Gibson Brands Forums

Jam at Lake "Pan"

Kaiser Bill

I must be honest...when I walked in the door and looked at the stage, my heart sank. I was thinking the worst. After I heard these guys play,I wanted to join the band. They are some of the finest musicians I've worked with in my 56 years of playing, including some cats from Nashville.

Last night I went to another session at a community center. That was a train wreck. I couldn't just walk out the door, so I endured 3 hours of torture. Most of the people thought time was a magazine. Half didn't know what key they sang in... I had to bite my tongue as I have no "filter"...so says my wife. I live in a black and white world...no middle ground. Who shows up with a lyric sheet?? Most of these people have been singing these songs for 50 years. You'd think by now they would know the words!! Maybe its just me...LOL

Tonight I hit another jam session in Brownwood Fl at a City Fire restaurant. This time it was blues and rock, so I dusted off the '03 Les Paul. I had a great time and did two sets with the trio. I was invited to return "anytime" and I just might. Very nice folks, and good musicians.

IMG_2182_zpse7a88a50.jpg

IMG_2184_zpsd687319f.jpg

I must be honest...when I walked in the door and looked at the stage, my heart sank. I was thinking the worst. After I heard these guys play,I wanted to join the band. They are some of the finest musicians I've worked with in my 56 years of playing, including some cats from Nashville.

Last night I went to another session at a community center. That was a train wreck. I couldn't just walk out the door, so I endured 3 hours of torture. Most of the people thought time was a magazine. Half didn't know what key they sang in... I had to bite my tongue as I have no "filter"...so says my wife. I live in a black and white world...no middle ground. Who shows up with a lyric sheet?? Most of these people have been singing these songs for 50 years. You'd think by now they would know the words!! Maybe its just me...LOL

That's the problem with "open mic" or "jam" night - sometime the players don't come out and you wish you'd stayed home. Other times it's great to have the fresh never played before synergy.

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday's so called "acoustic" jam was anything but. Half the people brought amps and electric guitars. The other half brought fiddles and banjos and acoustics. When one person got up to play, everyone played along with him. It was abysmal. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

However yesterday back at "Lake Pan" was a great time. Great players for the most part.

IMG_0184_zps9d267cb7.jpg

"It was abysmal. I couldn't wait to get out of there."

well Bill, I hear ya,, why I avoid jams.. some years ago I worked at pretty large technology company with multiple sites in the genearl area. Someone would invariably setup a "JAM" and emails would go out to dozens of players. It wasn't unusual to see 7 or 8 guitar players wailing away at once.

Imagine,, 7 guys, all slamming on E chords while the rest of the crew tried to stumble through "road house blues" Oh the humanity... it wasn't for the squeamish. I showed up at one, left my axe in the car, and was glad I did. I left within 20 minutes of the debacle starting I decided "The LAST thing these guys need is ANOTHER guitarist"

"Hey,, where ya going" - "Church... it's gotta be better than this"

But I gotta say,,, you aint seen nothing till you see a band jam with 3 (count em 3!) bass players..

One main player (who was VERY good) and two "hang oners" (not good) that just decided they'd pickup their guitars and join in and and stat playing when the mood fit. I knew it was gonna be weird when I walked in and saw three bass amps... "What the???" and this was during a BENEFIT!!!

"Why can't I hear the Guitars?"

"Because they've been out numbered"

Most screwed up thing I've ever seen (or heard)

KId...thats a hoot.. I've seen some really weird stuff in my life but never 3 bass players at once. I have seen 2 drummers, and five electric guitars at once. You did the right thing in booking outta there. I went to a "blues" jam once and the bass player was playing through a television set. Yep...that was his amp. [-X

Can't believe I've missed this thread until now!

Great stories from everyone - both the good nights and the bad - and although I almost never feel the slightest twinge of envy I certainly envy KB's frequency of gigging!

[thumbup]

And a +1 for rct's proposals...

P.

KId...thats a hoot.. I've seen some really weird stuff in my life but never 3 bass players at once. I have seen 2 drummers, and five electric guitars at once. You did the right thing in booking outta there. I went to a "blues" jam once and the bass player was playing through a television set. Yep...that was his amp. [-X

A TV Set!! Woa.. I guess this gives credence to the advice, don't ever think you've seen it all.

+1 with what Rich said too..

We should drive down to Florida and jam with Kaiser Bill and then tell bl00z jam stories. And drink. A lot. cause man, I got some bl00z jam stories as I'm sure many do.

rct

On your way pick me up in Bal'more hun. B)

Being an old man with not much time left, I am trying a new venue tomorrow (Sunday). There is a place in Ocala Florida where they jam in the park on Sundays. All are welcome. I'm bringing the boss with me to get some shots. What is it they say?? "No photos...it didn't happen". Heres hoping it doesn't rain. Tonight it POURED!!!!!

Being an old man with not much time left, I am trying a new venue tomorrow (Sunday). There is a place in Ocala Florida where they jam in the park on Sundays. All are welcome. I'm bringing the boss with me to get some shots. What is it they say?? "No photos...it didn't happen". Heres hoping it doesn't rain. Tonight it POURED!!!!!

Shoot, my wife's family live in Ocala. Next time we are over I'll have to check out this Sunday jam! [thumbup] Let me know how it was and which park it was in, Bill. I'm always up for getting schooled by some old guys.

The only decent jam around here is blueberry. [crying]

They have bluegrass jams though, where they have like ten lousy fiddlers all sawing away at some note that they can't quite find. I played with some people and I'm trying to pick a few melody lines over the tune while some autoharp lady is telling me the chords I already figured out. "Cee....... Dee...... Cee...... Gee....."

Sheesh!! No wonder all the dogs die young around here. They have to listen to that stuff. [biggrin]

You know...sometimes it's just better to "call it day," and play at home,

rather than at some "jam" or "open mic" night. If eveyone is a "little"

better than you, it's ok, as you can probably keep up, well enough, etc.

But, if they're WAY better than you, it's best (IMHO) to lay out, and watch

and learn, as opposed to trying to "fit in," and bringing the whole vibe

down. But, alas, LOTS of people don't think like that. [unsure][biggrin]

And, because real "jams/open mic nights" are SO RARE, around these parts,

EVERYONE that owns any kind of instrument shows up, whether they can play,

or not. So, that can be "different"=frightening [scared], as well. [tongue]

CB

rct...no laughing matter, its true...LOL...I went to yet another jam today at Jervey Gantt park in Ocala, and that was pretty much the scenario. This is definitely in my top ten of worst player gatherings. After about 6 tunes I had to leave. It was absolutely unbelievable that nobody could keep time. Three guitars from Wal*Mart, one Fender and one Epiphone. One guy with a fiddle and one with an electric mandolin. It was brutal. (Tuning optional) Who brings lyrics to songs they've sung for 60 years???

IMG_2237_zps390f630e.jpg

IMG_2239_zps7d2f96ff.jpg

Well, I've had a lucky life. I played in bands in bars on up until I was mid 40's. Ten years later, I wouldn't go back to that for anything. My little piece of the basement we call my studio is my support, along with places like this where we can talk about guitars and stuff. I admire you for still trying, but I don't envy you at all. It isn't easy to deal with that.

rct

Archived