Gibson Brands Forums

Why country music sucks.

Searcy

For me and IMHO, Country now isn't "Country" at all. It's Rock Country and about the time Clint Black & the cash cow train rolled into town I really hated the sound. As mentioned, the old guard, and I didn't like ALL of it, was really good. Merle, Waylen, Johnny, Heck sometimes I could even listen to Willy's whine ( [scared] ).

Have always loved old BGrass music and the Country that worked around that sound. I think there's a couple of the newer guys that believe in the more traditional "country" sound and I could listen too. Randy T & maybe a few more, BUT NOT DAMN MANY!!!

Just me.

Aster

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I really despise, is "affected" nasal, twangy, singing voices...when you hear

that same "artist" speak, otherwise, NONE of that exists! So, that affectation

for just "effect," irritates me, a LOT. I don't mind a singer, any singer,

using his natural voice, nasal, twangy, or otherwise, when it IS his/her natural

voice. Only when it's overtly affected, because that's disingenuous, and (basically)

a Lie!

CB

Aster...

Dmmbed if I can remember exactly where it is now, some 50 years later, but there used to be an all-or-late night diner in the north end of DM somewhere that I can still smell and hear '50s country outa the jukeboxes and "at table juke box" dealies. Hank Snow... etc.

I still remember thinkin' how it's the real up-dated "folk music" and the stuff folks called folkie was just their idea that fit a group of pickers rather than the ongoing real thing.

Oddly later on even Joan Baez was doing stuff like "Cry me a River." <grin>

It's the song... you figure the arrangement.

m

I run into a few of these guys around town. They are mostly good guys with reasonable talent. The pickers and players are all top notch..... but the songs.... It's... I mean... The suck is amazing.. [scared]

lol, yes it is... and thats all the bars want now, bands playing this "new country". because thats what the ladies like, so that also draws in the guys... and unfortunately thats all my wife listens to. she keeps telling me, you should pay some of this... i just smile...

What I really despise, is "affected" nasal, twangy, singing voices...when you hear

that same "artist" speak, otherwise, NONE of that exists! So, that affectation

for just "effect," irritates me, a LOT. I don't mind a singer, any singer,

using his natural voice, nasal, twangy, or otherwise, when it IS his/her natural

voice. Only when it's overtly affected, because that's disingenuous, and (basically)

a Lie!

CB

I guess that due to the loudness war, producers do this for increasing perceived loudness per watt. It is well known that the frequency range between 2 kHz and 4 kHz is the most cutting one, so they adjust EQs and compressors for that. They don't want a natural sound, the voices just have to shout out of all the overcompressed and overlimited noise. This also causes the extreme distortions which are common nowadays, mostly odd-order ones. [thumbdn]

CB...

Played folkie a bit for a bit of money; rock for a bit more... did best and covered costs of the '70s guitars and equipment I still regularly use thanks to a cupla country trios.

Gotta admit that my personal "likes" in music are pretty eclectic and to play in a band nowadays I'd end up having to learn a lotta material I haven't learned in any specific genre 'cuz I've tended to learn stuff I like - or stuff I need 'cuz I'm being paid for it.

<grin>

m

I tend to mainly play what i want... songs by Allman Brothers, Blackberry Smoke, i bill our band as Southern Blues Rock ... I will throw in the proverbial Mustang Sally for the dancers. But im not learning any new country. or jimmy buffet, or that damn brown eyed girl ... sorry to be negative.

Ya.lmao.that does make country look lame as heck..country music isn't my main love but I do like it ( the older stuff) we need some redemption..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI

and Emmy, lets face it,she's gorgeous woman who's backing vocals

could make a crack whore with throat cancer sound good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3jr-Xn1GM

Well, to me Hank was the geniune article, Emmy Lou, too!

Those are "natural" Country singers, without having to try!

I've never had a problem with their voices, because they

WERE/ARE their real voices. Not affectations, like too many

seem to be, today. [tongue][unsure]

CB

lol, yes it is... and thats all the bars want now, bands playing this "new country". because thats what the ladies like, so that also draws in the guys... and unfortunately thats all my wife listens to. she keeps telling me, you should pay some of this... i just smile...

Yes, that's the way it always was, the boys tend to follow the girls, regardless if aware or unaware of what they might run into... [scared][rolleyes]

;)

Well, to me Hank was the geniune article, Emmy Lou, too!

Those are "natural" Country singers, without having to try!

I've never had a problem with their voices, because they

WERE/ARE their real voices. Not affectations, like too many

seem to be, today. [tongue][unsure]

CB

Not sure if it's about Hank Williams junior here? Just thinking about his "Loving Instructor" [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SCndROHcA

Well, back on track...somewhat, anyway...WHO Do you all like, love, in "Country Music,"

these days, or in the past?

CB

I begrudgingly went to a Vince Gill concert a few years ago and was blown away by his playing and songs. I never like country much but after that concert I became a bit of a fan.

CB...

A coupla points on that "who do you like."

I like songs. Some of 'em are old Chris Ledoux material I really enjoy, some are Carter Family. Some Hank Snow or Johnny Cash.

Then there's a lotta Chet.

Some Hag, a cupla Jerry Jeff Walker things.

Can't help but liking "home with the armadillo."

Ian Tyson could really write stuff.

Then again...

I guess I don't figure it's nasty to play a lotta stuff folks wanna hear if it's within arrangement and voice parameters. E.g., even 25 years ago I could do Orbison's "Crying," but I don't trust the voice day to day any more.

That lesson came, I guess, doing the house band thing.

I've seen lotza exceptional bands who didn't learn that lesson and didn't even last circulating among saloons.

I guess part of the joy of pickin' comes from watching folks enjoy my pickin' - dancing, tapping feet, maybe just smiling as they walk back from the can or after buying another tipple be it a Rob Roy, Jack, Coors or coffee.

That's why I'm willing to learn stuff that isn't per se my schtick.

Thing is, I can play "Last Steam Engine Train" or "Classical Gas" 'til the cows come home, but "Johnny B Goode" or "Amarillo by Morning" are gonna be what holds 'em for my own favorite stuff. It ain't a concert by some famous guy when I'm pickin', or me doing my best fancy pickin'. It's a gig to help make people happy on an evening out and to enjoy it enough to come back next week...

m

Love Keith Urban and Johnny Cash.

Country music doesn't suck at all. I used to hate it when I was a teenager in Arkansas but now I don't. I remember someone telling me that country was more popular in the US than rock. I thought they were nuts.

Well, it's not that I don't like it, there are very few country musicians well known here. As long as AFN radio stations were operated in Germany, I listened to them fairly often. The ASA audio emphasis is a bit different from the European standards, so it always sounded a bit nasal, and I also wasn't that accustomed to highly compressed audio these years since German radio used no dynamic processors then.

There was an American Forces facility in Bad Tölz, the Flint casern, and one weekend every year they were open for all and made their own "Little O' Fest." According to the name, the music was contributed by brass bands, and they played darn nice. [biggrin]

Here in our region, it was as popular as the Oktoberfest in Munich, and I went there regularly. One of my first drive after obtaining my driving license led me there, and one year later one of my first drives with my first own car.

Sweet memories... [rolleyes]

Archived