Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Gibson L4 Lord Have Mercy

RevDavidLee

Lord Have Mercy indeed. I was in the right place at the right time today and brought this girl home to stay! \:D/

Here's a link to the photos - cuz I'll be busy the rest of the day playing her [thumbup]

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/GibsonL4CES.html

I noticed on the 2nd picture down that it looked like there was a scrape by the horn - there isn't - it's a reflection of the gold latch on the case. Enjoy the pics whilst I go enjoy myself with this one.

That really is a big guitar, isn't it? You'd better slow down there, you won't have enough time to play them all.

No problem there my friend. My fun money has expired. And I'm okay with that. I feel like I've reached tonal nirvana.

Actually I have reached tonal nirvana :-({|=

Oh Rev.....ooohh....

Is it a Gibson 'Crimson' edition too?

There was a beautiful one of these on ebay before Xmas....

You lucky....have fun!

WANT....

I don't believe it's a crimson edition since there wasn't an accompanying COA or any mention of that from the seller. (I bought this one local - not off the bay) And I had fun all day and into the evening too. My gal was traveling so I was stuck with playing it for hours. [biggrin]

No problem there my friend. My fun money has expired. And I'm okay with that. I feel like I've reached tonal nirvana.

Actually I have reached tonal nirvana :-({|=

Too funny, that's a gorgeous guitar. May it bring you many years of happiness!

WOW!!! Congratulations!!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Nice find to pick that one up! It looks just darn sweet. If it sounds as sweet as it looks, and I have no doubt it does, did you ever find a nice little gem. Have fun with it, and I'll bet you'll have some tender finger tips come Monday morning. ;)

HNGD!!! [smile]

Enjoy your guitar, I have a 2009 L-4CES I bought new and it is still one of my favorite guitars out of 12. At 16" wide it is a lot smaller than an L-7, L-5 or S400. Mine is the all mahogany back and sides but I have played a few maple bodied L-4 and they are just as nice. I recentally put a ebony bridge and saddle on mine and I really like the change in tone plus I can always go back to the tune-o-matic any time I want. Interesting that your was made in Bozeman, I didn't know they ever made them there. My 2009 was made in Nashville where I thought they all were built. I have noticed after playing new ones at Dave's Guitar, mine has started to really open up. It is always nice to learn something new here. Enjoy yor very special guitar Dave, it can only get better.

Thanks John

Enjoy your guitar, I have a 2009 L-4CES I bought new and it is still one of my favorite guitars out of 12. At 16" wide it is a lot smaller than an L-7, L-5 or S400. Mine is the all mahogany back and sides but I have played a few maple bodied L-4 and they are just as nice. I recentally put a ebony bridge and saddle on mine and I really like the change in tone plus I can always go back to the tune-o-matic any time I want. Interesting that your was made in Bozeman, I didn't know they ever made them there. My 2009 was made in Nashville where I thought they all were built. I have noticed after playing new ones at Dave's Guitar, mine has started to really open up. It is always nice to learn something new here. Enjoy yor very special guitar Dave, it can only get better.

Thanks John

I stand corrected Sir! After your comment about the L-4s being made in Nashville I went back and re-entered my serial number into the website "The guitar dater project" where I usually go to verify information like this. In my excitement in scoring this guitar and wanting to just go play it - I overlooked the entire information the serial number provided [blush]

It's a Gibson alright, and it was made on January 17th alright - but not in Bozeman and certainly not in 1922!!!!!! Doh!

I emailed Gibson with the serial number to see what's up and this is the email I just received from them:

"Thanks for the email. The serial number is consistent with a model made on the 17th day of 2002 in Nashville, TN. Thanks again!!"

So you were correct Sir - my baby was born in Nashville. Jeez apparently the G.A.S. over took me so bad that I failed to read the year of manufacture which also put the Bozeman plant in suspicion. Doh! Thank you for making me go look again. [blush]

Did I mention how excited I was to have scored the L-4? [biggrin]

I really feel for you, having to settle for a lousy guitar like that. Those L4 Gibsons are just horrible, dreadful stuff. Sound bad, look bad, play bad.

Have I convinced you to get rid of it? If so, I'll give you my address for shipping purposes.

I really feel for you, having to settle for a lousy guitar like that. Those L4 Gibsons are just horrible, dreadful stuff. Sound bad, look bad, play bad.

Have I convinced you to get rid of it? If so, I'll give you my address for shipping purposes.

Gee I was all set to ship it until I saw you lived in the land down under. Darn it. Those shipping costs would kill me. [thumbdn][biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived