Gibson Brands Forums

suggestions on keeping my guitars safe

jbuck

I have around 6 guitars..mostly cheaper models besides a eipiphone les paul black beauty that i dont take great care of but then theres my two Gibbys that i watch over like a hawk...

I am starting to get worried though. I have the humidpack for my j45..my humidpack for my j45 custom is in the mail as we speak on its way over here..Im just worried thats not enough. I do live in Tennessee where im not really too familiar with the humidity levels here. My guitars are always in their case unless im playing them. Is this enough though? what other cautions should I be taking?

As I see it there are 2 issues here... <_<

Firstly...purchase a humidity monitor of some form or maybe just check the ambient weather

Guitars are often manufactured at around 45% to 50% humidity...more or less a few % being no problem...

Secondly...there are generally(IMO) 3 ways to keep one's guitars(I use all 3)

Out and ready to grab when inspiration strikes... [thumbup]

In a rack with perhaps a dust cover... [thumbup]

In a closed case... [thumbup]

Enjoy Big Time...

V

:-({|=

Yes. I would start by purchasing a couple of humidity gauges..., I mean hygrometers. You know what the safe levels are. See if you are providing that. Then take it from there.

^ this. Until you know the humidity level, you don't know what you need or don't need.

... My guitars are always in their case unless im playing them. Is this enough though? what other cautions should I be taking?

Humidity concerns have been addressed.

A few words on using a case: Great idea. But, when relying on the relative safety of a case, you must remain careful. I know of some tales of damage created by leaving the guitar unattended "in" the case, including some incidents posted on these forums. Example: Leaving the cased guitar leaning against an object and the case falls - possibly causing damage, especially in the headstock/neck area. Example: Leaving the guitar unseated in the case with the case top up - the case top falls on the unseated guitar causing damage - sometimes a surprisingly large amount of damage.

Right now it is 70 degrees Farenheit in my place and the relative humidity is 22%. This is relatively high as it's been hovering around 16% all winter...per usual for my part of the world. I won't use a room humidifier because of the noise and the electricity use, but mostly because of the crap they throw in the air that I then have to breathe. I keep my guitars in their case with two super Dampits in the soundhole plus two homemade soapdish/sponge humidifiers, per guitar, up in the headstock cavity. I play my guitars in rotation so that when I'm finished playing I replenish the water in the dampits and the soapdishes. After I put away a guitar I take out the guitar I will play the next day and put it in a stand, because I like looking at them, so it gets subjected to about twenty-four hours of dry air. Repeat process. I've been doing it this way, with whatever guitars I own, since 2002 and I've had no problems whatsoever. I've alway felt that my guitars have to live the life I live without extraordinary measures. I was raised to keep the guns clean, sharpen the knives and oil the leather and learned that regular maintenance is how one takes care of fine things. For me, the scariest thing around a guitar is a drunk homo sapien. Stoned homo sapiens are usually OK.

As far as humidity is concerned, I have a humidifier in my music room. I keep it between 40%-50% the majority of the time. Right now, lots of melting snow and the room is at about 55% without the humidifier running. My guitars have mostly been in their cases this winter, but they've also spent a couple weeks hanging on the wall...........Other "SAFE" things-----when the grandkids are around, the instruments are in cases or the music room door is locked. I rarely ever (almost never) leave my guitars on a guitar stand, especially at a gig. Accidents WILL happen. When I'm at a gig, I'm either playing the instrument or its in the case. Too many things to trip over at a gig and too many people I don't know. A couple of my cheaper instruments are often out and in the family room, but I even move them when the youngest grandkids are coming over. All my Gibsons get played frequently, but none of them are banged-up and there are very few scratches on them. Other folks take more stringent measures, and some do less. Whatever works of you. [thumbup]

I have around 6 guitars..mostly cheaper models besides a eipiphone les paul black beauty that i dont take great care of but then theres my two Gibbys that i watch over like a hawk...

I am starting to get worried though. I have the humidpack for my j45..my humidpack for my j45 custom is in the mail as we speak on its way over here..Im just worried thats not enough. I do live in Tennessee where im not really too familiar with the humidity levels here. My guitars are always in their case unless im playing them. Is this enough though? what other cautions should I be taking?

CAVEAT.... humor is all in the context of the Post Title!

No other cautions necesary! You actually have to "rough them up".....B*T*H slap-em some! Let them know how you "really" feel..... [scared] They then, will stick close to you,for protection, if nothing else!.....

TRUST ME......I KNOW!!

(Just being silly)

I know nothing. :lol:

I appreciate the responses everybody. Sorry for my post. It probably sounded pretty stupid. I'm just really passionate about my guitars and guitars in general. So I just wanted some opinions and stuff that you guys do to your guitars. Maybe the guard dog is a good idea haha

Seriously, through all the goofing, keep your guitars in a stable indoor environment and don't subject them to sudden atmospheric changes. Don't string 'em up too heavily or wail on the strings. I get lectured for being down on humidifying, but I never have bothered with this relatively new concept, and I've only owned elderly acoustics, kept in an area of my home that's protected from extremes. The woodstove is far off (no guitars allowed in that room when it's crankin') and the windows in the 'guitar' room have 3M UV block film on them to protect against SW sun exposure. The house is cooled and dried with window AC units in summer, heated with wood and hot water radiator in winter. I'm in an area of the country, Cooperstown, NY, where it can reach a high temp of 98F and a low -30F. Humidity levels vary from 30% to 72% on those rare very humid days. That's when I begin to notice the crispness of tone begin to diminish, so I may play more gently with lesser expectations, or tune down in case some softness of the top happens. It never lasts long.

I've always hung my guitars on inside walls and my cases stay in an upstairs utility room, unless a trip to the git doctor is needed. I'm no fan of case or soundhole humidifiers because when you remove a guitar from that environment to play, it's moved into another one which may be drier or otherwise different. Then the wood has another adjustment to make as you play, whereas if it is always acclimated to the environment it'll be played in, there isn't as much back and forth moisture absorption and drying. Would you take your fine acoustic out to play on a covered porch in a rainstorm, or sit on the lawn playing in the bright hot sun? Not me.

I have a customer who is a collector and we built him a custom climate controlled storage/playing lounge. Always perfect conditions. That's nice...he's wealthy with a collection to die for, but he travels and has to leave his guitars for extended stretches of time, so extra caution serves him well. I think your guitars can stay in as good a shape as his with a little attention to prevention of extreme swings in the heat and humidity. A hygrometer can't hurt, just for reference. The true danger, mentioned before, drunks and grandkids. Drunk grandkids, even worse.

The topic that never dies. I love it!

Archived