Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson designed guitars.

MaxiumburnN

I am not going to argue, but I agree with Searcy and the others. Besides playing guitar, I also am a gun collector. The price of guitars rather you agree to it or not can be compared to the price of guns maybe a little better. Not all guns appreciate while others do depending on how many they made and how rare. Colt made the peace maker or the cattleman 45 LC way back in the 1800's. Today those originals are way out of site to buy. Colt made replicas of these firearms in the 1900's also after they discontinued them in the 1800's and people flocked to pay whatever price that Colt asked for. Uberti and Pieta came out and made replicas of the colt to such fine requirements that the colt parts interchanged with the Ubertis. The pieta is slightly larger then the uberti. But the colt and uberti are exact replicas. While it will cost some where up to 2 thousand dollars to buy a modern colt replica depending on what model you get, you can buy a uberti for around $500.00 and up to $800.00 for a Cody. In sass shooting, lots of people buy the Ubertis and even Rugar Vanquerros or Pieta but tons of guys want and pay for the more expensive Colts. It's the name on the product as much as the product itself that people go for regardless of price. To some people, price means nothing. I myself have one Colt that was handed down to me but I can't afford to buy one that I want. For that reason I would probably buy an Uberti, but I would much rather have a Colt if I could afford one. While your taste is not someone else's taste, never say Never! There are some cars I see people drive that my wife and I say, "we wouldn't be caught dead in it" but there are enough people out driving them who love them.

Well that was certainly an incoherent rant. And I mean that in the kindest way sir. You guys need to stick to the topic that we're talking about: it's not about guns, it's not about fine Art,it's not about collecting coins. We're talking about guitars here.!

Well that was certainly an incoherent rant. And I mean that in the kindest way sir. You guys need to stick to the topic that we're talking about: it's not about guns, it's not about fine Art,it's not about collecting coins. We're talking about guitars here.!

null_zpsf2f7f4df.jpg

See this guitar? It debuted in 2011 for $399. Two years later I bought this one brand-new in the box for $175. Last year I sold it for $375. Not all guitars appreciate past original sale value. Would you like to see 10 more examples?

1427299263[/url]' post='1643483']

I guess I was only trying to help you see things in a different perspective but maybe it didn't work. Your main comment was that only an idiot would buy an ugly guitar for $6,300.00 since you can get something cheaper. Then all Gibsons appreciate in value anyway. In those terms, why would someone want to buy a Colt pistol for say $1,500.00 when you can get an exact remake copy for less then half the price. They both function the exact same way. Some people would rather go for the higher priced Colt. Same with guitars. You said no one in their right mind would buy that expensive guitar but watch and see Gibson sell it. As for all Gibsons increase in value, a 2007 Gibson Less Paul Standard Gold Top sold for $3,445.00 with the 60's neck brand new. Two years ago I bought that same guitar, brand new mint condition at Guitar Center with a $100.00 amp, several music books, a extra set of strings, (Ernie Ball), a power chord for the guitar and a leather shoulder strap, two different bags of guitar picks, a tuner, a warranty, a Gibson guitar case all for $1,500.00. I was a little confused at first when I got home wondering if it was indeed a Standard so called Gibson service with the model numbers and indeed it was a very expensive guitar. Since you say they all appreciate, would you be willing to buy just the guitar for say, $6,300.00? I might go check out the one you say nobody wants to buy. lol having the only one would make it worth much more!

null_zpsf2f7f4df.jpg

See this guitar? It debuted in 2011 for $399. Two years later I bought this one brand-new in the box for $175. Last year I sold it for $375. Not all guitars appreciate past original sale value. Would you like to see 10 more examples?

I want you guys to start thinking and using your brains. The guitar you mentioned above you got for hundred $175 right? That may or may not have been the street price for that guitar which is listed. In other words you bought the guitar for a street price and now it's worth more so you just made my point.!! Start thinking guys

I guess I was only trying to help you see things in a different perspective but maybe it didn't work. Your main comment was that only an idiot would buy an ugly guitar for $6,300.00 since you can get something cheaper. Then all Gibsons appreciate in value anyway. In those terms, why would someone want to buy a Colt pistol for say $1,500.00 when you can get an exact remake copy for less then half the price. They both function the exact same way. Some people would rather go for the higher priced Colt. Same with guitars. You said no one in their right mind would buy that expensive guitar but watch and see Gibson sell it. As for all Gibsons increase in value, a 2007 Gibson Less Paul Standard Gold Top sold for $3,445.00 with the 60's neck brand new. Two years ago I bought that same guitar, brand new mint condition at Guitar Center with a $100.00 amp, several music books, a extra set of strings, (Ernie Ball), a power chord for the guitar and a leather shoulder strap, two different bags of guitar picks, a tuner, a warranty, a Gibson guitar case all for $1,500.00. I was a little confused at first when I got home wondering if it was indeed a Standard so called Gibson service with the model numbers and indeed it was a very expensive guitar. Since you say they all appreciate, would you be willing to buy just the guitar for say, $6,300.00? I might go check out the one you say nobody wants to buy. lol having the only one would make it worth much more!

I did not say that because the guitar is ugly and cost 6000 that a person is going to go buy a cheaper guitar. No I said that the person will take a look at the guitar and say it isn't Worth it to buy because you can get a better made guitar. and quality for the same or lesser amount. Why is that so hard to understand?

And please I'm not interested in guns. Furthermore the interest in guns and weapons is sort of the antithesis of a musician who is trying to better themselves through harmony and peace. The lust for guns and I must say violence that goes with them is a base emotion to be avoided.and seems out of place on a guitar forum.

first of all I'm saying is that nobody is going to spend $6000 for that guitar they can get a better guitar for the same amount of money or less. And if you want to Gibson name you can get a Gibson for that amount and cheaper used on the market. Like a L4 or L5

It's the simple economics.... people are not fools.

only people on guitar forums are? Get a grip. You don't like it. You think it is too expensive. Blah, blah, blah. Go play one you already have.

what I'm saying is that the people like myself are not going to put up with bullshit anymore and you know I don't give a damn what Gibson or people like you think, but you know you just can't exploit customers like that without people speaking up about what a sham these things are.

I don't think he got the part where you bought it new and not street price.

4H

There's a lot he doesn't get. "I don't understand how these tops or pick guards are made therefore they are not quality and someone is trying to rip me off..."

But we all need to adjust our thinking... :rolleyes:

Very interesting read gentlemen.

My beautiful 2009 LP Custom with the P90s probably wouldn't sell for more than I paid (in late 2011) if I put it on the market now.

I don't think any new production Gibson bought from a retailer of some sort at (ahem) 'street price' appreciates these days...

It is the special runs and limited editions that do so, if that specific guitar gets a good rep for whatever reason.

The Cap'n Kirk SG has sold out and though they come up for sale, they are beginning to go up a bit. There are only so many.

You won't get an original 1st issue Johnny A for less than original retail either.

On the other hand there are so many LP variations and reissues that it is bewildering...the signature editions are generally far too-high priced to appreciate in value.

And though again there are only so many.....there are only so many guitar buyers who have and will spend that sort of money. It's not a big market and it's not growing either.

As far as new designs - and variations on old and classic designs - go, Gibson under HJ have and are doing it in their way.

I would never have thought that including an auto-tuner was partly a ploy to put off counterfeiters but it makes an oblique kind of sense.

But if you want a set-neck guitar of the quality I feel in my LP Custom and other Gibsons - that takes time, care and costs money.

New design innovations vs established reputation and tradition. It's cyclical as well as market-linked IMO.

Regards!

New design innovations vs established reputation and tradition. It's cyclical as well as market-linked IMO.

Regards!

Furthermore, it didn't always work as planned. This announcement for 28th October 2010 may serve as an example:

https://crossharpchronicles.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/major-gibson-event-planned-for-nyc/

Here's an excerpt - quote:

"Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar Corp, will address members of the press, artists and fans, with an announcement that will change music forever. This is more than a press conference. More than an event. This is an uprising!"

And this is the link to the featured article:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/revolution-1028.aspx

including this pic where HJ failed to break a bolt-on neck SG copy's maple neck at his first attempt despite of a notch obviously sawn close to its joint:

firebird-x_105238023_SA_0978_CEA5ED21CEACF79B1B6B3D156D4D5AB4.jpg

quote: "... while ushering out the old age of instruments with a good, old-fashioned guitar smashing!"

Anyway, the projected Firebird X and later LPX revolution didn't take place.

• 4 months later...

This is the guitar. cheap dot markers, cheap unbound pick guard which will probably disintegrate if the guitar is left too long in the case. all for 6 K??

The pict on the bottom is another maker and about 2 K street price. The other issue is whether pressing the wood will affect the tone? If you think about it an aged guitar has less dense wood due to loss of water. The older guitars sound better.

post-27952-052304000 1439996611_thumb.jpg

post-27952-061024000 1439996625_thumb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Well we will see about how this model does in the year and you can buy me a cup of coffee when they discontinue it. But on the other hand you're misunderstanding the appreciation of Gibson guitars.., they all appreciate.

They appreciate from the original selling price that's what you're confusing so something that is sold in 1960 is going to be worth a lot more now than the original price but not compare it to the selling price today which is different. Which is related to inflation etc.

No, you're clouding the difference between appreciation and inflation to form a flawed argument so you can shout about what you can't afford.

A late 50s les paul standard, for example, sold for about the same new as a new les paul does now taking inflation into account. Being rare, a late 50s les paul now sells for hundreds of thousands. However, an 90s les paul sells now for less than it cost new, taking inflation into account, because they're not rare.

Over the last 5-10 years we've seen a slightly different economic cycle. The price of "American hand made" has gone up (labour costs) as have the costs of logistics (oil related) and wood is becoming more expensive so guitar prices have spiked a little. These means short term depreciation can sometimes be off set to give a break even on high end guitars. For example, I have a 2011 R8 and paid £2149 for it. A new one now is a grand more so if I sold mine, right now, I might just get my money back.

I disagree with nearly everything you've said. Where did the idea that the formed top meant laminated come from?

There is very little water left in wood before it is even made into a guitar. If there was, it would warp.

I'm not being funny but you seem to be ranting about something you have no understanding of whatsoever and making your arguments up as you go along.

This is the guitar. cheap dot markers, cheap unbound pick guard which will probably disintegrate if the guitar is left too long in the case. all for 6 K??

The pict on the bottom is another maker and about 2 K street price. The other issue is whether pressing the wood will affect the tone? If you think about it an aged guitar has less dense wood due to loss of water. The older guitars sound better.

Wow... So 5 months later your butt is still hurt over this new guitar you can't afford?

The new pick guard is not make from nitrocellulose plastic and will not gas out and disintegrate... Do you know anything about guitars at all?

Wow... So 5 months latter your butt is still hurt over this new guitar you can't afford?

The new pick guard is not make from nitrocellulose plastic and will not gas out and disintegrat... Do you know anything about guitars at all?

I have a disintegrated pickguard on eBay right now. It's black. Well, it was. You'll have to trust me on this. $1400.00US paypal gifted, buyer pays actual shipping and insurance.

rct

New Gibsons don't necessarily appreciate. In my experience it's always cheaper to buy used Gibsons than new Gibsons. Vintage pre-Norlin Gibsons are another story, though, and I don't think new Gibsons will appreciate in such a way.

The Blues Hawk is one of the only "new designs" I can think of in 50 years, and it's really more of a Les Paul mutant than a new design. Same for Gibson's superstrat, a Stratocaster mutant. There have been some wacky oddballs that weren't built to be taken seriously, though, like the Reverse Flying V. The only real design innovation I can think of is the Axcess neck joint, which I think should be optional on all slab models. But these days Gibson doesn't really innovate so much as it pushes spinoffs of the same ol sale ol.

Archived