Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Rickenbacker

houndman55

That said, and I've said before, I think that sometimes guitar players have this strong tendency to go for instruments that are considered typical for the type of music they're playing given what "big names" have mostly been seen playing certain types of guitars.

I was just kinda thinking about this.

I think we ALL tend to want to play what we see others playing who are playing the music we want to play. Lots of association involved, for a few different reasons, but still, association.

With the Ric, as a brand, they ARE as old as the electric itself- they came about the same time as both the electric and the solidbody. But not really before that.

So, why wouldn't they be considered as traditional? I think a lot of it has to do with some choosing Gibson because choosing a Gibby solidbody is less of a stretch, because they are essentially solid versions of hollowbodies.

Rics seem old now, but then they were quite radical compared to the competition. I don't think they really ever caught on as they could have as a matter of dumb luck.

I don't really believe for a second that the only thing they do better than others is Beatles/Byrds type of stuff that most likely buy them for.

I'm pretty much with Stein on this one.

Gibsons unquestionably in my mind are solid and semi versions of flattops/archtops.

I'd never heard of Ricks, btw, until the Beatles and then Byrds - and I was playing music and watching local bands of all sorts and genres since the '50s.

m

CB, to me "one trick pony" and "acquired taste" are 2 very different things.

One trick pony - I agree doesn't make too much sense to me either, however acquired taste I can relate to based on the only Ric I've played on which the neck was not only shallow but then had no discernible taper as you worked up the neck. That to me is firmly in the 'acquired taste' camp if its at all representative of the breed. Possibly the lacquered rosewood (?) fretboard would be too, though much less so to me than the neck profile.

PS. I agree on the bass - if I was buying a bass and money was not a significant issue to me a Ric would be high on the list!

Well, I was only using "acquired taste" as someone had mentioned it, previously. For me,

ALL guitars could be considered "an acquired taste," for various people. It's a bit like

some neck profiles being considered an acquired tastes, as was mentioned. Yet, I have

different neck profiles on all my guitars! "Lucille" has the fattest neck, and my AIUSA

Epiphone Sheraton has the thinnest neck, with the Ric's running a close 2nd. All the other's

vary somewhere in between. Yet, I've NEVER had a problem with any of them, even when going

from fat to slim right after one another. Maybe, in my case, that has to do with being so

used to "adapting" to the guitars of my youth, when "neck profiles" weren't even really an

issue or discussion. I think, sometimes, we talk ourselves into some of these preferences,

or even dislikes. But, then again, nowadays there's so much variety, why not pick what you

really like, to begin with. It's just not an issue, with me, really. It would have been

nice, back in the day, to have all these neck profile options, etc. But, they didn't really

exist, like they do now. Still, whatever floats your boat! [biggrin]

Another experience, I had recently, regarding neck profiles. I wanted a particular Telecaster,

that my dealer had in stock. Went up there, for something else, but while I was there, I tried

that Tele, and the neck felt "odd" to me. So, I passed on it. Last weekend, I was back up there,

and tried it, again, and it felt "just fine!" So...??? What changed? My mood, most likely. LOL!

CB

CB...

Regarding mood and "which guitar feels right," I think you've hit a good point there.

I'll wager that many, if not most of us, who have multiple guitars will have days when we just feel like playing this over that.

m

Oh, I totally "get," or understand, the "not my cup of tea" idea.

Just have a problem with the "One Trick Pony" attitude, statements.

To each his/her own, for sure. But, just because it's not one's

"cup of tea," doesn't mean it's a "one trick pony," at all.

But, "whatever!" [tongue]

CB

I still have a '77 Fireglo 4001 (bought used in '79).

Haven't played it much in the last 2 years, but let me tell you, they can be some very temperamental instruments (dual truss rod adjustments particularly - if you do it wrong, you can easily break one or both rods, or worse still, the neck). Until you learn/get used to setting them up, the process seems overly complicated & in some ways counter-intuitive.

Aside from the initial purchase price, they're extortionately expensive to repair. Probably 1984 or 85, my "horseshoe" pickup died (given that I bought it used, I have no idea if it was original to that bass, or had been retro-fitted by the previous owner, but if so, it was an outstanding piece of workmanship - you couldn't tell one way or the other). This was pre-internet of course, and there was nobody local who knew how to repair that pickup properly. The only "solution" that seemed to be a viable option was to have it replaced. So it's been sporting a Ric High Gain pickup from a 4003 ever since. I was offered the old pickup, but I figured it was junk, so I told them to trash it. Lord, how I wish I hadn't done that! I realize now that I could've probably had it remagnetized or repaired by someone qualified in the years that followed. Ah well, live & learn...anyway, back then (mid-80s), the new pickup and installation set me back a little over $200. A lot of guitars didn't cost that much back then (another reason I'm glad I eventually learned to do all my own repair work).

Once it's been properly set up, it's very stable and requires a minor tweak maybe once every 5 years or so, unless I change string gauge or type. Which brings me to my next point...

Strung with Rotosound round-wounds, I get that real trebly Chris Squire "clank" no problem. Yeah, you can fiddle with the tone, but you're not gonna stray too far from that sound. Likewise, strung with flats, I get the mellower McCartney, late-period Beatles "thump". Again, you have some variation with the tone control, but you can't wander too far from the inherent sound of those strings. In that sense, I'd say it is something of a one trick pony. The instrument is capable of a wide tonal range, but not at the flip of a switch. You've got to restring it. Probably not doing that between songs or sets.

The instrument can be frustrating, time consuming and expensive to maintain. You have to learn to live with its limitations and accept that it will in no way be as simple or straight forward as a Fender Precision or Jazz bass, but if you can do that, you've got a bass that sounds like nothing else out there. Maybe that's where the "acquired taste" thing comes into the equation.

All that being said, I know this...there is NO way anyone could convince me to part with it.

Yeah, I have 3 Ric's (2 12's and a 6 string). The necks on ALL of them are different.

Like most of my Gibson Les Paul guitars, they might say '60's profile, but they're all

different, to a certain degree. I don't care. How they feel, overall, and how they

sound, and play, even with their various differences, is the important thing.

"Mood," at least for me, IS a factor! Can't be a big factor, at times. Sometimes, none

of them feel quite right. Other times, several seem fine, other's "different." Still

again, in the right frame of mind, they're ALL "fine!" It's the same with how they

sound, from time to time. (We've discussed THAT, before!) [biggrin] Even pedals, seem

great one day, and "off" somehow, the next. Pffff! LOL [biggrin]

CB

I know that "mood" hits me on which guitar to play on a given day and - at times even which to use at this or that gig I still do a cupla times a year.

The last Cowboy Poetry/music thing I did - was with an AE 12. Hmmmm. Not typical for me, perhaps, but I just felt like it.

Hmmmm.

m

The only time "mood" is a factor is when I'm in the "mood" to play something but I don't own one.

Maybe, I might get in the mood to buy one of those Epi 335 types. I haven't really played in a while, and I can't justify Gibson money, although that's what my taste are, and what I have.

I might do well to adjust my mood.

Back to our regularly scheduled conversation about Rics: I think it would be kinda cool to play searing Blues with a Ric. It ain't associated with that type of music, but from what I know of them, should be well up to the job and even more so a good fit.

I play a Ric 4003 sometimes, a Precision sometimes, and a few others. The latest is an EB. The Ric is strung with TI Jazz flats, and it is still by far the snarliest sounding of all the instruments I own. My Precision has a neck like an aircraft carrier, and a Japanese hollowbody has a neck like a baseball bat. The Ric is a little noodle by comparison. Adjusting back and forth is easy, though. It all boils down to what the ears want on any given day. Some days the Ric sounds great. Some days it sounds like an old Toyota with a hole in the muffler and a couple bad valves.

Back to the original question. My guess, based on the number of guitars I see in shops, is that Gibson makes a while lot more guitars in the US than Ric does. When you consider how many different kinds of guitars and bass guitars Gibson makes, and how many you see if you walk into a shop somewhere, it seems pretty clear that Gibson makes a whole lot more. I would like to see the actual numbers, though, since it's just a logical guess without actual information.

Rickenbacker is, as I understand from dealers that have been, and/or are still involved

with their sales, quite "picky" about who sells them, and about the dealer sticking to

the set price structure. If they don't, Ric drops them, like a hot potato! Guitar Center

got into some trouble, in that regard, along with promising customers delivery dates,

that Ric never promised to meet! So, they keep a pretty tight reign, on their product!

CB

Ric 4003 basses to me, seem to be very temperamental for their sound, as to what amp it's played through. I really like my 4003 going through a Fender Super Bassman head / Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab. A lot of bottom to it, and less trebly clacking sounds.

that "RICK-O-SOUND" makes my teeth hurt... My bass player had one and every time he plugged it in to that "RICK-O-SOUND" jack we just BUST UP laughING because it sounded so awful [laugh]

I can't imagine Ric would out mfg Gibson, just on the model span alone, gibson has lots more to choose from.

I know a lot of guys like Ric's but I don't get it either, as Duane says, not for me either.

a few of my friends have rics,, one has a 12 string 360s. Very finicky guitars those 12 stringers... The strings spacing from the factory is very tight between the string pairs.

It's really hard to get use to but "oh Vhey! what sound!

The other guy has a 1970 blond six string, it's all stock, he's changed nothing.. I don't think he's even had a setup. it's never stayed in tune.

The funny story with this one, (not to hijack the thread) we were packing up one winters night and he left it behind one of the other guys cars, and sort of forgot about it.

(yes there was weed being smoked) Son of a gun if that car didn't back right over the case.. both wheels... The case was CRUSHED,, the guitar, miraculously survived. we have no idea how.

Must have had a case angel..

The funny story with this one, (not to hijack the thread) we were packing up one winters night and he left it behind one of the other guys cars, and sort of forgot about it.

Reminds me of a time when a bud of mine forgot his and left it in the car...he remembered and rushed out there and it was too late....someone had already seen it there in his car and being left unlocked, siezed the oppurtunity and stuck his in there as well.

I play a 1974 4001 Ric bass & a 2005 620 Ric solid body electric. I love these guitars. The 4001 bass has a very thin neck that is really easy to play as well as the distinct clarity I think a bass should have. The 620 electric is very versitle with the 5th knob that varies the pickup tonal qualities. It also is very thin - neck & body which really appeals to me. To know they were made here in the USA plus being a quality instrument means a lot to me. I love my Les Paul, but the Rics have a real appeal for me. I have tried the Ric 360 hollowbody. I love the look, but the twangy sound is not for me. Wanted to get one but realized for me it would be like a beautiful piece of furniture in your living room that you never use...rolleyes.gif

.DSCF5878.jpg

This whole Gretch V Gibson V Fender V Rickenbacker V....blah blah blah....

It's ridiculous. It's horses for courses. Pick your like in music, then pick your style of playing, and then pick your instrument. Simple.

If I wanted to get kegs of beer from here to there, I would ride a Clydesdale, but if I wanted to run the Melbourne Cup, it would be a race horse. Get it?

I know the genre I grew up with and like, and have picked my style and guitars accordingly. And I'm man enough to admit that I hate C&W music, yet that's not to say that I don't admire and envy the picking style and ability of someone like Scruggs. Or the C&W harmonica playing ability of say my Father (who I believe to be one of the best, ever).

So, just enjoy your music and the instruments that you play to achieve it, because they're all great. [smile]

Archived