Gibson Brands Forums

NPD

FennRx

Hello!

Congratulations!

I don't know about that, but the EP Booster is probably the most useful thing for guitarists ever made!

Cheers... Bence

I'd say that about my TC Electronics Mini-Spark-Boost! It is superb...

I don't know much of anything about that Analog Man King of Tone...

It makes me think Joe Walsh from his song & album...

Anybody have one of these mofos? Long long wait time for sure. Finally arrived today. I really only messed with the Yellow channel. Pretty nice clean boost.

I've had Analogman's King of Tone pedal for quite along time now although mine is a one of a kind tribute pedal that I had Mike make for me as one of many tributes to my brother "Bobbie" who passed away unexpectedly back on June 9th 2005 (that date is used as the serial number of the pedal purposely visible on top of the unit). He was felled from a brain aneurysm. The pedal consists of Analogman's King of Tone, Clean Boost and Compressor so mine is actually three pedals in one. Here is a photo of my "Blues for Bobbie" tribute pedal.

BluesForBobbiePedalLarge.jpg

Note: The musical connotation here (for those of you wondering why on earth I would commission a "pedal" of all things to honor him) is that my brother and I grew up together in a musical household & many band and music projects - he was my drummer since we were 10 and 12 years old respectively and was also the drummer for the River City Rockets band up to the last day of his life. Our music kept us closer than many siblings because we were literally together several times a week for both rehearsals, recordings and gigs for decades.

The King of Tone pedal that the OP posted is a terrific pedal in every respect. Enjoy!!! [thumbup]

Yes I have one. KOT v4.

Well named IMO. Worth waiting for - an excellent pedal. Probably my best od/dist.

And with the dipswitches inside you can change each channel from boost to od to dist.

Interesting...might have to build one for myself sometime...not waiting that long or paying that much for a couple modded Tubescreamers in a box :P

-Ryan

I think you'd have to play through one before you can make that assumption [flapper]

Cool. Never seen one of these. Is it like an overdrive or what?

It's pretty much two OD pedals in one. The left side is "clean" and the right is "gain." Each side has a volume, tone and drive pot. On the inside of the pedal are four switches that allow you to set each channel as clean, OD or distortion. I elected to have the extra gain option added to the right channel.

Lots of combinations to be had.

Hello!

Congratulations!

I don't know about that, but the EP Booster is probably the most useful thing for guitarists ever made!

Cheers... Bence

I love the EP Boost. I pretty much leave it on all the time except when rolling back for clean(ish) tones. I love the way it make my Marshall growl.

I think you'd have to play through one before you can make that assumption [flapper]

I'll correct myself. I was thinking of the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, which is 2 Tubescreamers in a box. This is two modified Marshall Bluesbreakers (the pedal, not the JTM45) in a box. I'm not talking from a tonal perspective; I'm talking from a schematic perspective.

I could build one in 3 hours if I had all the parts on hand (which only total a few dollars not counting the box) and didn't take breaks.

-Ryan

Yes but you know you pay for more than that even before you factor in the profit margin. R&D and labour costs....time.

http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

As a dual pedal it is reasonably competitively priced though towards the higher end of the market. People pay that much for 2 separate new pedals.

If you want to go real expensive there is Pete Cornish (can be over £600GBP for one pedal), or an original Klon Centaur (over £1k). Even the new Klon pedal is about as expensive.

I couldn't build one in 3 months, years or....ever....! [smile]

Yes but you know you pay for more than that even before you factor in the profit margin. R&D and labour costs....time.

http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

As a dual pedal it is reasonably competitively priced though towards the higher end of the market. People pay that much for 2 separate new pedals.

If you want to go real expensive there is Pete Cornish (can be over £600GBP for one pedal), or an original Klon Centaur (over £1k). Even the new Klon pedal is about as expensive.

I couldn't build one in 3 months, years or....ever....! [smile]

Oh i'm aware of R&D and labour costs, and the state of the pedal market. I'm also starting up a pedal company. The price is definitely fair for retail, I'm just saying I personally wouldn't pay that much, since I have the capabilities to build one for much cheaper.

And yeah, Cornish's prices are ridiculous..his $200 buffer is $0.11 in components plus a crappy looking box and hardware. Maybe $10-15 and an hour of work.

I just think 8-17 months is a ridiculous wait time for a pedal. Especially when you've got multiple people building for you.

-Ryan

Oh i'm aware of R&D and labour costs, and the state of the pedal market. I'm also starting up a pedal company. The price is definitely fair for retail, I'm just saying I personally wouldn't pay that much, since I have the capabilities to build one for much cheaper.

And yeah, Cornish's prices are ridiculous..his $200 buffer is $0.11 in components plus a crappy looking box and hardware. Maybe $10-15 and an hour of work.

I just think 8-17 months is a ridiculous wait time for a pedal. Especially when you've got multiple people building for you.

-Ryan

Well as previously stated I have my own special version of Analogman's KOT which is priceless to me. I'd rather be playing than wielding a soldering gun any day. And with all due respect young gun - Analogman has a world market to feed his pedals to - you don't. ;)

Well as previously stated I have my own special version of Analogman's KOT which is priceless to me. I'd rather be playing than wielding a soldering gun any day. And with all due respect young gun - Analogman has a world market to feed his pedals to - you don't. ;)

Oh I can appreciate that pedals (like guitars, amps, anything really) can have sentimental value that makes them virtually priceless. And as to your last point; there are only so many people who will want a King of Tone in the world :P

-Ryan

I'll correct myself. I was thinking of the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, which is 2 Tubescreamers in a box. This is two modified Marshall Bluesbreakers (the pedal, not the JTM45) in a box. I'm not talking from a tonal perspective; I'm talking from a schematic perspective.

I could build one in 3 hours if I had all the parts on hand (which only total a few dollars not counting the box) and didn't take breaks.

-Ryan

Hey Ryan, I have a Fulldrive2 which I use all the time as my 'dirty channel' - how do you mean with regards the Tubescreamer - I'm interested to know how I can get the best out of it and the TS are obviously well regarded. The FF has 3 'channels' - Compression Cut, Flat Mids and Vintage - is it these that relate to variations of the TS or is it to do with the boost function? (I generally use Comp Cut in band).

Other guitarist in one of my bands uses a TS so interesting for me to understand how they are related. cheers Ryan - 's.

Rev - I checked out your RCR's one time not long back on youtube - good stuff but I could only find one video. Must see if there's more to be found [thumbup]

Hey Ryan, I have a Fulldrive2 which I use all the time as my 'dirty channel' - how do you mean with regards the Tubescreamer - I'm interested to know how I can get the best out of it and the TS are obviously well regarded. The FF has 3 'channels' - Compression Cut, Flat Mids and Vintage - is it these that relate to variations of the TS or is it to do with the boost function? (I generally use Comp Cut in band).

Other guitarist in one of my bands uses a TS so interesting for me to understand how they are related. cheers Ryan - 's.

Rev - I checked out your RCR's one time not long back on youtube - good stuff but I could only find one video. Must see if there's more to be found [thumbup]

The Fulldrive 2 is a modified Tubescreamer. And I don't just mean he "took inspiration" from it; he took an Ibanez Tubescreamer circuit, applied a few popular mods to it, changed the output buffer to a germanium transistor instead of silicon, and altered the tone control sweep a bit.

The 3 position switch you mention (Flat Mids, Vintage and Comp Cut) is a diode clipping switch; a common mod for Tubescreamers. Flat Mids uses either LED or Mosfet clipping (can't recall), Vintage uses silicon diode clipping (same as a stock Tubescreamer), and the Comp Cut mode actually removes the clipping diodes entirely (which makes it a lot cleaner and less compressed, which gives you more volume).

The "Boost" switch isn't actually a boost at all. Mike Fuller leveraged a popular mod; changing the value of the Drive pot. The stock TS808 Drive pot is 500K. However, the maximum drive output of the circuit is achieved with a 1M Drive pot. So that's what the boost switch does; it swaps the 500K Drive pot for the 1M Boost pot.

Other than that, he changed a single capacitor in the tone circuit, changed the output buffer as mentioned above, swapped in different silicon diodes than a TS808, and rearranged the diodes for asymmetrical clipping like the Boss SD-1 (which in itself is very close to a Tubescreamer).

So essentially, in Vintage mode with the boost off, you're pretty close to a stock Tubescreamer. Comp Cut removes all the diode clipping so you only get opamp clipping. Flat Mids reduces the Tubescreamer "Mid hump".

I know a lot of this is tech jargon, but I figured I might as well explain in as much detail as possible.

-Ryan

no, that all makes sense.

The 3 modes are actually quite interesting to use. The Comp Cut is certainly louder (and if you hit boost in Comp Cut its a much stronger boost than in the other 2 modes - where the boost is next to useless IMO) - it also has a second switch between 'Mosfet' and 'Vintage' (confusingly) which have some variance in tone (warmth?) - anyhow, that's great to know about Vintage vs TS, thanks - I'll try it in Vintage a bit more and see how it sounds. Playing rhythm mainly in rock/R&B I am wary of using much gain - the Comp Cut definitely adds gain, but in a mild/controlled manner so I tend to use it, then for the odd solo, the boost is actually useful. In some ways the Flat Mids is the nicest sounding setting of all if using at home, but probably the one I'd use least in the band scenario.

thanks again - good info.

no, that all makes sense.

The 3 modes are actually quite interesting to use. The Comp Cut is certainly louder (and if you hit boost in Comp Cut its a much stronger boost than in the other 2 modes - where the boost is next to useless IMO) - it also has a second switch between 'Mosfet' and 'Vintage' (confusingly) which have some variance in tone (warmth?) - anyhow, that's great to know about Vintage vs TS, thanks - I'll try it in Vintage a bit more and see how it sounds. Playing rhythm mainly in rock/R&B I am wary of using much gain - the Comp Cut definitely adds gain, but in a mild/controlled manner so I tend to use it, then for the odd solo, the boost is actually useful. In some ways the Flat Mids is the nicest sounding setting of all if using at home, but probably the one I'd use least in the band scenario.

thanks again - good info.

The reason the Comp Cut creates a stronger boost is because it's not compressing; compression reduces volume. Diodes clip the waveform, giving you more gain and less volume. This is why you're hearing the Vintage and Flat Mids modes as next to useless as a volume boost.

Proof of concept for the Boost not being a true boost; crank the Drive knob all the way up, and turn the Boost knob to just around 12:00 (may be a little before or a little after). Stomp on the "Boost" switch, and you shouldn't hear any difference. Because the 1M Linear "Boost" knob at 1/2 of it's rotation is 500K, the same value as the Drive knob up full.

-Ryan

dead right - in fact if drive is on full you could probably turn boost to full as well, hit it and virtually hear no difference in volume (except of course in Comp Cut mode where its a decent boost).

The Fulldrive has a lot of nice subtleties and I have used it a great deal over past three or so years without complaint and am very satisfied - totally reliable (it does take 18v too which I'd like to try sometime) - but people would be disappointed if they bought one expecting it to be a metal style heavy rocking drive/distort unit.

(it does take 18v too which I'd like to try sometime)

Just a harmless plug here...if you're interested in trying out 18V, I can make you a little 9-18V converter for cheap in a little 1590A (EP booster-sized) box. Could even add a pot to let you control the voltage from 18 down to 3V or so.

If you're interested, drop me a PM ;)

-Ryan

I was just glad to see Klon Centaur and remember how hard we laughed at the unabashed worship of 4.38 worth of parts in a metal box that sounded just like every other 4.38 worth of parts in a metal box.

rct

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread. My bad.

-Ryan

Ryan, it's all good.

I am aware that many products, such as stomp boxes, are often not priced anywhere near the cost of the labor and components. It is what it is. So tell me more about your builds....mostly OD? Do any Fuzz or other effects? I might be interested..... [biggrin]

So tell me more about your builds....mostly OD? Do any Fuzz or other effects? I might be interested..... [biggrin]

I currently have one model, the Sig 800, which is an overdrive/distortion pedal based off of a JCM800's preamp section. The next pedal I plan to add to my roster is a reverb, with a currently undecided name. I also have a delay in the works, along with a few "Utility" type pedals (splitters, voltage doublers, buffers ect).

However, I'll build anything if somebody's willing to pay for it. Most analog pedals are fair game. Let me know if there's anything specific you're looking for.

-Ryan

Archived