Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Rock & Roll HOF Inductees

rocketman

Although I have not kept up with her music as much in the last decade or so, Joan Jett is very likely the reason I learned to play the guitar. :)

Yeah, I'd let her in, she rocks.

How ya doing there Gibsongrrl, managing to keep up with all the madness?

I'm happy about Joan Jett; I saw her in The Runaways when I was sixteen and so were they. Now mid-fifties she is still doing it; she earned her nomination. I'll pass on Green Day, though they are OK, maybe not hall of fame? Still no Chicago or Moody Blues? That is a shame.

You are all forgetting the huge biases Jann Wenner has. Anything Woodstock/freedom rock is in. The more peace and love hippy dippy, the faster they open the book for you. RollingStone mag cover darlings of the last 30 years? You're in too. Metal (Slayer, Megadeth, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, etc) or prog rock (Yes, Can, etc)? Good luck. Maybe next year. There are also some pioneering bands that need to be recognized like Sonic Youth, Television, and Black Flag.

The Sex Pistols are in but then again they made one album that is supposed to be influential and the legend Sid Vicious from what rumor says didn't even play a note on it, I doubt he ever did play. He may have been holding a bass with the sound off, sure, but playing, come on.

Never Mind the Bullocks is a classic rock and roll album, but yes, Steve Jones played all of the bass on that album. Vicious was just a post they hung their hat on. Glen Matlock was the bass talent and that was proven when they did the reunion tour. To be 100% honest, I think PiL was way more influential and important than the Pistols. We already had the Ramones and the New York Dolls and that made the Pistols' sound redundant.

How come Blink 182 is not on there, they are the same band as Green Day. Green Day like Nirvana and U2 and countless other bands that are in. Some of the most over rated bands to ever record.

I have one word for the Hall - Lame.

=D>

Mediocre.

Sad.

From the LA Times "critic":

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-rock-roll-hall-fame-inductees-20141216-column.html

This guy doesn't "get it" either IMHO

Interesting article. I don't agree with him on SRV and Double Trouble. SRV and Double Trouble certainly had more of a rock element than artists like Madonna. Nothing against Madonna because she at least wrote her own tunes, but they definitely use a wide brush to define rock & roll. It is what it is. I said that I would never go there until Rush got in, so I can at least visit it now.

"L.A. Rock Critic" Pfffft! :rolleyes: Who cares what "critics" say, or think?

He's just seems to be whining that HIS favorite "bands" didn't get in, AGAIN! :-({|=

And, FWIW, IMHO..."HipHop/RAP is NOT "Rock & Roll!" ](*,) Start their own HOF, in Detroit,

or some such.

As to Ringo? He should have been in there, a long time ago!

"2nd rate" drummer??? [omg] I think NOT! His drumming, like George's

guitar playing, was PERFECT for the Group, and their SONGS! [thumbup]

CB

"L.A. Rock Critic" Pfffft! :rolleyes: Who cares what "critics" say, or think?

He's just seems to be whining that HIS favorite "bands" didn't get in, AGAIN! :-({|=

And, FWIW, IMHO..."HipHop/RAP is NOT "Rock & Roll!" ](*,) Start their own HOF, in Detroit,

or some such.

As to Ringo? He should have been in there, a long time ago!

"2nd rate" drummer??? [omg] I think NOT! His drumming, like George's

guitar playing, was PERFECT for the Group, and their SONGS! [thumbup]

CB

He has been in as a Beatle.

Just not as a solo artist which I can understand.

He has been in as a Beatle.

Just not as a solo artist which I can understand.

Understood. But, to call him a "2nd Rate" drummer is just WRONG! IMHO.

Some people may not care for his "solo" work, and that's fine...that's

up to them. But, even so, his drumming in his solo work, and that of what

he contributed to other people's work (old band mates, or other's) was/is

JUST FINE!

CB

SRV & DT were one of the best examples of good 'ol Texas Blues/Rock ever, bar none. They most certainly deserved their place.

To let something like hip hop/rap in only serves to demean those who are already in there.

hip hop/rap is not music.

spot on CB.

Archived