Gibson Brands Forums

Serious GAS

jdgm

I have been looking at this and I'm thinking and calculating and -

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/21665/2004-Gibson-Custom-Shop-L-4S-Electric-Guitar---Used/

Does anyone know about or have experience of Music Zoo?

Or know about the L4S, evidently a limited run?

I could almost do the bathroom for that much....or the kitchen, you know make a start...or just buy something cheaper....or not...but...OMG...

That guitar looks like a LP that's also suffering from GAS :P :)

Beautiful finish on that though [thumbup]

Would have wanted to write this, too, but I didn't dare making JDGM's gas worse as it is yet... [rolleyes]

Just occasionally you can tell on sight alone that something is going to perform faultlessly and superbly day in day out.

Perhaps something to do with an elegant simplicity where quality almost becomes tangible.

Go for it.

Somewhere between the spartan L6-S and the ultra-luxurious L-5S (the guitar of my dreams).

I was seriously considering this L4S myself. They're fairly rare, but I think the price is a bit out of line and for me it would only be a stopgap buy until a fine L-5S example came along (if ever)..

Music Zoo is a good outfit. I have dealt with them before.

Good luck.

EE

There are Gibson L6-S and L6S guitars in my arsenal, and none of these is spartan in my opinion, rather the opposite, seen from tonal aspects. Inornate doesn't mean spartan to me, and decorated with bindings or inlays means luxurious just for looks, neither for feel nor tone - hopefully, since bindings rather invite trouble than they are of practical use. Perhaps I should add that a dozen of my guitars are bound which is nearly half my arsenal, none of my basses though.

Just my two cents... [rolleyes]

There are Gibson L6-S and L6S guitars in my arsenal, and none of these is spartan in my opinion, rather the opposite, seen from tonal aspects. Inornate doesn't mean spartan to me, and decorated with bindings or inlays means luxurious just for looks, neither for feel nor tone - hopefully, since bindings rather invite trouble than they are of practical use. Perhaps I should add that a dozen of my guitars are bound which is nearly half my arsenal, none of my basses though.

Just my two cents... [rolleyes]

Hello!

Indeed. Completely agree with You. L6-S has lot to offer - even the 2011 Reissue. Full access to all 24 frets, which itself an unique feature on any Gibson guitar. The 6-way switch, and Strat-like EQ control. A great guitar! Easy to play.

The one posted is wonderful. L5-S shape (which was an all-maple guitar originally) with beautiful mahogany body. If I could, I`d go for it.

As far as Keith Richards` (and Ron Wood`s) guitars are concerned, they were one-pickup reissues of original L5-S guitars, in black color. Two were made, one for each guitarist of the Rolling Stones. They played them during the tour of the Steel Wheels album.

Pic here: http://forum.vanderbilly.com/showthread.php?t=19203

Cheers... Bence

Nice guitar... [thumbup]

And for the evident rarity...perhaps not too overpriced...

As mentioned, the L6-S is a beautiful and usable instrument

Not forgetting the superb ES 335-S too (for some reason rare)

Gotta love these 'S' guitars... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

I could almost do the bathroom for that much....or the kitchen, you know make a start...or just buy something cheaper....or not...but...OMG...

You know as well as I do that is not true.

As soon as you open up a wall and find the first problem your reno will double.

I say buy the guitar.

;)

hehe

You know as well as I do that is not true.

As soon as you open up a wall and find the first problem your reno will double.

I say buy the guitar.

;)

hehe

Oh DAMN it's the voice of temptation! And indeed you're right, I'd have to spend much more really....so why not....?

Well, many reasons; today reality intruded as I took car for a service and they tell me it will fail its MOT in August on the catalytic convertor which is beginning to malfunction (The British Ministry Of Transport test is an annual legal requirement for every road-going car in the land, a compulsory annual test for safety and exhaust emissions) and that alone will cost around £650 which I must have ready.

Then there is the fact that once again we are being restructured at work with the outcome due to be announced around September so I may get made redundant...again...which will be no fun as I am 60 before then.

And I'm leading quite a busy life at the moment so even now haven't quite got enough time to play the excellent instruments I already have.....no, the A in GAS is for Acquisition and I am too acquisitive...and greedy.

But what a guitar! I had an L6 Deluxe in Wine Red during the 80s, it was my 1st ever Gibson and I should have kept it; fast 24-fret neck but a bit narrow for me. Later I tried an L5S (The USS Enterprise of Gibson guitars!) in a Denmark St music shop and didn't like it at all.

But this one looks so good, Scales puts it best - just what I was thinking. So I'm still going to be thinking about it......!

Well, many reasons; today reality intruded as I took car for a service and they tell me it will fail its MOT in August on the catalytic convertor which is beginning to malfunction (The British Ministry Of Transport test is an annual legal requirement for every road-going car in the land, a compulsory annual test for safety and exhaust emissions) and that alone will cost around £650 which I must have ready.

Hm. Catalytic converters should never fail. When they do, it is due to another serious malfunction.

MIL is ON? Any trouble codes (must be in that case). Does Your car have starting problems? Do You see oil/water around cylinder head gasket? Backfire?

If the answer is "no" for all questions above, find a new mechanic and buy the guitar.

If the converter is really failed, expect to spend money on engine repairs as well. Sad news, isn't it? Buy the guitar to feel better. :)

Good luck!

Cheers... Bence

Thanks all for the advice and replies.

Bence......ssshhhh! I was just getting this under control.

I'm still checking my assets, thinking and figuring out how to - and what I might sell.

But now's not a great time.....

It's still available, but I did feel that there was something peculiar about that guitar from the beginning. Couldn't figure it out until I realized that, as photographed, the tailpiece, bridge and pickups look off center.

Now I understand that the photo may not be a dead-on frontal shot, but I'm not sure that a slight offset could produce the dramatic results my caliper shows measuring components. A good example would be top of bridge to top edge binding versus bridge bottom to bottom edge binding.

Just an observation, but the more I look, the more I'm convinced. It's a defect.

EE

Could well be, good point - though the contouring and shape of the guitar make it impossible to be sure - there just aren't enough hi-res shots of it. I have experience of a guitar like that (not a Gibson) and it didn't affect the playability...but it's really not what you'd want to find upon opening the case, so this one definitely couldn't be bought without seeing (and trying) it. And I would love to at least try this guitar!!

not to stoke the fire [wink] but, one day in the future....

"Hey son, see that building, thats where your great-grandpa used to live. I hear it had a pretty decent bathroom..."

or

"Hey son, come and have a look at something special, your great-grandpa bought this a long time ago when it was nearly new..."

...just sayin' [laugh]

I have been looking at this and I'm thinking and calculating and -

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/21665/2004-Gibson-Custom-Shop-L-4S-Electric-Guitar---Used/

Does anyone know about or have experience of Music Zoo?

Or know about the L4S, evidently a limited run?

I will also vouch for Music Zoo [thumbup]

And I will vouch that I wished I had not looked at that L-4S [crying]

Must go now.. [cursing]

That is a very pretty and unique looking guitar. Lucky for me, I am out of GAS for the time being. :rolleyes:

A few observations though.... I know that it's a 2004 model, but it just screams 1970s to me. And I can't put my finger on it, but there is something slightly disturbing about the body shape. :-k

Archived