Gibson Brands Forums

Amps...Pedals...

Tim Plains

Just curious what you guys use everyday? I've got a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100, 1960SL cabs A & B, but don't use it too often. It's more of an occasional treat. :)

Up until last week, I had a Fender Princeton 112 Plus - 65W 1x12", great little solid-state amp. I sold it to buy this Fender Frontman 212R - 100W 2x12", again, great solid-state amp for everyday usage. Long & McQuade had a sale and I picked it up for next to nothing...literally!! This was a blind purchase (sorry deepblue), luckily it has a nice sound.

The only pedal I use is a Dunlop Dimebag Darryl Crybaby, I absolutely love it.

Picture014-1.jpg

I have a Roland Microcube, since being a student in a basement apartment I can neither afford a decent large amp, nor do I need the volume =D>. It's actually a very sweet little practice amp IMO.

I also have a Digitech Whammy and my friend left his delay pedal at my house, so I've got that too O:).

I had a Marshall half stack. It was a '79 100w JMP Mark II Super Lead...pretty sweet, but it was too big and loud. I sold it and bought the Mesa Heartbreaker. The Mesa sounds better IMHO, but it's even louder than the Marshall. I use a attentuator (Scholz Power Soak) but it's still too much amp. I can switch it to 60w power setting but it doesn't sound as good.

I like pedal board processors and I have a Boss GT5 but it's way too complicated. I also have a POD 2.0 but I never use either. I'm considering a Digitech GNX.

I'd like to sell the Mesa and try out a Krank 20w Rev jr or some other small tube amp. Maybe a Mesa Subway Rocket or a THD.

I use my Fender GDEC w/ headphones all the time. I like the amp models and love having drum lines to jam with.

2001 LPJ into a Kustom '36 coupe, the only pedals I run is my boss TU-2, and the foot switch that came with it.

The Kustom produces plenty of dirt on the rhythm channel at stage volume, and for leads I have the 10db boost on the foot switch dialed in nicely.

when I am at home I can usually crank it loud enough for good break up, if it is later in the evening I run the lead channel at low volume.

I like to keep things as simple as possible

Still trying to figure mine out, but I want it simple!

I'm currently using a Marshall 8100 Valvestate going into a 4x12 Marshall cab... before that, it goes thru an MXR Phase 90. Right now, it's loud enough on "2" to get my wife and I kicked way out of our little apartment. So, I must keep it low.

Speaking of low; one can pick up a Marshall Valvestate (half tube, half solidstate) 100w amp for about 200 on Ebay. They are pretty killer "little" amps.

I have considered grabbing a Peavey 5150 model, but we'll see.

My Fender Ultimate Chours 2x12. It's solid state, but it's also a stereo amp, and pretty fun to play with. Lately I've been having more fun adding to my pedal collection. Right now I've got my Boss DD-20 gigadelay, and a Line 6 dl-4 delay modeler that I use mostly for the looper (a must when you're playing by yourself most of the time). Next up will either be a Fulltone OCD, or another dl-4, or maybe both. Cheers.

DSCF0192.jpg?t=1203644963

I have a 5150 1/2 stack, a Laney 1/2 stack, and an old Fender Bassman 100 head from the early 70's. We live out in the country, so when the wife is away I can crank them without getting complaints. A Boss GT-6 is where the effects come from, but I'll boost the Laney and Bassman with a Boss Dyna Drive from time to time.

I used to have that Ultimate Chorus. It was a great amp but when I was in a band in high school we decided we had to turn the volume up to 10......yes, 10. Needless to say it was never the same and I had to get rid of it. Currently I'm using a Crate VTX 212(I think it's VTX). I know what you're thinking....Crate? But this thing sounds really good for a solid state. I only use amp distortion and this sounds great. The only pedals I use are my Boss tuner and Vox Wah. It may not be the best setup but it sure sounds good. I've been wanting to try a Fender Blender pedal. Anybody have any experience with them?

Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express which is pretty incredible.

Also my Fender Princeton from when I was a kid way back in the early 70s. That amp sounds great and I have a Mes Boogie V Twin preamp pedal that gives the Fender greatly expanded tone.

I'd like a Budda 18 watt next!!!!

B-52 AT212 100W Combo.

My Crate Blue Voodoo went up on me for the second time in a year and I had a gig coming up. I stopped into a CG in VA on my way home from work one night, just planning on looking. After trying this amp out, I ended up buying it right there. I swear the clean channel rivals Fender and there are two gain channels which rival Mesa or Marshal and it was less than half the price. I really didn't want or need 100watts, but this has a great Master volume for great sounds at reasonable levels.

I use a Boss ME50 for effects or sometimes I use only my Dunlop Cry Baby Wah.

I play everything through my beloved JSX 120 watt head and into my Mesa Boogie rectifier 4 x 12 slant. Also, i run a G Major Effects processor into the loop and for wah i use a Cry Baby 535Q. Btw the 5150 III in those pictures is no longer in my rig. And yes i know i am a show off hehe :P

srig2008036bp9.th.jpg

srig2008092oq4.th.jpg

Orange AD1510 with ZW Wah, Dunlop Rotovibe, MXR Grind and Clear Wylde OD, MXR D+, SmolskiTech Looper to MXR Micro Flanger, MXR Phase 45, and a crappy Johnson Delay until my MXR Carbon Copy comes in. I modded the D+ to true Bypass, and added an LED to the Wah. I love my amp, and yes, I like MXR a lot. IMG_1151.jpg

1970 somethin' Kustom Tuck n' Roll baby! that cab's a beast, a little touchy to reverb thunder, but she belts the blues.

BOSS D-1 distrotion.

ElectroHarmonix "Nano Clone" chorus

and hopefully a FDR-1 (fender deluxe reverb) pedal from BOSS, cuz i'm cheap and can't afford the real thing. OH! and I want a talk box! :]

I use a Crate V8 for rehersal and practice at home, it's a lil' monster for sure. For gigs I use my Epiphone Blues Custom 30.

For effects I have a Digitech RP250; has all the effects I'll ever need in a nice package, and for lead boosts I use a Keeley mod tubescreamer.

very nice killer axe! i really like orange amps...

Well since i own a recording studio i have tons of pedals and some amps (2 solid state 1 hybrid and 1 tube amp)... that i never use! (i´m a simple guy... dont like having too much variables to mess with, so i have all that stuff for clients... as i dont like sharing my equipment and they seem to dig big amps, floyd equiped guitars, multiefects, and lots of stomp boxes they dont have clue one about...)

For me i have a vox ac30cc2 which i just bought last month and am very hapy with (normal channel has just one control! its my dream come true!) and im using a boss metal zone (marshall-boogie mod) for metal, a marshall guvnor2 for everything else, a boss tu2 tuner and power suply, and in the fx loop a boss dd20 gigadelay... i also find the ac30s revberb and tremolo very useful once you get how to use them wisely.

My main axes are my Les Paul Standard faded and my modded epi, although this days im only using the gibson.

I usually play through my 65 Deluxe Reverb, but I also have a Special edition blues junior, a Blues Deluxe Reissue and a Custom vibrolux. My pedals are mostly Fulltone. I have the Mini Deja vibe, OCD, Fulldrive II, Fat Boost, and for a little crunch I throw in a Boss DS1 and my Old original Cry Baby Wah. To keep everything in tune I use a TU2.

I have them all mounted on a Furman board with internal power source. Don't gig so everything is set up in my Music room.

I've collected a bunch of early/mid 70's Music Man and Sunn amps over the years, and my main gigging amp for our blues shows is a Music Man 2x10 65 watt combo, the backup is a Music Man 2x12 130 watt combo. For jazz gigs I use a 1961 Gibson GA-8 Discoverer, 1 10" speaker and a whopping 8 watts. The older you get, the smaller the better. No pedals, just guitar straight into the amp.

In my 70's Rock & Roll days I used a Sunn Model T on top of a 4x12 cab or two, and a pile of Morley, MXR, Boss and DOD pedals. In fact, I just cleaned out the storeroom and have a bunch of that 70's gear up for sale.

Have a look:

http://www.stringdancer.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=forum&board=news&op=display&num=1606&start=0#5

I use a Marshall 1959SLPX with 1960B cab.

I also have Marshall AVT150 original with matching cab for guest

My pedal is a boss GT-6 prossesor, that i stupidly traded in all my boss pedals and wah wah for. Now i miss my MT-2 cause i dont like the distortion of the GT-6

Im going to buy an Mt-2, flanger, phaser, and acustic simulator though

I use a Marshall 1959SLPX with 1960B cab.

I also have Marshall AVT150 original with matching cab for guest

My pedal is a boss GT-6 prossesor' date=' that i stupidly traded in all my boss pedals and wah wah for. Now i miss my MT-2 cause i dont like the distortion of the GT-6

Im going to buy an Mt-2, flanger, phaser, and acustic simulator though[/quote']

Oh man... i remember when i traded my pedals for a GT-8... big misteake... ok i actually ended up keeping it as my younger and less experienced clients like this hi-tech suff, can you veliebe they demand to be recorded with pods and digital preamps "because that way you get a better result"? What are they teaching these kids at those famous recording/music schools this days? Aint nothing better than a couple of mics and a good amp.

Archived