Gibson Brands Forums

Herd thinning.

ParlourMan

Well, there is a turn up for the books as they say!

In the OP, we had assumed that you had been caught spending all day at work on the Gibson forum and the boss gave you the heave ho and you had to move back in the garage at your parents' house and lose the guitars, but no! The room is needed for other things!

Congratulations!

BluesKing777.

Cheers boys. Yes, the room has a more pressing requirement for its usage these days...... Not here yet, so no chicken-counting just yet. Some weeks to go!

Alas, I'm not spending too much time eyeing up my next guitar purchase at the minute. :D

Congrats PM, new challenges and priorities up ahead ! For the same reason as you when myself and Mrs EA moved to a new apartment we deliberately ensured it had three bedrooms. Master, kiddie AND guitar room ...

Congrats PM, new challenges and priorities up ahead ! For the same reason as you when myself and Mrs EA moved to a new apartment we deliberately ensured it had three bedrooms. Master, kiddie AND guitar room ...

Fatal flaw in yer thinking there, EA. Nowt draws visitors like a nipper. You'll be needing a 4 bedroom… the 'guest' room. This is why I have no music room anymore, we'll need a guest room…. ;)

Cheers though. I've known for months, but as we're drawing closer, I need to do what I've been putting off doing for ages, sell sell sell….

Fatal flaw in yer thinking there, EA. Nowt draws visitors like a nipper. You'll be needing a 4 bedroom… the 'guest' room. This is why I have no music room anymore, we'll need a guest room…. ;)

Cheers though. I've known for months, but as we're drawing closer, I need to do what I've been putting off doing for ages, sell sell sell….

Every silver lining has a cloud eh?

No music room is good though , youll need to practice somewhere else until the bairns old enough to not be frightened by thon big French fella

One step ahead of you there PM. The msusic room converts into a guest roon as required with a fold away sofa ..... genius !

One step ahead of you there PM. The msusic room converts into a guest roon as required with a fold away sofa ..... genius !

Haha, I tried to sell the same idea of a decent couch bed etc... but my pitch was unsuccessful, so a full bedroom installation it is..... oh well.

To be honest, KSDaddy's poist rang a bell for me, walking past a load of guitars, some that go unplayed for reasonable amounts of time asking does it make me happy, nah not really, I just own it.... I'm happy enough to get down to 2-3 that I can tuck away in our room as need be, sell the rest... lower the maintenance costs, lessen the string changes etc etc....

I'm just sick and tired of having 'bragging rights'. That's a pretty empty feeling. What good is it if it just sits there? Dang it, I want a Corvette before I drop dead. And I've got the money to get one right now but I also don't want to deplete the stash fund. And there might be other things I want to do or buy. A bunch of them might just go away and get converted into cash. This morning I read the obituary of a 44 year old guy I had met a few times. 44 years old. Deader'n a doornail. Ten years my junior. I wonder if he woke up that morning and perused Craigslist while drinking his morning coffee and wondered if he should consider buying that (fill in the blank).

Too late now.

I don't play out, I don't jam, hell, I don't even have anyone come VISIT me. Not much point in having a big collection so I can walk around the "full of guitars but totally devoid of people" man cave and say "woo, lookie what I've got!"

I'm starting to resent all these guitars. I scraped and sacrificed to GET them and there they sit.

I'm just sick and tired of having 'bragging rights'. That's a pretty empty feeling. What good is it if it just sits there? Dang it, I want a Corvette before I drop dead. And I've got the money to get one right now but I also don't want to deplete the stash fund. And there might be other things I want to do or buy. A bunch of them might just go away and get converted into cash. This morning I read the obituary of a 44 year old guy I had met a few times. 44 years old. Deader'n a doornail. Ten years my junior. I wonder if he woke up that morning and perused Craigslist while drinking his morning coffee and wondered if he should consider buying that (fill in the blank).

Too late now.

I don't play out, I don't jam, hell, I don't even have anyone come VISIT me. Not much point in having a big collection so I can walk around the "full of guitars but totally devoid of people" man cave and say "woo, lookie what I've got!"

I'm starting to resent all these guitars. I scraped and sacrificed to GET them and there they sit.

same place.

same state of mind.

Too late now.

Quite a lot of honesty in that post Ksdaddy, so I'll respond in kind…

For me buying guitars became a hobby every bit as much as playing them… prizes for doing a job that I don't always enjoy mixed with a wee bit of spoils of success, not that I am "successful" by any means or think of myself that way, I have to work… but I've a far far better existence than if I had stayed where I came from etc if you know what I mean? … All that nonsense aside, they're nice to haves, I'm a mediocre player who hasn't the time to dedicate to being good at it, make no bones about it some of that is my fault, some of it is just that I have a reasonably busy schedule week to week. Add in the change of family status looming and all that it seems safe to say I'm going to be worse at guitar soon instead of better. So I don't see the point in desperately trying to keep them when I won't get playing them.

At the end of the day they're just guitars… perhaps I'll buy some more one day, who knows… but they just aren't important enough to me to get wrapped up in. I'd swap them all to be a good singer, I'd give them all away to be able to change the things I want to change. They're nice but they're just musical instruments and I don't subscribe to 'the one' phenomena, if you're decent at playing you can make any guitar sound like the one…

Too late now.

You'd better get that Corvette, then!

(Make sure you get the one with the good brakes.)

The fines are unbelievable here for speeding and that is the local Polly's only revenue, so driving anything is not as much fun, so I got hooked on the GT5 motor simulator on PlayStation 3. Remote sterling wheel with paddle shifts!

You start off with a baby car, but if you keep at it, you get appearance money, spend that on the heap, blast the others off the track...

I have 'blasting' for a while now and have a full fleet of just about every car I ever wanted.....I just bought and 'hotted up' a 1960 Corvette! And that is the most fun you can have with your feet dry!

So instead of getting another fine, I blast around the track on a PS3. A bit sad, but that is modern life...

BluesKing777.

So congratulations, then.

You seem to be doing this in the right order: professional success first, kids second.

When we started, kid no. 1 was well on the way before job no. 1. Fortunately a decent job came along just before the birth - though it didn't start till 6 months after. Of course that job ended just after kid no. 3 and Gibson no. 1 appeared. In all that time, I reckon I managed to play guitar about 10 times at work and about 10 times at home. Be warned!

Still, the appearance of that Gibson and the move abroad made for a stronger motive and more time for guitar playing. Which led to Gibson no. 2. And as the kids get older, they get keener on having me play to them at bedtime. So there will likely come a time when the dulcet tones of your J45 become essential to family life. Just make sure you keep it and the J200 cased and tucked well away. My Gibsons hide between a bedside cabinet, a solid wood box full of papers and two walls. Whenever the kids choose to use our bed as a trampoline, I only need to defend a very narrow area. There's just space for one acoustic and one electric, though. Since I've got a new job, I'm wondering when I'll be in a position to give into GAS again, and if so where I could fit another good guitar.

Oh, and if you're selling the Keb Mo and have flogged the Recording King already, don't you have to change your moniker?

So congratulations, then.

You seem to be doing this in the right order: professional success first, kids second.

Cheers ...and not so sure about success, shall we just say I've carved out a spot where I appear 'required'. ;)

Oh, and if you're selling the Keb Mo and have flogged the Recording King already, don't you have to change your moniker?

Yes, true enough, I'm a parlourman minus a parlour soon enough.... how does one go about getting a new name on here?

The cajon 'jesus lookin' lad is currently visiting the chiro once a week as his back is knackered and he has a numb thumb. (ooooer). So it may mean he has to quit.... for myself and the singer, the plan is to see how it goes... although I can't be doing it every weekend or 2-3 times a week anymore... so the short answer is 'not sure'. The Mrs happy for me to continue, but the pessimist in me reckons once the changes come it might not be as feasible.

We'll see....

Archived