Gibson Brands Forums

High quality amp suggestions

vangoghsear

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again everyone for the replies. You guys are all awesome. So far here is the list of amp manufactures that have been suggested. I've looked at examples of each and a few others.

Carr

Bad Cat

Electric Wood

Phaez

Soul Tramp

Build my own

Traynor

Ceritone or another kit in a custom cabinet

Hughes and Kettner

Rivera

Mesa Boogie

Vox handwired (with outboard reverb)

PRS amps

Dr Z

Handwired vintage style Marshall

Swart

Matchless

Dumble copy

Two-Rock

Kauri wood from New Zealand Amp cabinet(I found a company that does this)

I also looked at:

Vintage Sound Amps

Tone King

Jim Kelley (Just what I was looking for, but really expensive)

Thanks again everyone for the replies. You guys are all awesome. So far here is the list of amp manufactures that have been suggested. I've looked at examples of each and a few others.

Carr

Bad Cat

Electric Wood

Phaez

Soul Tramp

Build my own

Traynor

Ceritone or another kit in a custom cabinet

Hughes and Kettner

Rivera

Mesa Boogie

Vox handwired (with outboard reverb)

PRS amps

Dr Z

Handwired vintage style Marshall

Swart

Matchless

Dumble copy

Two-Rock

Kauri wood from New Zealand Amp cabinet(I found a company that does this)

I also looked at:

Vintage Sound Amps

Tone King

Jim Kelley (Just what I was looking for, but really expensive)

So which ones are top of the list from what you have seen and heard so far?

So which ones are top of the list from what you have seen and heard so far?

I listened to examples of every option mentioned where I could find them. They are all really good amps, not a slouch in the bunch, but I have come up with some leaders for my needs and wants.

A few other criteria that I failed to mention have weighed in to help me narrow my choices. I wanted a smaller, lighter weight combo because I am 56 and not getting any younger, outboard reverb is not a good option for me, I am too lazy to carry the extra unit and plug it in to use it and I really do like a lush reverb. Mojo to me is a unique tone, and a classic, timeless, yet simple look. Based on these and the previously mentioned criteria, some of the front runners out of those I listed are:

Vintage Sound Amps (Vintage 20 or 22)

Carr (Rambler)

Swart: (AST Pro)

Dr Z: (Maz 18 Junior Reverb)

Bad Cat (Cub III 30 watt) (A bit heavy, but lower price than some other options)

Mesa Boogie (haven't narrowed a style yet, but I like the custom options)

PRS (haven't narrowed a style yet, but American made verses SE and also available as custom)

Those are the leaders so far.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I'm going to suggest my favorite boutique amp line for some food for thought for you to check out. I bought three from this company because I love their tone so much. I have a lot of amps - I mean ALOT of amps and if I were forced to sell off all but a few, I would keep my Top Hat amps. I have Bad Cat, Dr Z, Rivera, HiWatt etc etc etc and so when I say the Top Hat amps are my favorites I'm making a strong statement here.

I've owned these amps for just over 10 years now, have gigged with them ALOT and have never had one issue with any of them. Now not all of the Top Hats have reverb, only one of mine does out of the three I own, and it appears to be no longer made - that's my Top Hat Ambassador 35 but I'm quite certain they have replaced it with something else by now. I just did not look at all their current models because I'm quite pleased with my collection and I won't need to buy anymore of them. I also own their Club Deluxe and their Club Royale.

Here's the link to their website: http://www.tophatamps.com/

Good luck with your search and I hope you find something that will truly honor the memory of your Dad. I'm sorry for your loss. Best wishes Sir.

Here's a link to my amps so you can see my Top Hats: http://www.rivercityrockets.com/myamps.html

Looking at the link posted above by the Rev D.L. I was reminded of John Dickinson, an amp-builder who makes some gorgeous stuff just a mile or so from my house.

This is the 2x12 combo. From memory it's made from 'aircraft-grade' aluminium;

DickinsonAmp2x12.png

I don't know if they have a dealership in the States but I've played my #1 LP through one - albeit briefly - and it sounded sensational.

Here's a link to their website;

http://www.dickinson...com/en_GB/index

But The Rev sure knows his amps and if he recommends a Top Hat then it's clearly a serious contender!..............[thumbup]

P.

Looking at the link posted above by the Rev D.L. I was reminded of John Dickinson, an amp-builder who makes some gorgeous stuff just a mile or so from my house.

DickinsonAmp2x12.png

I don't know if they have a dealership in the States but I've played my #1 LP through one - albeit briefly - and it sounded sensational.

But The Rev sure knows his amps and if he recommends a Top Hat then it's clearly a serious contender!..............[thumbup]

P.

What effect would using aluminium opposed to birch ply for example have on tone?

What effect would using aluminium opposed to birch ply for example have on tone?

It's much better for playing Metallica numbers.

OK. Bad Joke. My Bad (Joke). But it's time you were out enjoying yourself, young man!.......................

Seriously? No idea. I was told why - and an explanation might be on the website - but I'm not a physicist. Particle...blah...blah...blah...Resonance...blah...blah...blah...Projection...blah...blah...blah...Vibration...blah...blah...blah...

Nope. Sorry. Can't help.

But it did sound fantastic.

P.

DickinsonAmp2x12.png

P.

Well thank you Sir but I have to admit I've never seen anything like that Dickinson [woot] I would love to play through that beautiful work of art. Wonder how it would sound with a metal bodied resonator? [woot]

Holy crap on the price of that 2x12 Dickinson amp [scared]

Just converted 3500 British Pound Sterling = $5747.00 US Dollars [scared]

I think that's a little more than what the original poster was wanting to spend [biggrin]

And unfortunately they only list one US Dealer which appears not to sell any gear whatsoever but just does repairs and give guitar lessons so no chance of even trying one out. Darn it [glare]

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I had a look see.

That Dickinson has a great overdrive sound, but the all metal body is a bit out of my list since the amp is supposed to be a tribute to my dad who was a woodworker. Nice unique suggestion though.

Capmaster, thanks for the Orange suggestion. Nice amps. And how about those computer amps! I had never seen anything like those. I run across Orange amps in a couple of stores I go to. I'll check them out.

Rev, I have to admit, those Tophat amps sound nice even without reverb.

NHTom, I couldn't find any clips of the Bedrock amps. They seem to be vintage only and not currently in production. They look pretty cool. Not sure I want to go vintage.

Californiaman The Pink Taco sounds really good, but I don't think it comes in a combo version. I don't own a cab. Just combos. Too lazy to make multiple trips.

I was looking at the Mesa Boogies again. I like the Express 5:50 Plus. Really versatile amp, with some nice wood cabinet options. Anyone play one of those?

I was looking at the Mesa Boogies again. I like the Express 5:50 Plus. Really versatile amp, with some nice wood cabinet options. Anyone play one of those?

I have the 5:25, head and 3/4 closed back cab. It was my 40th birthday present to myself 5 years ago and it is a keeper, very versatile amp, it covers a whole lot of ground and it does it well.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I had a look see.

That Dickinson has a great overdrive sound, but the all metal body is a bit out of my list since the amp is supposed to be a tribute to my dad who was a woodworker. Nice unique suggestion though.

The Mesa Boogies sound nice too!

Thinking about your Dad being a woodworker made me think of one of my other favorites in my collection - my Fender Special Edition Hot Rod Deluxe that came with a maple cabinet in sunburst. It's also equipped with a Jensen speaker - this beauty can punch holes in the wall too [woot]

kup9hicgwlsxrkfvrjig.jpg

qtifsljkorzpq4lkqkeb.jpg

Good luck with your search! Take your time. Your Dad is proud of you no matter what you end up picking. Take care brother [thumbup]

...the all metal body is a bit out of my list since the amp is supposed to be a tribute to my dad who was a woodworker....

OOPS! Of course it is. Sorry, My Bad, vangoghsear. I forgot.......[blush]

...my Fender Special Edition Hot Rod Deluxe that came with a maple cabinet in sunburst.........[woot]

Good luck with your search! Take your time. Your Dad is proud of you no matter what you end up picking. Take care brother [thumbup]

I'll see your [woot] and raise you [woot] [woot] [woot].......

Wow! Stunning! Why don't both Fender and other companies offer this sort of thing more often? Or do they and I just don't hear about them?........:-k

And +1 for the last bit, too.

P.

Thanks Rev and Pippy on the condolences. No problem Pippy on the Dickinson, actually my dad was was a versatile guy. I saw him work in metal a few times too, [thumbup] but his talent and love really was for woodworking.

Rev that custom Fender is sweet! I did check out Fender a while back. Their custom handwired amps are really nice, but out of my price range.

Check out Atlas Stands. He makes superb top shelf custom cabinets. He's just a few hollers over from me. Him and us can team up to make you any of Ceriatone's amps in a custom cab! Combos, heads, whatever. Top of the line stuff. Check him out. [thumbup]

Just thinking about approaching the situation from a slightly different angle...badbluesplayer has a very interesting build thread with a Ceriatone 'Lunchbox' amp. Check out the pre-wired option in post #6;

http://forum.gibson....lunchbox-build/

From here you could either discuss the cab-build with a local carpenter / cabinet maker or perhaps give the guys at Atlas Stands a call to see if they would fancy trying something a bit different?

Look at some of their craftsmanship in the later posts in this thread for a taster;

http://forum.gibson....7-my-amp-stand/

What more can I say?

I agree.

[smile]

P.

Check out Atlas Stands. He makes superb top shelf custom cabinets. He's just a few hollers over from me. Him and us can team up to make you any of Ceriatone's amps in a custom cab! Combos, heads, whatever. Top of the line stuff. Check him out. [thumbup]

I went through the Atlas Stands thread that Pippy posted. Very nice amp cabinets indeed. And his stands are really nice too. I've checked out your amp build thread too, nice, really clean tidy build work. Does Ceritone offer a reverb model at this time though? I really do like that feature in an amp. I have a couple of low wattage amps without reverb and they just don't get played as much. You guys are definitely still on my list to consider.

Psychonaut69, I looked up Trainwreck amps...oh my God, those amps have the most articulate sound I think I've ever heard in an amp. Now if I could just scrape together $36,000. A bit out of my price range. Nice amps though.

Archived