Gibson Brands Forums

half way through moving

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Double AARRRGGGHHH!

Just arrived back at the old house to pick up the last fragile bits in a car and realised I left the bloody keys at the new place. Now waiting for my wife to come here with keys. Sigh.

The land lady has keys and lives opposite but there is a new nurse (land lady is bed ridden) and she won't give me he keys as she doesn't know me.

I also employed the worlds laziest removals man. Just stood in the van organising, badly, while we did all the lifting and lugging. I am on the edge!

Moving is one of things in life I detest the most.

One thing I've learned is to never let the guys helping get into the beer too early.

My wife and I decided before our last move that we would never do it ourselves again. We suck it up and hire professionals. We've been in our current place for about 12 years now and have no intention of moving again any time soon.

Yeah its amazing how much crap that you find that builds up over time... Long lost stuff that you thought was gone for ever :)

But hang in there man.. It WILL be worth the effort in the end... Your life will be all the better for it [thumbup]

They say that there are three things that are the most stressful in life which is Marriage (and divorce), getting a new job and moving home.. So really you just have to expect it to be rough... And anything else after that is a bonus..

Good luck man... Will have to come and test your music room out when its done :)

Yeah its amazing how much crap that you find that builds up over time... Long lost stuff that you thought was gone for ever :)

But hang in there man.. It WILL be worth the effort in the end... Your life will be all the better for it [thumbup]

They say that there are three things that are the most stressful in life which is Marriage (and divorce), getting a new job and moving home.. So really you just have to expect it to be rough... And anything else after that is a bonus..

Good luck man... Will have to come and test your music room out when its done :)

Last year I was divorced, had to move and lost my job. Didn't find another one up to now. :(

I cross my fingers for you, Farns, hoping you will get it all better than I did. :)

Yeah, I think moving, especially when there's a settled household, is something approaching torture even if you have professionals doing everything - because they don't do everything regardless.

<sigh>

m

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, we're in. No unpacking yet, except the satellite box, 2 mugs, tea, coffee and milk.

Met most of the neighbours, all seem cool.

Already using the outside space and loving it. Very little light pollution and largely very quiet.

We're going to be very happy here.

One thing I've learned is to never let the guys helping get into the beer too early.

Lol,, true dat.

I think that is one of life's lessons that can't be taught. It has to be experienced.

And I think 98% of people WILL experience it at some point..

Well, we're in. No unpacking yet, except the satellite box, 2 mugs, tea, coffee and milk.

Met most of the neighbours, all seem cool.

Already using the outside space and loving it. Very little light pollution and largely very quiet.

We're going to be very happy here.

Crack open a nice frosty one,, or over there a room temp one?

I lived in the country for 15 years. I do miss it.

And at night with the window open I swear I could almost hear the cows fart.

We're going to be very happy here...

That's great to hear, Farns. Best wishes to you both!

[thumbup]

And at night with the window open I swear I could almost hear the cows fart...

LOL!

I wouldn't really object to the audible sensation; more the olfactory one...

P.

EDIT - Farns! Mailbox is full...

Well I feel for you my friend. We're not moving but decided after living in the same house for 35 years now, it is time for new carpet throughout again. This will be the third time I've upgraded and I can tell you I have accumulated just way too much stuff. We're doing the moving furniture and stuff around ourselves because there are too many family heirlooms (not worth much monetarily to anyone - but priceless to me because those treasures belonged to my family members who have passed away) and I don't trust anyone to move those things. If some moving guy broke certain items I would become a homicidal maniac so best just to avoid that scenario altogether..lol

The real kicker is that once you move all the furniture and take down all the photos & stuff you realize it's time to also paint all of those rooms as well so the work just doubles then triples and.. well you guys know what I'm talking about. The carpet is not scheduled to be put in until the 21st so we will be living in what I consider a hovel until everything is put back in its place. I'm a virgo guys so this really is driving me insane. And what's worse is my beloved studio is full of furniture and Rubbermaid containers wall to wall. I can't reach many of my favorites right now.... wahhhhhhhhh. Shuffles away in depression and confusion. [crying]

I have moved several times myself and have helped numerous people move. I've hauled stuff with pickup trucks, utility trailers .... you name it. I think that the best way to move is with a uhaul or some other type of moving van because you don't have to worry about the weather or loosing something during the trip. I also agree with the other guys about you don't know how much stuff you really have until you start to move.

Good luck.

Guest Farnsbarns

Spent today deep cleaning the old place, gonna go back tomorrow and tidy up the outside a bit and hand the keys over.

We've moved 7 times in 12 years and this has been far worse than any previous move.

Everything comes up roses at the new place. It just works. Our old house was a bit stupid, the stairs were crazy and it was very hard to get anything up them, as a result we only ever got a mattress and 2 bedside cabinets up there. Seems really weird having conventional stairs and the bathroom upstairs as well as a downstairs loo. The kitchen is vast by our standards although very dated at the mo.

I've done 2 10 hour days of hard manual work which I'm not used to because I push a mouse about and lift a phone reciever for a living. Everything hurts, a lot but we're in and we're getting there.

Farns...

Wait 'til you're my age and have done the mousing-only lifestyle for decades and then gotta run to get outa the way of a bull or a herd of longhorn cattle. And I'm not kidding.

Yup, you surely pay the price. <sigh>

Ah, to be young and back in fightin' trim again.

m

I can certainly sympathize with your misery over the pains of moving,when we moved here 20 years ago,I vowed then "Never again!". I had only about 17 or 18 guitars and 4 or 5 amps back then,but even that was a harrowing experience.Now I am just going about switching around my old music room with the adjoining rec room and even that's an incredible undertaking.Once you get all settled in you too will most likely make the same vow that I did.Enjoy your new digs.

Archived