Gibson Brands Forums

Frustrated with Fishman Ellipse Aura in my J-200

kebob

I love my J200 but have been frustrated with the Fishman Ellipse Aura pickup that came factory installed. It's a fairly high-end pickup, but I cannot dial in a good tone from it. I have futzed around with it for a year now and just am not happy with it. On the other hand, the Baggs Element that came with my Hummingbird I'm very satisfied with and it has much less bells and whistles. One other thing: I don't like the weight the Aura pickup adds to the J200. My J200 is feels significantly heavier than my Hummingbird -- is this typical? Thought maple was a lightweight wood like mahogany...

Anyway, has anyone every uninstalled an aura pickup -- and how is easy is it? I'm thinking seriously about going simpler and putting in an element.

Your thoughts...

Can't help with the pickup, just not a Fishman guy, prefer the Trance Audio over everything I've heard or used. On the other topic - the J-200 Standard that I had was a bit on the heavy side, much more than my J-45s.

I have no doubt the Trance system is excellent, but I have no one in the area with in experience in installing it, so that's a deal breaker for me. Good to know about the weight -- wonder how much the Aura system adds to it.

Could it be there are trim pots which perhaps call for adjustment? Just an idea...

Not that I know of -- the Aura has tons of bells and whistles on it -- actually, too many for my liking. I like simplicity with my pickups and I can EQ on an external preamp/board if needed.

I think J-200s are generally just average to heavy guitars. Hummingbirds, on the other hand, and for whatever reason, are featherlight. I've only played a few but have always been shocked at how light they are. I played a maple Hummingbird, on the other hand, and it's not featherlight. :)

The nice thing about the Aura is that it allows you to "color" your pickup's tone so that it sounds more like a real guitar. With the Baggs Element, you don't get that, just the pure sound of the pickup, and you don't hear your actual guitar at all. However, if you can't get a good tone out of the Aura, then I agree, it is actually worse than the Element. Fishman stuff sounds really bad "naked," where as, as far as pure piezo pickups go, Baggs Element sounds about the best.

Guess that's not much help, though. You aren't the only person I've heard who has had trouble with the Aura stuff. You'd think if it was built right into the guitar, it would be easier to get a decent tone than with the pedals, but apparently not! Makes me think the Baggs Anthem or Lyric is a better bet (which augments the pickup with a mic and the actual sound of your guitar in the Anthem's case and nothing but the mic in the case of the Lyric, though rather compressed sounding). I wonder if it would be hard to swap the Aura out for an Anthem since you already like the Element?

I have this pickup in a couple of my guitars and it seems okay, although I do not plug in too much now a days.

I recently had a custom built from Martin and had the Ellipse blend installed. I like it.

http://www.fishman.com/products/filter/series:ellipse

I did notice that Fishman has a download software available to allow you to download other modeling modes to you Ellipse via the USB port and your PC. I would play with that before replacing.

http://www.fishman.com/downloads/software

I put a Trance in one of my J200's. It's nice but I like the Ellipse just as much. I guess it depends on what you want out of it.

I have this pickup in a couple of my guitars and it seems okay, although I do not plug in too much now a days.

I recently had a custom built from Martin and had the Ellipse blend installed. I like it.

http://www.fishman.com/products/filter/series:ellipse

I did notice that Fishman has a download software available to allow you to download other modeling modes to you Ellipse via the USB port and your PC. I would play with that before replacing.

http://www.fishman.com/downloads/software

I put a Trance in one of my J200's. It's nice but I like the Ellipse just as much. I guess it depends on what you want out of it.

I have an Ellipse Blend on a small bodied Martin and I like that pickup much better than this Aura. Blending the Aura images on this pickup sounds terrible to me. Anything more than 10-15 percent is particularly bad.

Few years back I had a j200 standard which also had that pup in it. Too many buttons and messing around. I sold the guitar. LOL don't do that! But I would definitely consider getting something more user friendly. The Baggs element is superb. My personal favorite is the Baggs anthem. Just my .2

Few years back I had a j200 standard which also had that pup in it. Too many buttons and messing around. I sold the guitar. LOL don't do that! But I would definitely consider getting something more user friendly. The Baggs element is superb. My personal favorite is the Baggs anthem. Just my .2

Thanks for the insight MOP, I'm heading in that direction.

I'm aged on this one I realize, but I still prefer my acoustics to be just that, acoustic. That being said, several of my newer Gibsons have pickups. My SJ-200 has the Ellpse Aura. I'm pretty happy with the shaping it affords. So no complaints. Certainly isn't a light weight guitar. Capmaster, seems to have had a good thought on the Aura.

I'm aged on this one I realize, but I still prefer my acoustics to be just that, acoustic. That being said, several of my newer Gibsons have pickups. My SJ-200 has the Ellpse Aura. I'm pretty happy with the shaping it affords. So no complaints. Certainly isn't a light weight guitar. Capmaster, seems to have had a good thought on the Aura.

Reading up on the input trim pot -- it seems this pot is for maximizing input signal strength, not tonal shaping. Haven't adjusted it yet, but will this afternoon and see what happens.

I love the plugged in sound of my J200 (MR GIBS) and my J35.

Because of the "K&K Triniti Mini System" installed inside the instruments.

Authentic acoustic powerful sound.

I've read about many guitarists raving about the K&K. I had two of them installed in two different Martin guitars and was highly dissatisfied with both results -- way too mid-rangy honky for me. I tried the K&K preamp to go with them -- no better results. I sold one of the guitars and took the K&K out of the other. I know I'm in the minority regarding the K&K as most guitarists have good experiences with them.

Alright -- messed with the trim pot. Frankly, I'm not sure if I fixed anything or if I just messed with the settings enough, but I am getting some better tone. What a pain the rear the trim pot is -- My eyes are shot, so when trying to adjust a recessed screw with a jeweler's screwdriver inside a soundhole, it's a chore. Making matters worse is the screw is white, I couldn't even tell what kind of screwdriver I needed (flathead or phillips). I THINK I turned the screw. The battery light was blinking constantly before adjustment. A good turn (I think) and the light went off. The tone seemed less bassy/honky if that makes sense. Fussed with the EQ and I'm satisfied now.

The trim pot adjustment could be made a tad more user friendly, Fishman. [angry]

Thanks for all the input, fellas.

I finally removed the 9-volt battery from my guitars, since I never use the pickups. The J200 lost a tiny amount of weight but enough for me to notice. Made me wonder how light it would be without that crazy Ellipse Aura motherboard in there.

Is removing that controller difficult? Can it be put back in place with ease if I decide to sell down the road?

I have been putting off a project to remove the Aura from my J200 and replace it with a LRBaggs active iBeam. I've never liked the tone from the Aura and the control panel rattles and buzzes. I've had bits of cardboard stuffed in the various sliders and buttons to keep the thing from chattering. Having the thing out of the guitar will be a relief.

I have been putting off a project to remove the Aura from my J200 and replace it with a LRBaggs active iBeam. I've never liked the tone from the Aura and the control panel rattles and buzzes. I've had bits of cardboard stuffed in the various sliders and buttons to keep the thing from chattering. Having the thing out of the guitar will be a relief.

Let me know if you get around to removing the Aura. I'm curious if it's an easy job. Given the horrid battery life, I'd opt for something else if the unit didn't come installed.

I have no doubt the Trance system is excellent, but I have no one in the area with in experience in installing it, so that's a deal breaker for me. Good to know about the weight -- wonder how much the Aura system adds to it.

I was in the same boat when it came to the Amulet I spoke with Gary at Trance Audio and after talking with him about the install process he answered every question I had.

I decided to do it myself...I had never attempted any " work" on any of my Guitars except changeing the strings....

Believe me when I tell you it's not that hard to install the Amulet there is a great video on YouTube with easy to follow detailed instructions. The only thing I think that would be hard is sizing the end pin....but yours is already done since you have the aura..... You can do it you just need to take your time and follow the step by step instructions.

When your done you will have the best Accoustic system made Imo. They sound fantastic I was a Fishmann guy had the Aura in several Guitars now I have 3 Trance Audio Amulets in my go to Gibby's ....

I was in the same boat when it came to the Amulet I spoke with Gary at Trance Audio and after talking with him about the install process he answered every question I had.

I decided to do it myself...I had never attempted any " work" on any of my Guitars except changeing the strings....

Believe me when I tell you it's not that hard to install the Amulet there is a great video on YouTube with easy to follow detailed instructions. The only thing I think that would be hard is sizing the end pin....but yours is already done since you have the aura..... You can do it you just need to take your time and follow the step by step instructions.

When your done you will have the best Accoustic system made Imo. They sound fantastic I was a Fishmann guy had the Aura in several Guitars now I have 3 Trance Audio Amulets in my go to Gibby's ....

Can you remove the trace amulet system without damaging the guitar?

1422830531[/url]' post='1623508']

Is removing that controller difficult? Can it be put back in place with ease if I decide to sell down the road?

Removing the controller is very easy. It's mounted on 2 magnetic poles.

1.Remove strings,

2.unscrew the end jack cap then unscrew the nut being careful not to let the end jack twist. There is a cross hole thru the end jack you can put a jewelers screwdriver thru to keep end jack from twisting while you unscrew the nut. There is also a nut, lock washer and flat washer on the end jack inside the guitar if you can't reach inside the guitar they may fall off (the lock washer and flat washer) into the guitar but you can get them them after the controller is removed.

3.Now reach in and grab the controller and pull straight down and controller will release from the 2 magnetic poles.

4.Now you can turn the controller so you can see where the element undersaddle pickup is attached by 2 small flat head screws. Loosen those screws so you can pull the 2 wires of the element undersaddle p/u from the controller

5.now you can push the element wire up from the inside which will then dislodge the undersaddle pickup from the saddle slot and you can then remove the element wire completely.

6. Remove the Velcro backed bag holding the battery from the neck block and remove complete assembly (controller, end jack and battery).

Hope that helps.

• 4 years later...

I have this SJ200 for like 6 years now. Love that instrument, the acoustic sound is amazing. But I never understand this Ellipse Aura reason.

So, I thought it was me, somehow. I just installed my old LRBaggs M1 so I can do the gigs, but still frustrated with that called as 'awesome' OEM pickup.

I found out that the Ellipse Aura that is not OEM has a lot of mic emulations more and it can be choose by the USB port on the controller. Tried to do this, and discovered that its blocked on the OEM models. But I don't give-up so easily, and before I trash my Ellipse I had to do something else.

I hacked the software so it accepted the OEM Ellipse Aura. And I have tested ALL the mic emulations as well. NONE was good as my M1 (passive).

Now I can put this very expensive pickup on trash, because I'm pretty sure that it will give this awesome instrument a very very poor sound.

Still using my M1, and still a little frustrated that my expensive guitar came with this terrible electric system. The M1 bother a little, because my string action is low, and the 200 pickguard is a little thick, making the strings hit the pickup sometimes... and also the visual of the Aura on stage is invisible... It's a shame that it works so bad on this instrument.

• 9 months later...

My gibson j200 standard has a terrible noises comming from it when i swing the guitar it gets worse

had the jack plug changed still the same

gave it to a guitar electricsl guy checked all the wiring still the same

ive spent £200 so far on a £3000 guitar

and still cant plug it in to pa

thinking of taking whole pick up out and replaceing it any ideas on what it could be am so frustrated

Edited by Paul owens