Gibson Brands Forums

Robin Williams Dead at 63

rocketman

Well, we agree then.

Addicts are addicts. There really are millions of depressed people that are not addicted to pills or coke or booze, and they manage to get through really tough days, every day, for decades. So it makes me sad when some joker that had the time and money to indulge his little sadnesses is held up as some kind of genius or hero or something, when he was just a guy. He was born to priviledge and in fact a big part of his early stand up was about his Porsche in high school. The guy had every opportunity to at the very least not be an addict. Maybe then he could have dealt with the depression.

Most of the kids in my high school just wanted a car. Talk about depressing!

rct

Well, there are degrees even in hell, yes there are a lot of depressed people that manage to stay away from addiction, but those who don´t do not booze to have fun, they booze because they suffer, and i think we have to learn how to help them, not stamp them as addicts and leave them adrift.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyday people have everyday problems. People with lots of money have lots of problems.

Hollywood is fueled by money and alcohol and drugs and sex and...

Depression is a Brain Disease. Addiction, of any kind, is a Brain Disease. The very substance abused, in itself, rewires the brain.

Bi-polar disorder is bad wiring in the brain. Schizophrenia is bad wiring in the brain. Alzheimer's and Dementia are bad wiring in the brain...

Lack of understanding is, not so much, wiring in the brain.

Old Adage: Don't judge a man until you've been in his shoes.

Everyday people have everyday problems. People with lots of money have lots of problems.

Hollywood is fueled by money and alcohol and drugs and sex and...

Depression is a Brain Disease. Addiction, of any kind, is a Brain Disease. The very substance abused, in itself, rewires the brain.

Bi-polar disorder is bad wiring in the brain. Schizophrenia is bad wiring in the brain. Alzheimer's and Dementia are bad wiring in the brain...

Lack of understanding is, not so much, wiring in the brain.

Old Adage: Don't judge a man until you've been in his shoes.

Very well spoken, i realize my English is not good enough too express some stuff as a native :-( But i try anyway :-)

Robin Williams was a great talent. He will be missed, but fondly remembered for his movies. A couple of my favorites were "The Fisher King" and "Patch Adams". Depression seems to undermine a person's HOPE for the future. I don't think anyone can truly move forward in their life if they have lost touch with hope. Personally, this was a wake-up call and I intend to let people in my life know they are appreciated in the here and now. I feel encouraging our friends and family may actually save a life in the long run.

I'm no psychoanalyst, but sounds to me like bipolar disorder, which is apparently due to brain wiring (genetic) and its development can be influenced by environmental factors. Jaco Pastorius was bipolar, and toward the end of his life, he became almost dysfunctional and psychotic. Bipolar disorder is often accompanied (and made worse) by addictions.

I get what RCT is saying. I don't think RW chose to be depressed, but he did at some point chose to deal with it with drugs and alcohol. That led to to his addiction whitch in turn made

Dealing with the depression harder. I don't understand depression but I do think it is something you are born with. Chemical imbalance or "wired wrong" whatever you want to call it, and I feel bad for people who have to spend there whole lives dealing with it. Addictions are different I think. Nobody comes out of the womb craving a drug ( unless mom was using). At some point they choose to to start using a drug.

I'm no psychoanalyst, but sounds to me like bipolar disorder, which is apparently due to brain wiring (genetic) and its development can be influenced by environmental factors. Jaco Pastorius was bipolar, and toward the end of his life, he became almost dysfunctional and psychotic. Bipolar disorder is often accompanied (and made worse) by addictions.

I agree. And it seems that a lot of really talented artists seem to suffer from that. Maybe that's what makes them so great in the first place. So brilliantly gifted, sometimes they appear not to relate to everyday people. I think that begins the frustration that leads to depression, addiction, etc. I loved Williams' early work, not so much the work in his later years. I always felt like he was hyper and all over the place. I tried to watch his TV series, "The Crazy Ones" and I just couldn't relate to it. But, it's too bad that someone wasn't there to save him from himself.

One of bipolar's prominent components is depression (used to be called manic-depressive disorder). Suicide is relatively common. It's a disease (a true recognized disease) that can be effectively treated. I have a family member that has attempted suicide 3 times. Always when he is off of his medications. Very tough disease to treat long term in some people.

Just came back from NYC to bury my uncle (not been a good week). My uncle was a kind-hearted man, and all we talked about today was honoring his life.

So, I would like to do the same for Robin Williams. He made my giggle, he made me sad, he made my laugh till I pi$$ed my pants, and he made me cry. The man had unbelievable talent. This scene is one the most earliest memories I had of him. I still can't laughing at this to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9g1yRXF8I8

As time moves on, do any of you agree that we didn't need to know that he'd cut his wrist and hung himself? Now they say he had Parkinsons. Is there no dignity in death?

I can see that there will be photo's of his body on the net in a weeks time. He wasn't a criminal. He gave us ALL happiness, so his family should be left alone to grieve. His daughter has already had the trolls onto her and had to close her Twitter etc. Dreadful behaviour.

As time moves on, do any of you agree that we didn't need to know that he'd cut his wrist and hung himself? Now they say he had Parkinsons. Is there no dignity in death?

I can see that there will be photo's of his body on the net in a weeks time. He wasn't a criminal. He gave us ALL happiness, so his family should be left alone to grieve. His daughter has already had the trolls onto her and had to close her Twitter etc. Dreadful behaviour.

Agree, no more to say :-(

Withdrawal of Parkinson medicine is dangerous for both body and soul. After the death of the German sportsman and actor Raimund Harmstorf, it was widely discussed here in the public. You may refer to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raimund_Harmstorf

Many people here learned through his sad fate about the importance of medical advice and compliance in case of Parkinson's disease.

Its is a sad thing.. It hits home to me i am bi-polar and have OCD on top of it.I have suffered that kind of depression i have saved up bottles of pills to take so i could just go to sleep and not wake up. Lucky for me my family keeps a watch on me so it didnt work.I feel it was a terrible loss and i wish his family could have gotten him help.. I never became an addict but i can understand it. Self medicating sometimes all you can do to keep from bashing your head into the wall to just make it stop

One of his best friends and one of his very few equals was Johnathan Winters. [flapper]

Both of those guys brains cruised at the speed of light. [lol]

It's a shame when you just can't turn it off and coast for awhile. [sad]

Like that famous Italian clown, whose name I can't recall, laughing on the outside... crying on the inside.

The price of genius...

Rest In Peace funny man, you will be missed. =D>

Pagliacci

Archived