Gibson Brands Forums

Musicians and Brain function

kidblast

That was cool.. thanks for posting....

I think though that the one thing it doesn't and indeed cant scientifically go into is the state of a player when they are in the zone... you know... that place when you kind of become one with your instrument and the music and everything else floats away...

I have always looked at it as akin to meditation.... Accessing parts of our brains that we don't normally use in every day life (well unless you are a pro musician :))... And therefore opening parts of our brains up and expanding our horizons.

Oh and heres an embedded version for those who cant be bothered to click on the link :)

Very enlightening video, thanks for linking it here. [thumbup]

It says nothing about differences between e. g. Gibson and Fender. ;) Anyway, they all seem to make my brain dance. [biggrin]

I wonder if it matters if you have a long or short neck? :-k

:)

Lol... the player...

Because obviously players with longer necks (tennons) play with better tone and sustain :P

(don't worry, im just being very silly :))

Maybe it's due to the distance notes are running up and down the spine. ;)

It's my observation that the higher-end talents - not just skilled players, but talents - often are "odd" in how they think.

Those with midrange talent - most professionals of all genres IMHO - and good skill often are more like the rest of us who have a range of talents and skills in life - and generally think more like others.

For most humans, participating in music and/or dance performance does IMHO do good things for the brain and thought processes. Most of us, whether musicians or not, do tend to get involved in music in their minds... tapping feet, swaying, etc.

So I guess I see something of a continuum at all levels whether a basically neolithic society such as Amerind tribal "drum" groups, or "us" with bands and symphonies of professionals, where some of "us" seem called to the higher end of music performance through creating it - while others respond to it.

It's an interesting insight into culture overall, too - since all of us humans seem to have parallel perspectives on music as part of our lives.

m

The say the best things you can do to stimulate and keep your brain healthy are, learn to play and instrument and speak a foreign language… Never thought I was capable of either and now I do both… Just goes to show you you can do anything you really want or need to do...

The say the best things you can do to stimulate and keep your brain healthy are, learn to play and instrument and speak a foreign language… Never thought I was capable of either and now I do both… Just goes to show you you can do anything you really want or need to do...

Does Manglish qualify as a second language? ' Cos if it does I'm halfway to fulfilling your requirements. Now all I need to do is be able to play an insrument! [tongue]

Archived