Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup question for J-45 owners

DreamInColor

I recently grabbed a really nice used Gibson J-45 (rosewood). I need to have some setup work done on it, and I'd really like to replace the pickup system with something else. The stock UST sounds very "quacky" to me, and I believe there may be better options available for this guitar. I'll be running the guitar through an LR Baggs Venue pedal.

I do have another guitar (a OO size) with a K&K Pure Mini, which sounds pretty nice, but I'd thought I'd check here to see if other J-45 owners have swapped out their stock pups and what they've found works well.

Welcome to the forum, Dream. As a person who likes to keep acoustic guitars acoustic, not much of a fan of onboard electrical hardware here, but one person on the forum, DuluthDan, is one who comes to mind as frequently mentioning his preference for the Trance (Amulet?) system on his guitars. He's probably busy enjoying his new J-45 ADJ addition to the flock, so he may not have seen your question yet.

'Didn't want to leave the newb hanging. Again, welcome & hope to hear how it plays out for you-

I replaced the factory Baggs in my 2007 J-45 standard with the K&K mini and it's better to my ears but not terrific. Maybe it's because the guitar sounds so good unplugged that no pickup would suit me. In any case I got rid of the internal 9-volt battery which I hate, and some weight as well.

I have the Trance Audio Amulet stereo system in a Jackson Browne 12 fretter, with Walnut back and sides. The same pickup Jackson Browne actually uses for performances. It is the Cadillac of pickups in my opinion.

Hear it in my guitar here:

I also installed a Trance Amulet Mono system in a Southern Jumbo I had :

I currently have an LR Baggs Lyric in my J-45 TV :

You will note that I am admittedly a hack player now-a-days, but some of these vids may give you some ideas. I am not familiar with a Rosewood J-45. So, have no firm suggestion for you. For my money, the best sound for a performing artist might well be the Trance stereo. For great sound, ease of install, and accommodating ability to plug in at a moments notice, I like the Trance Mono system. The Lyric is acceptable, but gives a bit of a boxy sound, and is very sensitive to percussive sounds, which I have just by the sloppy nature of how I play.

For my money, the Trance Mono us hard to beat.

http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletm.html

I changed the stock pup in my J-45 (a fishman matrix back in 2005) to a k&k mini. This was better than the stock pup, but I was never really happy with it. Ended up installing a L.R. Baggs M 1 active. I really like this one, much better than the stock and better than the k&K, at least to my ears. I guess there are better pickup options out there, but these are way more expensive. I think the m 1 looks cool too, and you can remove it, when you don't use it.

IMG_0100_zps5fbf0593.jpg

• Like 1

All, thanks very much for the great responses. As it happens, I found a great deal for a used (but basically new in the box) Trance Audio Amulet M-VT Dual Mono System. I'm looking forward to getting it installed. I'll let you know my thoughts on the sound after I've been able to spend some time with the rig.

Looks like I'm too late. Regardless...

It should be pretty easy to get it swapped for an L.R. Baggs Anthem. This combines a microphone inside the guitar with the Element under the saddle (which is the stock). This lets you get some of the real sound of the guitar and is about as good as I've found next to using an actual microphone, which is what I still prefer and usually use if I can get away with it. I'm not a fan of pickups in general or quack. Baggs Anthem with your Baggs pedal would make a darn good combo, though, and would probably sound pretty good.

• 5 years later...

Hi Folks,

Last year I picked up my first Gibson guitar, a J-45 made around 2013. Love the guitar and the wonderful tone and volume with medium D'Addario strings. This guitar also has a factory pick-up with volume control. My experience with this pick-up is that the high and low E strings will produce very little volume compared to the four middle strings. I have checked the feather pick-up and original saddle and all is flat and smooth. My string height is about .100" or just under at the 12th fret. 

Has anyone else had this volume issue? Would a bone or tusk saddle make any difference?

You have a baggs element in yours.  i have a baggs element vtc. both use the same UST ribbon.

My high e was quieter than the other strings. I talked to baggs customer service and they told me to take off the strings, take out the saddle, and lift up the ribbon from the slot. Clean the slot... any bumps? no? Put the ribbon back and make sure it is completely flat

Look at your saddle. is it flat on the bottom? 

Making sure these contacts are all level and even is key. It turns out replacing my tusq saddle for a new one, and going through the above exercise, fixed my quiet high E.

good luck,

Edited by Salfromchatham

Thanks for the information Salfromchatham.  I will definitely pull the saddle and check the ribbon placement and seat. I am also considering replacing the saddle with a tusq one as the one in it is fairly loose in the groove but I will have to order one up.  We'll see if I can get at it on Saturday and I'll let you know if it helps.

5 year old thread! What happened to Jesse, anyone? Someone strangle him?

But Bill, you are probably better to go to a guitar tech that knows his biz - loose saddle and loose pickup can drive you nuts. The pickup ribbon can move and lose contact.....

I would research a nice new pickup plus a new bone saddle for that J45. 2013 model could probably get a new bone nut as well. It won’t hurt.

Grumble time....it is about time Gibson invented a new acoustic guitar pickup, preferably something that sounds like an acoustic! Won’t effect the acousticness, would be good. Maybe the new management can work on it instead of new models.

I am researching pickups for my 2002 pawn shop J50. As soon as my mechanic gives me my car back...and the cost...I will take the J to a luthier for a new nut and saddle and maybe a full Anthem system. (While waiting, I have tried the row of pickups I have bought over the years in the J50......Baggs M80 ok, Baggs M1A ok, Dimarzio Black Angel ok, Seymour Duncan Mag Mic real good.....all these go through a Fishman preamp/EQ/DI. But the most fabulous of the fabulous, not fully acoustic sounding but just a great, great sound - my Sunrise pickup through Sunrise preamp then the Fishman preamp! I have considered installing this permanently but it would be in the way of my Humidipak system.....and I would have to lug all the black boxes around whereas hopefully with an Anthem we are ready to plug direct!!!) Dunno! Dunno! Dunno!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

My J45 TV has an LR Baggs M1 Active.  To me it has a real warm sound and that's kind of what  prefer.  In my  J100, I've got a K&K pure mini.  I think it's excellent.  It's passive (no battery), but has a really strong signal.  Works very well with my Roland EX.  Ideal for gigs in a noisy coffeehouse.  An easy install, even for me.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:15 AM, BluesKing777 said:

5 year old thread! What happened to Jesse, anyone? Someone strangle him?

But Bill, you are probably better to go to a guitar tech that knows his biz - loose saddle and loose pickup can drive you nuts. The pickup ribbon can move and lose contact.....

I would research a nice new pickup plus a new bone saddle for that J45. 2013 model could probably get a new bone nut as well. It won’t hurt.

Grumble time....it is about time Gibson invented a new acoustic guitar pickup, preferably something that sounds like an acoustic! Won’t effect the acousticness, would be good. Maybe the new management can work on it instead of new models.

I am researching pickups for my 2002 pawn shop J50. As soon as my mechanic gives me my car back...and the cost...I will take the J to a luthier for a new nut and saddle and maybe a full Anthem system. (While waiting, I have tried the row of pickups I have bought over the years in the J50......Baggs M80 ok, Baggs M1A ok, Dimarzio Black Angel ok, Seymour Duncan Mag Mic real good.....all these go through a Fishman preamp/EQ/DI. But the most fabulous of the fabulous, not fully acoustic sounding but just a great, great sound - my Sunrise pickup through Sunrise preamp then the Fishman preamp! I have considered installing this permanently but it would be in the way of my Humidipak system.....and I would have to lug all the black boxes around whereas hopefully with an Anthem we are ready to plug direct!!!) Dunno! Dunno! Dunno!

BluesKing777.

I absolutely love my Sunrises. I was playing out this evening with my Maple AJ and Sunrise, and just marvelling at what a big, solid, articulate and sweet sound it has.

It's just so useable. Every sound engineer I work with raves about the Sunrise, the response and dynamics are astonishingly good and it is immensely resistant to feedback. 

I really like the MagMic I have in my Dove too, but the Sunrise is the king. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, I think I'm getting to the bottom of my varied pick up response issue. I bought a bone saddle blank and custom made it to fit my guitar including a nice snug fit into the saddle slot where the original was loose. Thanks Salfromchatham for your advise of checking out the ribbon. Unfortunately I did that after I made the new bone saddle. Under the ribbon I found a 0.020" shim which appeared a little wrinkled and some dark (rosewood?) sawdust. Does the factory send out guitars with shims under the ribbon? My next step is making another saddle and fitting it into the saddle base without the shim. 

I'll let y'all know how it turns out... 

On 3/17/2020 at 4:38 PM, CoolBassBill said:

Well folks, I think I'm getting to the bottom of my varied pick up response issue. I bought a bone saddle blank and custom made it to fit my guitar including a nice snug fit into the saddle slot where the original was loose. Thanks Salfromchatham for your advise of checking out the ribbon. Unfortunately I did that after I made the new bone saddle. Under the ribbon I found a 0.020" shim which appeared a little wrinkled and some dark (rosewood?) sawdust. Does the factory send out guitars with shims under the ribbon? My next step is making another saddle and fitting it into the saddle base without the shim. 

I'll let y'all know how it turns out... 

Okay... Fitted the new bone saddle to the J-45 without any shims above or below the ribbon pick-up. What a great sound. This improved the #1 E string volume through the pick-up but the low E is still very quiet. Not sure where to go next. 😞