Gibson Brands Forums

Should I buy an SG

Noel_G

Hi all,

I was looking for a 2nd hand Les Paul on Gumtree, however there aren't really any in my area just now. There is however an SG for sale for £100 GBP, also for an additional 20 the guy will throw in a Fender Frontman 15G practice amp. I am looking to get that classic early Oasis / Noel Gallagher tone. Can this be achieved with the SG??

All help appreciated!!! [smile]

I can't help with the Oasis tone (who?*) but Epi have made some great SG's. Look at the wiki for details of the different models, if you are getting a G400 for £100 and it plays well then that is a good price. Not such a good price for one of the bolt-on neck models.

*expecting irate response 'faster than the speed of sound' [biggrin]

Didn't Noel use a Riviera, and/or Sheraton, for the early stuff? I'm sure he

has a LOT of different guitars, but it seems he's more known for Semi-hollow

body tones. The SG can get you in that "ball park," as it too has dual "humbuckers,"

and you can back off the tone controls, just a bit, to "Simulate" the more rounded

tone that Semi-hollow body guitars impart. So, yeah...it might get somewhat similar

tones, but not exactly. Amps, of course, and pedals, at times, are also a consideration,

when it comes to trying to replicate someone elses tone. Their individual playing style

is also a major factor in their "tone." So...it's not just "what guitar" is involved.

Having said that, SG's also have a bit more "Bite" and/or "Midrange" than Les Paul's,

and especially Semi-hollow bodied guitars, as just a matter of their own characteristic.

Also, with the SG, you'll have unlimited upper fret access (IF that's any consideration?)!

Hope that's of some help/usefulness? [biggrin]

CB

The man himself used one sometimes.....

He's also used a SG like George Harrison's on some of his newer stuff.

You can get early Oasis sounds with basically any guitar with humbuckers if you have the right amp. Of course we all know he played Rivs and Sherry's too and now a Gibby 355 and 345. If you really wanna nail it, you will need a Ibanez TS9 overdrive, Boss delay, and so on. Hope this helps.

Cheers

I used to play a lot of Oasis in a band in the 90s. And I used a g400.

Britpop tone was basically bridge pup and tone control at 10 as far as I can tell :-)

A decent hollow will cost a fair bit more thant a decent semi. I thing the SG is very versatile.

See if you can find out the serial number and model and/or if it has a bolt on kneck.

Hi all,

I was looking for a 2nd hand Les Paul on Gumtree, however there aren't really any in my area just now. There is however an SG for sale for £100 GBP, also for an additional 20 the guy will throw in a Fender Frontman 15G practice amp. I am looking to get that classic early Oasis / Noel Gallagher tone. Can this be achieved with the SG??

All help appreciated!!! [smile]

It all depends on which model SG it is whether it's a good deal or not. Don't forget that the amp is also key to replicating tone and I don't know if that amp will cut it. Fine place to start though.

GAK have them at £199 and £259 for the Pro, but they hold their prices well second hand. I would bet against Deeman that you won't find a G400 for less than £100. Not in any kind of condition, anyway.

Just be advised that you can get a new G-400 for $350-$400 new. That's like 200 pounds or so if I am correct in my conversion. I bet you can find a used one for under 100 pounds.

I wish!

Generally most manufacturers use a direct $ to £ conversion so prices are 30% to 40% higher in the UK than the US (fluctuates a bit due to the exchange rate).

A G400 will set you back around £220 to £250 new (mostly at the upper end) and a G400 Pro around the £260 mark (Specials around £150 ish and limited editions about £350.)

A decent s/h set neck Epi SG usually go for around the £150 mark and bolt necks in the £75 to £100 region)

I wish!

Generally most manufacturers use a direct $ to £ conversion so prices are 30% to 40% higher in the UK than the US (fluctuates a bit due to the exchange rate).

A G400 will set you back around £220 to £250 new (mostly at the upper end) and a G400 Pro around the £260 mark (Specials around £150 ish and limited editions about £350.)

A decent s/h set neck Epi SG usually go for around the £150 mark and bolt necks in the £75 to £100 region)

Here's a link saying £ 201.91 incl. VAT and free shipping for the G-400 Pro:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_sg400_ch.htm

Interestingly, they charge the same for the Worn Cherry G-400:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_sg400_wc_egitarre.htm

I used to play a lot of Oasis in a band in the 90s. And I used a g400.

Britpop tone was basically bridge pup and tone control at 10 as far as I can tell :-)

A decent hollow will cost a fair bit more thant a decent semi. I thing the SG is very versatile.

See if you can find out the serial number and model and/or if it has a bolt on kneck.

From the look of the pictures that I've seen i think its an '07 G-400, Trapezoid inlays on the fretboard and the serial number is I07021147

Looks like a set neck as well.

The man himself used one sometimes.....

He's also used a SG like George Harrison's on some of his newer stuff.

You can get early Oasis sounds with basically any guitar with humbuckers if you have the right amp. Of course we all know he played Rivs and Sherry's too and now a Gibby 355 and 345. If you really wanna nail it, you will need a Ibanez TS9 overdrive, Boss delay, and so on. Hope this helps.

Cheers

I have been an oasis fan for many years and when I was in my teens a was a huge fan, I have Maine road on dvd I even have a bootleg which has bits of both nights, I saw oasis 14 times live but have never seen this clip or seen noel play live with an sg, you learn something new everyday ha.

I paid £150 I think for my s/h G400 and I do not regret a penny of it. Of all my guitars it is the one most played simply because it is the most playable.

The only thing I don't like is the neck dive which I get even using a suede backed strap. This is correctable by various means - I think in the end I will add flattened lead fishing weights into the cavity to balance it (won't need much weight to do it).

Great guitar!

Saw Noel playing an SG on the last Oasis tour in 2009 (Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh).

As far as getting the Oasis 'sound', have a look at this article on Dolphin Music's website:

The Complete Noel Gallagher (Oasis) Gear Guide

I've seen him on the high flying birds dvd playing a cherry gibson sg in the studio but that's it. Learn something new everyday

Archived