Gibson Brands Forums

Replaced electronics - no sound

Alex_SG

Hi guys. A few days ago I stupidly decided that the electronics in my 2011 G400 needed upgrading. I ripped all the old cheap stuff out, and bought Better quality pots and caps, a new switch and jack, as well as brand new dual conductor wire.

I found a wiring diagram for a SG/G400 on the net, and replicated it exactly. However, I now have absolutely no sound! I have checked all the connections, made sure the amp is on (duh) and the volume pots are turned up.

I am at wits end... I am reasonably competent at soldering, and have always tinkered with electronics, so I figured rewiring a guitar should be easy...

Any advice, ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

"I found a wiring diagram for a SG/G400 on the net, and replicated it exactly"

Hmmmm, probably not...Check your wiring again. Don't assume you did everything right - there's obviously a fault somewhere. Did you use shielded wire? Shields to ground? Make sure they're not shorted to any of the hot leads. Good Luck

"I found a wiring diagram for a SG/G400 on the net, and replicated it exactly"

Hmmmm, probably not...Check your wiring again. Don't assume you did everything right - there's obviously a fault somewhere. Did you use shielded wire? Shields to ground? Make sure they're not shorted to any of the hot leads. Good Luck

Cheers. Yeah, I have double checked the diagram against what I have done, and made sure all shields are to ground. All hot leads are separate and not in contact with any grounds.

I'm now thinking that maybe I heated the switch up too much while soldering and damaged it.

I will try and get hold of another switch tomorrow and replace it, see if that makes any difference.

Hi guys. A few days ago I stupidly decided that the electronics in my 2011 G400 needed upgrading. I ripped all the old cheap stuff out, and bought Better quality pots and caps, a new switch and jack, as well as brand new dual conductor wire.

I found a wiring diagram for a SG/G400 on the net, and replicated it exactly. However, I now have absolutely no sound! I have checked all the connections, made sure the amp is on (duh) and the volume pots are turned up.

I am at wits end... I am reasonably competent at soldering, and have always tinkered with electronics, so I figured rewiring a guitar should be easy...

Any advice, ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

Would you provide the referred circuit diagram please? Perhaps it could be of help enlightening the situation.

I think you could use resistance meter and check if the switch works. You could also try to bypass some elements of wiring, or just temporarily simplify the wiring, and it should help you find out what's wrong. First I'd check the pickups without any other connection, then pots, and so on. Maybe you have short-ciruit that you can't see?

Give us more details - wiring schematic, and if there's completely no sound, or only no sound from the pickups? You may touch the hot signal with your finger and I think you could hear some hum.

amp on (duh) volume up.....good lead cable?

do you use a "killswitch" cable?

perhaps a bad input socket on the guitar?

the above questions asked are due to personal experience,

i've re-checked connections because my amp was on, but the volume was all the way down

another time was due to my "killswitch" cable not being made up, due to a flat-sided input socket (common on Epis)

the fact that you're getting NOTHING, almost has to be either a bad hot or ground main connection.

Can we see the schematic you used? It could be wrong, so if you duplicated it, then it wouldn't work....

I'm thinking a bad ground somewhere too. A pic of your work in the cavity and the schematic you used would help us to help you.

Good luck, dude!

The schematics off the web *probably* work. The issue is how you have interpreted them, the mechanical construction of things, or overheating as you suggest. Just because something is new, do not negate the fact that you could have a bad component from the get-go.

Just be sequential and logical about it - no need for panic.

Like others have mentioned you can check almost everything - pots, wires, connections, switches, jacks with a DVM. Do that. You don't have the pots wired in backwards do you? ie max volume = no volume......

But - before going there - you may check the obvious. Does the amp/cable work with another guitar or sound source?

Murphy's law says that if something else can mess up at the most in-opportune time......it will!

Cheers & beers!

I know you have checked and double checked. but we know that something is not right because the evidence is right in front of you. If I was you, I would dismantle the whole lot, check the components are working with a meter, then start over.

I too would like to see the schematic that you used?

Would you provide the referred circuit diagram please? Perhaps it could be of help enlightening the situation.

Yeah sorry. This one:

wd2hh3t22_00.jpg

It is probably something obvious causing the drama, but I just can't find it!

The scheme looks good and simple.

I'd do the following:

1. Bypass everything - connect one or another pickup directly to the output jack. Just to make sure pickups and jack are OK.

If there is sound:

2. Connect pickups to the switch. To make sure if switch is OK.

If there is sound:

3. Check the pots, maybe they are not well soldered as already suggested.

BTW. Do you have 4-wire pickups? Maybe something's wrong with wire colors.

The scheme looks good and simple.

I'd do the following:

1. Bypass everything - connect one or another pickup directly to the output jack. Just to make sure pickups and jack are OK.

If there is sound:

2. Connect pickups to the switch. To make sure if switch is OK.

If there is sound:

3. Check the pots, maybe they are not well soldered as already suggested.

BTW. Do you have 4-wire pickups? Maybe something's wrong with wire colors.

Ok guys, good news...

I took it all out and started again. For some reason, it still wasn't working. I got a little bit pi$$3d off with it, and bumped the controls. All of a sudden, the amp went nuts, and the guitar started working.

Obviously there is or was a loose connection somewhere. I knocked the controls around a little to see if it would stop again, but so far it's still going.

I guess I'll just put this down to experience, and get a pro to do it next time!

Thankyou all for your help, suggestions etc. I appreciate it!

i cant tell you how many times ive fixed a guitar with either a bad ground somewhere or someone looped a capacitor and it was against something where it shouldnt be. if banging it made it work at some point banging it again will stop it from working. what you should do is go back and make sure nothing is loose and touching where it shouldnt be, had this problem before and eliminated any excess wiring . that solved the problem many times. people tend to put in extra to bake the job easier then jam it all in place. 99% of problems ive run across are ground problems.

I recently changed out pickups on a HH Strat with single volume and tone with three way switch. When I plug it in to my tuner I am able to get a signal from both pickups but nothing from the neck pickup when I plug it in to the amp. Bridge pickup works fine. Any ideas?

Archived