distributor.)

Considering the invasive modifications that you would have to do on the guitar-some irreversible-I definitely wouldn'r do it to a guitar of any monetary or sentimental value and that's not even taking into account the damage that the extra and unbalanced tension that the bass strings would put on the neck and bridge of the guitar.Bass strings are markedly thicker than standard strings and despite being tuned an octave lower,because of their heavier and much wider girth they exert a lot more tension on the bridge and neck than those of a standard 6 string,that is a large part of the reason that bass necks are so much more substantial. Unless you can afford to toss the guitar in the bin if the experiment fails,it wouldn't be advisable to do such a radical modification.

I do know that 12-strings some with factory instructions to use light gauge strings only or else the warranty is void. So take that with a grain of salt.

I couldn't see the vid - if it was an acoustic it mightv'e been customized with bracing & whatnot. But the biggest practical issue for swapping in bass strings is that the nut & bridge need to set the string high enough so it can vibrate freely and it doesn't buzz on the frets. Try one on & see how it plays.

Gibsons have famously weak neck joints, both at the headstock and body. Maybe try it out on a Fender.

I'll still go with it being an acoustic bass converted to a baritone, or tow bass strings, four regular guitar strings. (With mods to bridge, saddles, and nut).

So you're saying BASS moded to become a guitar? That makes more sense I think. [mellow]

I did a little Googling - the guitar is a modified EKO Ranger, either a re-issue or an 80's vintage. Either way, they're cheap, somewhere between $100 - $300 either new or vintage on Ebay.

Haha, you nerd! Thanks for figuring it out [thumbup]

A couple of bass strings on a standard 6-string guitar is a very interesting concept (I liked the sound from the vids too). This is kind of similar to the way jazz players use a 7-string guitar, where the 7th string is an "A" an octave below the 5th string.

Other than have to make physical accommodations at the bridge/nut/tuning machines.... to determine the tension on the neck is just a few mathematical calculations, something I like to call "Fun With Math."

I'll give the "shortcut" explanation. To start the math project you will need to know (for the specific guitar in contention):

Scale length

String Gauges for the 5th and 6th strings of a "standard" set

Tuned pitch for those strings

The D'addario website has a very good and comprehensive tension chart:

http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

Determine (from the chart) the individual tension applied to the neck for those two strings at normal tuning. Then search the tables for string sizes that exert a similar amount of tension at tuning an octave below (at the scale length in question).

Archived