Gibson Brands Forums

removed poker chip

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I removed the poker chip from my LP. I've never bothered before despite being in my 10th year of LP ownership and not generally being a fan of plastic.

I'm very surprised by how much of an optical effect it has. Seems to change the shape of the guitar. An hour or so after removing it I walked past my guitar in it's stand and had to look twice. Seems like the entire upper bout has elongated. Not sure I'm happy, might put it back.

Anyone else noticed this?

Lol im assuming you mean the toggle switch ring :)

Yeah I took mine off my 2008 Standard, it just seemed to be screaming for me to take it off.. its the only one ive removed and I haven't put it back since I did it.. for me it works on some guitars and not for others. Having it there does seem to break the shape up a bit.

DSCN0018_zps0ed3e8bf.jpg

Lets see a pic of it.. :)

Guest Farnsbarns

But.... how will you know whether you're playing rhythm or treble?

I play mainly lead so I always found rhythm/treble confusing anyway. Actually, why rhythm/treble? It seems like mixing imperial and metric units (6' 24cm). Surely it should either be rhythm/lead or bass/treble.

On an arch-top f-hole it works nekkid. Otherwise the only exception I'd allow would be for an original '52and, possibly, a '53 which can be categorically proven to have been delivered before the practice started.

I think ringless LPs look fugly.

[smile]

P.

I've contemplated taking the one off my Les Paul Standard for 38 years. Never quite got around to it.

Although I DID take the big gold ring out from under the Varitone switch on my 345. With the four knobs, pickup selector switch, Varitone chickenhead knob with the 1-6 giant gold ring, and the output jack all in that one area, it was quite busy. Just removing the Varitone ring cleaned it up nicely.

2338123474_c869048ccc.jpg

How about neck/bridge. I have even seen ones you can buy that say Page/Hendrix.

I've actually never given this much thought, although I did see a thread somewhere a while back on "custom" poker chips. The one that stood out as the best with me was "Up/Down".

I Am an Aesthete!

...as I flounce off, Stage Left.........

P.

Can you please stop sending me to wikipedia?

I thought an "Aesthete" was a just a really good farter.

And that just didn't make sense.

Although the flounce was impressive..

...I did see a thread somewhere a while back on "custom" poker chips. The one that stood out as the best with me was "Up/Down"...

There is/was a forumite who had one - the first 'custom' one I had seen - which had something like HAVOC / MAYHEM which I found rather amusing.

I thought an "Aesthete" was a just a really good farter....And that just didn't make sense...

You've obviously never been out for a few pints and a curry with me...

Yours might be a, erm.... Washer.

That's funny right there!

In fact there's quite a lot of fun here. Let's make this a 'Sticky'....

P.

Archived