Gibson Brands Forums

Incredible Les Paul Build

fingers galore

Guest Farnsbarns

The technique is clever, I'm struggling to see the point. I can see a negative but I'll wait until someone explains the positives.

The technique is clever, I'm struggling to see the point. I can see a negative but I'll wait until someone explains the positives.

Which bit are you talking about :)

While I think some of his techniques seem maybe a bit over engineered.. I don't think theres any real right or wrong way of doing it as long as it gives you the required results.. I guess each person who does this finds their own way of doing things.. I sand my fret ends down with a mouse sander (which works for me :)) some people may look at that and think im a bit odd ;)

Guest Farnsbarns

Which bit are you talking about :)

While I think some of his techniques seem maybe a bit over engineered.. I don't think theres any real right or wrong way of doing it as long as it gives you the required results.. I guess each person who does this finds their own way of doing things.. I sand my fret ends down with a mouse sander (which works for me :)) some people may look at that and think im a bit odd ;)

I'm saying I can think of a small downside to a guitar built this way but I can't think of a positive. I don't see the point of building a 1 piece guitar.

What am I missing?

I'm saying I can think of a small downside to a guitar built this way but I can't think of a positive. I don't see the point of building a 1 piece guitar.

What am I missing?

Lol.... I don't think your missing anything... I think its just what he decided to do, no reason probably one way or another.

So what do you think is the disadvantage?

So what do you think is the disadvantage?

I'm not Farnsbarns, and I don't play him on the beeb, but I think that a significant disadvantage could be the instability of a single piece of wood of that size. It would probably be prone to changes because of the environment, that is, the neck is actually measured from the end of the headstock to the end pin, and that can have a small change make a very big difference at about the ninth fret or so.

Just an observation is all. I'm not a luthier, and they hate me because I call them Luther.

rct

I'm not Farnsbarns, and I don't play him on the beeb, but I think that a significant disadvantage could be the instability of a single piece of wood of that size. It would probably be prone to changes because of the environment, that is, the neck is actually measured from the end of the headstock to the end pin, and that can have a small change make a very big difference at about the ninth fret or so.

Just an observation is all. I'm not a luthier, and they hate me because I call them Luther.

rct

Hmm maybe...

But the one thing that probably is true for neckthroughs too is that the area where the neck and the body meet will be quite a weak point...

I don't want to start any eye rolling... but id say an advantage is having one piece of wood through the neck and the body you should get a nice resonance/sustain but really as we know that's neither here nor there in the long run..

I just think that its something to do... When I got some mahogany and saw it was big enough to make a neckthrough design I jumped at the chance to try it.. just to see what happens and find out for myself if I can tell any difference between neckthroughs or set necks or whatever...

Why do people do anything?

Cos they can :)

Hmm maybe...

But the one thing that probably is true for neckthroughs too is that the area where the neck and the body meet will be quite a weak point...

I don't want to start any eye rolling... but id say an advantage is having one piece of wood through the neck and the body you should get a nice resonance/sustain but really as we know that's neither here nor there in the long run..

I just think that its something to do... When I got some mahogany and saw it was big enough to make a neckthrough design I jumped at the chance to try it.. just to see what happens and find out for myself if I can tell any difference between neckthroughs or set necks or whatever...

Why do people do anything?

Cos they can :)

I agree completely. I've never once felt the need to make a guitar since three companies already make them really good, but I admire anyone that does. It could be fun I imagine.

rct

Stuff like this is why I miss my Father-In-Law. He could build ANYTHING with wood! He even built most of the furniture in his house! If he were still here, I'd LOVE for him to teach me how to build a guitar (and how to use the tools!). He loved everything woodworking and understood a lot of the principles of why certain things were done and why some techniques work best on some types of wood and not others.

BTW, Rabs, he would have gotten such a kick out of your project (and probably could have given you tips/tricks/advice along the way)!

Archived