Gibson Brands Forums

What is this ?

JuanCarlosVejar

Lots of very amusing speculation here. I wonder how any of us would explain the 15th fret neck-set?

the 15th fret neck set was done to make room for the pickup which is correct the 20 fret fingerboard also correct as the Gibson version was given 20 frets from 19 in 1955

After I stated so in #4... [biggrin]

Steve, not to be nitpicky (okay, so maybe I am), but you made no mention in post #4 (either before or after editing) of the specific headstock changes I first laid out early in this thread (as well as the Epi label).

Those three headstock changes (logo, inlay, and truss rod cover), and the Epi interior label are the ones I cited that appear to have been made to an otherwise standard Gibson J-160E.

As this thread has progressed, it seems like we now have a fair amount of agreement on those key points.

That's an Epiphone J-160E. John Lennon played the Gibson version to fame. There is a modern reproduction - EJ-160E.

EDITED

Steve - Additionally here in post #4, you continue to promote the notion that there was an Epiphone J-160E (after editing out your earlier statement that John Lennon played an Epiphone J-160E), and you add that Lennon played the "Gibson version."

There simply was no Epiphone J-160E. The existence of the modified guitar under discussion in this thread (with a Texan label) does not constitute a prior model in Epiphone's lineup that was available to the public. To state that there was such a model, and that there was a Gibson version of that model, is rather misleading. None of this is earth shattering stuff, but I think it's important to remain as accurate as possible.

Btw, I too would like to add my thanks to JC for again bringing another very interesting guitar to light.

Interesting guitar! Shipping ledgers indicate that this is an "FT-79 - Elec."...no other details

post-6-046622800 1415116568_thumb.jpg

Most interesting. Certainly looks like a special order for someone, whether a salesman or a retail customer. Unique guitar.

Juan, My big questions are this: Is this your guitar now and how did you come across it?

It looks to be a nice one to have your fingers on for certain. Very interesting find. How 'bout some background if you have any on this beauty?

Aster

Juan, My big questions are this: Is this your guitar now and how did you come across it?

It looks to be a nice one to have your fingers on for certain. Very interesting find. How 'bout some background if you have any on this beauty?

Aster

Aster ,

No ,I wish it was mine !!! But for that it would have to be a lefty .

I came across it on Instagram when I searched for gibson acoustics.

The guy who posted the photo said he was at a guitar center and Joe Bonamassa who happened to be there pointed out the guitar to him.

I just saved the photo and posted it here .But that being said if I ever had the chance of getting a gibson montana replica of this left handed I would not think twice on placing an order.

JC

Cool post Juan. The owner of this guitar is a friend of mine and sent me those pictures after he bought it. We were both totally floored over it.

Thanks to Gibson CS for finding it in the shipping ledgers. Very cool!

Juan, find me on instagram: @truevintageguitar

Cool post Juan. The owner of this guitar is a friend of mine and sent me those pictures after he bought it. We were both totally floored over it.

Thanks to Gibson CS for finding it in the shipping ledgers. Very cool!

Juan, find me on instagram: @truevintageguitar

You think you can get a few more pics from your friend ?

It's such an awesome guitar would love to have more pics of It

JC

This is my guitar! (I'm @guitaristo on instagram).

My buddy John (tvguit) is right...as soon as I bought it I emailed him photos with the subject "WTF?!" Haha. I consider myself a vintage Gibson and Epiphone expert (I've owned many of the rarest Epiphones ever by the way...they seem to find me for some reason), but before this Epi-branded J-160E, I had only ever seen one other Epiphone with the distinctive open-book Gibson headstock...a bikini-logo 1960 FT-30 that was clean but needed a neck reset so I passed. Here's a photo of its headstock:

IMG_0150_zpsb405e3a1.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the serial for that one. I thought it was unusual but besides the headstock it had all the standard Epiphone FT-30 features. This Epiphone J-160e is something else entirely. Crazy that you found the shipping ledger!

Thank you so much to Juan for starting this thread and Gibson Support for coming up big. Are there any other similar anomalies like that in the shipping records? Man would I love to get my hands on those!

I've got so many acoustics at this point, I probably won't keep this one-of-a-kind Epi, so shoot me a PM or email m@k-ler.com if you are interested in buying. Here are some more photos:

IMG_2502_zps8cfefd5c.jpg

IMG_2506_zps77af35bb.jpg

IMG_2512_zps8a07f903.jpg

IMG_2510_zps032cda81.jpg

Very cool SlimT! That original case looks wonderful too. That's the first J-50e I've ever seen. I almost bought a J-200e about a year ago.

Thank you.. I had a 61 HBird with the 15 fret as well at one time with the P90... it was a cool Guitar.. 4 digit s/n as well..

Archived