Gibson Brands Forums

Bridges

Marshall Paul

Hello!

I've found that the bridge saddles do follow the 12" radius on my guitars. Even if they weren't, it's easy to fix by filing.

What would You say, if I said You: this isn't true for the frets?

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

Not at all, I can play in tune alongside for the guitars and keyboards with my fretless bases.

Only if you play a tempered scale like they use, meaning your intonation isn't perfect.

OK, I hope I'm not the only one who knows this is beyond sensible now. I taking the pee, I hope you realise.

I'm mildly surprised at a lot of the answers here, so here goes mine...

The curves on the bridge accomodate, from most to least, the percentage of vibration change in the string. As far as I understand it, all bridges curve up to the highest point on the D saddle, down on either side, because as a percentage of the distance between the string and the top of the frets, relatively speaking, when the bridge and string heights are set to the players preference and intonated correctly, the D string will be most likely to buzz when played open because it generally tends to bounce more than a more heavily wound string and more than a non wound string.

The flattest of fingerboards still requires the saddles to be slightly graduated from most bounce-y to least bounce-y.

That is my understanding of the science and tekknololgy behind the making of guitars. I'm not saying it's Aliens here, but it's Aliens.

If that nut job ERoman was still alive he could come in here and cuss us all out for not knowing this.

rct

LOL! Yeah, I know, but I'm still mad for it!

And I've seen that wiggly fret thing. Perfect intonation maybe, but how the hell do you play it?! lol [flapper]

This is the thing..

While I totally understand why people are into these sorts of specs and details about the guitar set up in the end its all a fairly rough science anyway (as has been pointed out)...

So while I appreciated that people just want to get the best from their instruments they have to realise its never going to ever be quite perfect so in many ways like a lot of the stuff we talk about, it really doesn't make that much difference... :) (but still interesting and fun to discuss).

The important part is the player.. If your technique and style of playing is good you can play any guitar and sound good. As I said in my earlier post.. As long as there isn't excessive buzzing and its intonated, theres not much else to really worry about after that (well I think anyway :)) (as far as setup is concerned)

This lady has one (not sure of her name)...

Lindsay Ell.

I think she has two...

One is on her Goddess which has the original clear-cover p'ups and the second is on the Goddess which has had a swap for chrome-cover P-100's(?) as seen in the earlier snap.

FWIW here's the other one;

Lindsay%20Ell_zpswv6ntz5l.jpg

P.

The one thing I found that is very different (and apparently will retrofit a LP) is the Hipshot baby grand bridge

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Hipshot-Baby-Grand-Bridge-Tailpiece-combo-p/43100c.htm

babygrandchrome_zpsf5d95qsr.jpg

The Hipshot Baby Grand is a retrofit for Gibson guitars featuring a stock wraparound bridge/tailpiece combination. The provided mounting posts are assemblies fitting contemporary factory bushings and allowing for overall height adjustment.

Fender bridges have an adjustable radius.

That's right. that's because each individual saddle can be raised or lowered as needed, so essentially, you can create that radii yourself. Why couldn't we have that as a new mod? That, I'd swoop in on like a nearsighted seagull at a weenie roast! (lol).

That's the one I was looking at! Thank's all. Does that use the existing bridge and stop bar post holes in the body?

It's how I wrote in my previous post. Quote with underlined passage: "The Hipshot Baby Grand is a retrofit for Gibson guitars featuring a stock wraparound bridge/tailpiece combination. The provided mounting posts are assemblies fitting contemporary factory bushings and allowing for overall height adjustment."

If you that kind of innovation you have to go to a guitar maker that embraces innovation.

BC Rich

Yeah ive seen some bridge/tailpiece combos out there that are slightly different.. Wilkinson make a cool one...

I was just looking at the BC Rich site.. Interesting... They offer each shape with different hardware so most shapes in the line up one of the models has that bridge you posted above then you get a string through, TOM and a tremolo bridge.. So they offer each set of hardware set up in each shape... That's pretty cool [thumbup]

This is the most far out one for an electric I saw with this (which I have thought about aswell).. And when I say far out I only mean in terms of what most people expect to see on an electric guitar.. :) Id love to do some sort of wooden bridge type set up. :)

cnrnzjj1j5psxttnhlaj_zpsnf4ooprz.jpg

Rabs, Dig this.

Fully Intonable

Individual String Height Adjustment Allows Equal Fret Board Radius

Increased Sustain

Cleaner Tones

Better Transfer Of Sound

Better Construction

Aircraft Quality Brushed Aluminum

Precision Machined to a tolerance of .0005

Includes (2) 5mm Stainless Steel Flat Head Mounting Screws, (2) 5/16-24 Brass Mounting Studs for Stop Tail

3mm Hex Key for bridge screws

5/32 Hex Key for Stop Tail

.050 Hex Key

Buy with confidence

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back!

Get $25 off your bridge purchase. Regular price $189.95. Buy now!

4530793.jpg

http://kelcouproducts.com/products.html

Rabs, Dig this.

Fully Intonable

Individual String Height Adjustment Allows Equal Fret Board Radius

Increased Sustain

Cleaner Tones

Better Transfer Of Sound

Better Construction

Aircraft Quality Brushed Aluminum

Precision Machined to a tolerance of .0005

Includes (2) 5mm Stainless Steel Flat Head Mounting Screws, (2) 5/16-24 Brass Mounting Studs for Stop Tail

3mm Hex Key for bridge screws

5/32 Hex Key for Stop Tail

.050 Hex Key

Buy with confidence

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back!

Get $25 off your bridge purchase. Regular price $189.95. Buy now!

That is truly awesome.. From all the stuff I have learned id say that's the perfect bridge...

HOWEVER.. two small things.. First is the brushed metal look which even though I love wont go with say the pickup covers on a lot of guitars (if this is a retro fit for a LP)... And secondly DAMN!! that's a hell of a lot of money for a bridge..

Personally I think its a bit over the top, im not that fussy.. BUT say I ever get a commission for a build and the person wants the top of the line everything, that's the bridge I will recommend [thumbup] (and some Searcy pickups of course ;))

Archived