Gibson Brands Forums

Herd thinning.

ParlourMan

So, the time has come for the PM household to be reviewed and to do a bit of herd thinning on the guitars front.... some changes looming which will see me with less storage space, so probably going to sell one or two of the guitars kicking around.

Selling up all the legacy amps and pedals for the electrics, and will aim to get down from 7 to 3.

So, likely I'll be putting the Keb Mo and either the J-45 or 50 up on the chopping block.

So, the time has come for the PM household to be reviewed and to do a bit of herd thinning on the guitars front.... some changes looming which will see me with less storage space, so probably going to sell one or two of the guitars kicking around.

Selling up all the legacy amps and pedals for the electrics, and will aim to get down from 7 to 3.

So, likely I'll be putting the Keb Mo and either the J-45 or 50 up on the chopping block.

Sorry to hear that. I hope things are okay.

FMA

I've been thinking of doing the same. Too many guitars, and not enough time to play them all. But then, I pull one or two out that I'm thinking of selling, and I struggle to bring myself to get rid of them.

But I really don't need a dozen guitars.

Sorry to hear that. I hope things are okay.

FMA

Yes, all good mate, cheers. Things going swimmingly actually, but I'll soon have considerably less space at home... Probably less playing time as well, so makes sense to trim down to the couple of favourites that I could never part with and sell up the rest.

Too many guitars, and not enough time to play them all. But then, I pull one or two out that I'm thinking of selling, and I struggle to bring myself to get rid of them.

Yes, I feel like I'm looking in the mirror reading that.

Exactly.... I'm not on a world tour, nor likely to ever be... I'll probably be playing less so makes sense to do some thinning.

I've been thinking of doing the same. Too many guitars, and not enough time to play them all. But then, I pull one or two out that I'm thinking of selling, and I struggle to bring myself to get rid of them.

Beauty!

Can I have your L-00 Legend, please?

One I was eying sold.

BluesKing777.

Beauty!

Can I have your L-00 Legend, please?

One I was eying sold.

BluesKing777.

No, that one's a keeper. The L-OO Legend, the Fuller's 1943 SJ, and my 1948 J-45. And one travel guitar. Everything else could go, and probably should go.

The last guitar I sold was in 1986 so I could get a Martin sold my original bought new 62 Strat way to cheap and got the J40 I still regret it. So when I found a SJ200 and was going to sell the J40 some old guy at the guitar shop said " never sell any guitar you own if you still like it" it made sense then and still does to me so now I got 12 . I can always find a good place to store them if it ever comes to that. that's what a 2 "car" garage is for!.....

I keep trying to cut the numbers down. I really do. But for the second time in a couple of years I have a chance to buy one I did manage to sell back. I am giving it some very serious thought.

I have managed to dump all of the electrics except for the lap steels. Letting my 1958 Tele go though was rough as it gets as I had that guitar for a couple of decades. I swear I had nightmares about it for weeks.

My problem is choosing one of my acoustics to sell or even use as trade bait just is not easy. I do have a thing about them (or else I would not own them). And either because of what many of them would cost me these days or rarity it is not one of those things where I can tell myself I can always get another one down the road. My 1946 LG-2 is about the only one that is readily replaced. Plenty of small body Gibsons out there to be had and I have played a bunch that I really liked so finding a good one would not be that much of a chore. So if one has to go on the chopping block that would be it.

At first I thought your tagline was 'hair thinning'.

Do I hear the pitter-patter of tiny feet in the background, PM?

If so, perhaps hair thinning is the more appropriate tagline, though of course congratulations would be in order.

I go through herd thinning purges every few years. I'm thinking about it again just because of the bucket list. I may be buying a Corvette in the next few days with cash but there are other things I'd like to do before my heart explodes while I sleep.

I walk by some of them and ask myself, "Does that guitar make me happy?" You'd be surprised how seldom the answer is yes.

Good luck PM, it looks as if you are well on your way.

Since I joined the forum I have sold 2 Guilds, an sj45, an AJ, 3 Hummingbirds, and a j100x. I am down to a j45 and a camping guitar. Oddly enough it wasn't difficult after the first 2 or 3. I find it simpler; no more stringing multiple guitars, keeping them humidified and adjusted, storage issues, searching for the "sweet spot" when sitting down with one I hadn't played in a while. My string bill has gone way down!

I did it partly out of necessity but mainly as simplification. I think it was EA that started the thread about having one guitar and identifying so completely with it, that it becomes part of your musical identity.(I should go back and reread the thread)but it made sense to me and became a large part of my motivation. I had good arguments for keeping many of them and there are ones that I will miss but it feels nice to rely on one. That said if my (financial) ship comes in it will be easy to reassemble a worthy stable.

Well, having a little one on the way can definitely turn your priorities upside down!

At the other end of the spectrum, since my daughter graduated from college, I've been able to endulge in filling just about every gap in my guitar & amp want list. Approaching retirement, this will eventually be one of my primary tinkering hobbies (especially the electrics), along with model trains. The more toys to keep an old guy feeling young, the better!

I have a long standing inner conflict about all this. I am down to 7 from 12 a year ago...When I play my LG-2 I think I don't really need anything else,...and after going long periods of playing only that guitar, I find I am more focused on my playing and less on guitar comparisons.

I will end up with just one someday, but it's going to be up and down for me for a while. I just picked up a Gretsch Jim Dandy for travel, and am really digging it. I have at least two more to add to the lot (guitars). I still have a half-built 12 fret slotted head mahogany adirondack spruce cross between an LG-2 and and 00-28vs...and a rosewood classical to finish...I was building those 7 years ago and stopped when my son was born. Turned out to be a good deal though...he's usually more fun than any of my guitars :) . Congratulations PM.

How do you guys usually decide to thin the herd? I'm starting to get a lot of guitars and am starting to notice some of them I only play once a month? It's hard because I can remember wanting some of them so bad and now they don't do much for me? I seem to notice this more with electrics, not my Gibson's, but some other brands I have.

Archived