Gibson Brands Forums

To Junior or not to Junior

Riffster

So I've been thinking of a single pickup Junior for a while, I like both the single cut and double cut OK,I like the concept of a single pickup but the wraparound bridge and non-carved tops leave cold, then I thought about a new LP Melody Maker but again I want a single pickup.

To buy another axe I need to sell my first Gibson LP since I do not play it much since I gravitate towards my R8.

Then I heard a guy say he'd love a carved top junior and then it hit me, why not turn my LP into a Junior?!

885536C7-E5DA-4B9F-9AC7-62A53B03AD9A_zpsmlq58qot.jpg

I did a mock up with aluminum foil, either a plastic or metal pickguard would conform to the carved top of the guitar.

The pickup switch hole and one vol/tone hole would have to be addressed since I would have vol/tone/coil split switch. Maybe I can extend the pickguard to cover the bridge pickup volume hole.

What do you guys think? I think a metal engraved pickguard Zemaitis style would look killer.

A86CE430-2CC5-4791-AC9B-D48BD5AE836B_zpse6lkzsad.jpg

Interesting idea [thumbup]

And yes I think a Zemaitis style pickguard would look way cool.. and you probably would have to cover the two knob holes.. Ohh and maybe for the toggle switch, just remove the ring and wire it up as a kill switch or something?

Pretty cool though.. will be interested to see what you do :)

You might be able to do something cool using those spare knobs like putting in a pedal circuit you like. a fuzz face for example would be cool, you could use one knob as a blend/ volume (where fully clockwise takes it out of the signal) and the other as the fuzz control

To me Les Paul, SG, Explorers, Les Paul Juniors, Melody Makers are each a line of products, rather than a single product, there has been so many variations within those lines even in the early years.

One could say that what makes a Les Paul a real Les Paul is P90's, trapeze bridge and a Gold Top, but that is just not the case.

Leaving perceptions and semantics aside, I think this is what I want to go for (switch and all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg3FcuY8yIw

I'd say leave the Les Paul as is and get a Junior. I played a Strat for over 20 years then I got 3 Gibsons within a year.(BJA Junior,61 SG Reissue and a Les Paul Traditional). My Junior is the one I play the most. Had to do some minor nut and fret work on it but now I love the thing.

Actually i did not get my point across very well by equating it to a Junior, I was simply meaning single pickup guitar and not a p90 necessarily. I have seen several Juniors with humbuckers for sale locally and I did not realize that everybody would assume the p90 model is what I want.

I simply equated Junior with single pickup.

Like I said in the OP I played Jrs single and double cuts and they are not for me. I do not care for the wraparound bridge which pains me because I wanted an R4.

As I mentioned before I am thinking of a TV Jones Powertron for this guitar with the wiring of the video I posted.

There is only need to cover 1 hole of the V/T controls, if you watch the video you'd see why.

Archived