Gibson Brands Forums

Amp bias

deepblue

First, remove the power tubes and measure the bias voltage at the grid (usually pin 5). Adjust the bias voltage to the most negative voltage (-50 is more negative than -40) then install the power tubes. The tubes are now over-biased and are running cool with lots of cross-over distortion. Now, connect the proper impedance load to the output of the amp and apply a 2000 Hz sine wave to the input. Turn the volume of the amp up to 70% output, or just prior to clipping. View the output waveform on the scope. Notice the notch indicating cross-over distortion in the signal. Adjust the bias control gradually until this notch just disappears. The amp is now properly biased.

First' date=' remove the power tubes and measure the bias voltage at the grid (usually pin 5). Adjust the bias voltage to the most negative voltage (-50 is more negative than -40) then install the power tubes. The tubes are now over-biased and are running cool with lots of cross-over distortion. Now, connect the proper impedance load to the output of the amp and apply a 2000 Hz sine wave to the input. Turn the volume of the amp up to 70% output, or just prior to clipping. View the output waveform on the scope. Notice the notch indicating cross-over distortion in the signal. Adjust the bias control gradually until this notch just disappears. The amp is now properly biased.

[/quote']

...so you need a multimeter, signal generator and an oscilloscope. Maybe a lesson on safely as well...so the average guy in these forums may be better off taking it in to be biased. I'm sure there's a recommended voltage level for most amps that that would provide a shortcut though????

Try the guitar tricks website , I rebias my amps myself . It's not that difficult to do but remember that it can be a shocking experience . I think its www.guitartricks.com . You can probably find someone with your application on their forums .

I bought a bias probe from Eurotubes (the previously posted video link). Plugged my multi-meter into it and 5 minutes later my Deluxe Reverb was perfectly biased. Good thing too - the tech who worked on it for me last had it set very cool (17mA). Once I got it back up to 28mA it warmed up considerably. The instructions on the Eurotube site are great and easy to follow.

Lots of older Fender amps have a "Hum Balance" adjustment on the back. You don't even have to pull a tube, just insert a flat blade screw driver and turn the adjuster either direction to balance the input/output. When it's at the quietest setting, you're done.

Archived