Gibson Brands Forums

Caring For A Collectible Guitar

D4RK_4DV3NT

Recently I purchased a Gibson ZV Buzzsaw with the intent to play it. However, when I received it I decided to buy another guitar to play on instead and just keep the ZV locked away so that it will remain in pristine condition for however long I hold onto it. My question is, what kind of maintenance is involved in keeping a locked away guitar healthy?

Nice, unusual guitar, I like it. I have a 1990 LP Standard that I put up for my son. I put it in the case and haven't played it in years. Here's what I did. I loosened the strings, polished all moisture and finger prints off the body, neck and metal fixtures and lightly oiled the fretboard, placed several dessicant packs in the case. I put it away when I was in Colorado where it's very dry and now I live in Corpus Christi, where it's very humid. I take it out an check it sometimes and it still looks like a new guitar.

Loosening the strings is a must.

As for putting the guitar away, bad idea if you ask me...unless you're putting it away for your son, or something. First of all, how much damage do you think will be done by just playing it around the house? The list price on those Buzzsaws is $4,400 up here. Spending that kind of money on a guitar to just slide under your bed is both a waste of money and of a guitar. Secondly, if you're doing it because you think it'll be worth a small fortune in the future you're almost certainly dead wrong. No offense, but those guitars are probably the least desirable guitars Gibson makes nowadays. People don't want them now and they won't want them in 20/30 years from now, either. It'll be in the same boat as the Night Hawk and the Flying V2.

imagine if someone had done that with a 1959 les paul and just kept it in it case perfectley kept in beautiful condition for the past 50 years.

I remember reading a guy did do that but with an Explorer. '58, I think...and it sold for $650,000. Honestly, I hate this collectors mentality of buying a guitar and storing it in the closet for the hope of cashing in on it one day. People like you (not you guitarbob, I'm just saying) are the reason I have to spend $5,000 to get the guitar I want. B*llshit if you ask me.

First, I'm not saying what you should and what you shouldn't do. I think you'll enjoy caring and collecting that guitar a lot more than playing, right? If so, why would you care what others think? Follow your guts is what I tell you.

Secondly' date=' if you're doing it because you think it'll be worth a small fortune in the future you're almost certainly dead wrong. No offense, but those guitars are probably the least desirable guitars Gibson makes nowadays. People don't want them now and they won't want them in 20/30 years from now, either. [/quote']

Agreed. Altough historically it's BS to do a statement like this, but that guitar really does not have the "profile" of a Gibson that should become something that everyone will desire. It's a signature guitar to start with. It's not a standard, a silverburst or something. And even if was a guitar used by the very Zakk Wylde, Zakk ain't and will never be Clapton and most likely on of the dozens of guitars he use live will never be Blackie.

(Sure you don't need you investment to be worth a million dolars like blckie, but...)

So if it's money you seek, might no be the best of ideias. But everything I just said could prove to be wrong in time. Only time will tell for sure.

I remember reading a guy did do that but with an Explorer. '58, I think...and it sold for $650,000. Honestly, I hate this collectors mentality of buying a guitar and storing it in the closet for the hope of cashing in on it one day. People like you (not you guitarbob, I'm just saying) are the reason I have to spend $5,000 to get the guitar I want. B*llshit if you ask me.

I share your feelings.

And, yeah, that guitar is really a player's guitar.

EDIT: And I'm sorry for sticking my nose onto your business. You only asked about how to care for the guitar.

Secondly' date=' if you're doing it because you think it'll be worth a small fortune in the future you're almost certainly dead wrong. No offense, but those guitars are probably the least desirable guitars Gibson makes nowadays. People don't want them now and they won't want them in 20/30 years from now, either. It'll be in the same boat as the Night Hawk and the Flying V2.[/quote']

+1. If you were looking to buy a guitar as an investment, then you make the wrong decision on this one.

While everything seems to increase in value once they become an antique, two things seem to do better than the average:

1) Extremely popular items - Think 50's LP or Strat - 57 Chevy - Selmer Mark VI sax - and so on

2) Extreme bombs that were well publicized - Think any Edsel or an unopened can of Billy Beer

Will this guitar become one of those? Only time will tell.

I have a 1970 Gibson ES-330 that I bought for $300.00 in the late 70s. It is neither of the two above examples. They now go for from $3,000, before the economy crashed they were going for more (about 5k). The investment isn't as good as it seems though, because what you could buy for $300 in the late 70s probably costs about $3,000 now due to inflation.

On the other hand, it has given me many years of musical pleasure, and that is priceless!

Notes

If u want a guitar to be stored up it has to be something diffrent like that guitar is diffrent but if it had a diffrent paint job it could go for alot later on in life. Also i think we made this guy cry cause hes sorta made a investment.

When the SG came out nobody liked it...when Gibson introduced the flying V and the Explorer , nobody liked them either...remember that Gibson stopped making the LP in 1960 because people weren't buying them. I like the non-standard gibbys, everybody and their grandmother has an LP. The bizzsaw might not be everybodies cup of tea, but I dig it...apparently D4RK_4DV3NT and Zakk Wilde like them too...it's a big world out there with lot's of opinions...Remember the original question was "HOW DO YOU STORE" the guitar, not do you like it or think it'll be collectable.

When the SG came out nobody liked it...when Gibson introduced the flying V and the Explorer ' date=' nobody liked them either...remember that Gibson stopped making the LP in 1960 because people weren't buying them. I like the non-standard gibbys, everybody and their grandmother has an LP. The bizzsaw might not be everybodies cup of tea, but I dig it...apparently D4RK_4DV3NT and Zakk Wilde like them too...it's a big world out there with lot's of opinions...Remember the original question was "HOW DO YOU STORE" the guitar, not do you like it or think it'll be collectable.[/quote']

+1, especially that last sentence.

I'm gonna question loosening the strings.

The neck was designed for the pressure. My '61 Melody Maker has NEVER

NOT

Had tension. Ever. It's been strung up, in tune for 48 years. My '79 SG has been strung up and tuned for 30 years.

I've never understood why you would treat a guitar different if it was sitting in a case, or sitting on a stand, or hanging on the wall.

I wouldn't loosen the strings.

Best of luck.

Murph.

That's what a luthier told me the other day...

Oh.......

I must be wrong. I'll go loosen those strings on that 1933 Gibson mandolin because of your advice.

And my '61 Melody Maker.

Ect.

Thanks a lot.

Murph.

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for investment advice. If I were, I'd have created a thread soliciting advice before buying the ZV.

For informational purposes though, I think the Buzzsaw ZV does have the potential to increase in value over time. I understand many of you may not think so, but I do. It's design is a unique deviation from that of Gibson's other models. If no more ZVs are made due to the obvious lack of current popularity, then I believe it has the potential to increase in value in the far future as a result of its unique design and possible future rarity (since only 100 were made.) Of course, this is nothing more than speculation, but many investments are gambles. Even if this guitar didn't increase in value or even decreased I wouldn't care. Its design suits my odd style and feels great, so I could choose to one day use it as a playing guitar and I'd have no heartburn over it. My initial intent was to actually use this as a playing guitar, but for the reasons I've previously stated I decided to buy a Les Paul to use as a playing guitar instead.

Also, for those of you saying it's a waste of money, that's simply an opinion. Perhaps the $3,200 spent from your perspective is a waste for whatever financial reasons you may personally experience, but from my perspective it's not. It'd have only been a waste if I spent the money and were displeased with the purchase. I am not, therefore the money was not wasted.

Finally, I appreciate the related advice given to the question posed. I will definitely polish up the guitar and oil the fetboard, but I'll look a little more into whether loosening the strings is truly necessary. Also, where can you buy those little packets that deal with moisture?

P.S. - The fact that so many people in forums and blog comments dislike the guitar has only really made me like it that much more. Also, I'm willing to bet that many of you are merely passing superficial judgement and have never actually picked up, felt, or played this bad boy. It really is a great guitar! I'm gonna go polish it on the porch in my underwear now. :o

Also' date=' for those of you saying it's a waste of money, that's simply an opinion. Perhaps the $3,200 spent from your perspective is a waste for whatever financial reasons you may personally experience, but from my perspective it's not. It'd have only been a waste if I spent the money and were displeased with the purchase. I am not, therefore the money was not wasted.[/quote']

I wholeheartedly agree, and I applaud your well reasoned (and calm) response. The guitar you purchase, and the manner in which you intend to use it (i.e., play it, store it, display it, refinish it, etc.), is your prerogative and yours alone.

I buy my guitars to play, but who am I to tell someone that they should do the same?

Archived