Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson beater - is there such a thing ?

EuroAussie

Wow - I love the look of this guitar. The most cühl modifications - the withheld parallelograms somehow really rocks. .

In relation to Mike Selmers Bird-thread, we have to ask : Is this 67'er a long or short scale ?

Question 2 is of course if we can hear the sweet thing. . .

It's 24 3/4" scale . . . don't have any recordings though.

It's 24 3/4" scale . . . don't have any recordings though.

Which points toward the conclusion that the long scale was introduced somewhere in '67. Perhaps they even went back and forth that year.

Regarding a sound-bite, why not press the red button. .

I've been pickn' (or trying to) for over 45 years now (damn, I'm old!). Learned on my old man's guitar that he got selling salve way back when. Never have recorded a thing (which is probably a good thing) . . . just enjoy getting together with my freinds on Friday nights and having fun! A fellow guitar/bass player, a conga guy, a harp player, and a sometime singer too (who used to pick until he broke both wrists).

It's good times!

NO

Reason is a "beater" has nothing to do with age or condition or where you play it but a frame of mind. A beater is that guitar you are willing to subject to having the bridge shaved or a kamikaze neck reset to make it playable. It has to be able to be replaced without too much trouble, not necessarily by the same model but by something that can easily fill its shoes. But mainly, a beater is guitar that while you do not necessarily abuse it, it tends to be more worry free. You will put it in the back seat of a car without a case, walk around with it slung over your shoulder, or leave it propped up against a chair when you go to make a sandwich even with kids running loose.

That's what I have a carbon fiber guitar for. And if I get mugged, I can use it as a weapon.

Well I took the Gibson Blues King L-00 to the blues club and it got passed around like a ......

Before photo:

Lattice-01f_zpsaa6c2807.jpg

After photo:

Queenie7i_zps7022376c.jpg

[mellow] [mellow] [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Rawk! Too funny.

My 65 J50 was that guitar. Made playable by a talented local luthier but never worth much due to the vintage, top belly, overspray, and beaucoup finish checking. It became my national, so not looking back. One may still bea able to find a deal on a late 60s J, an LG1/ LG0, or an abused orpahn from Bozman.

I have an early 70's J45 Deluxe That looks pretty rough. Binding falling off, head stock was broken off and repaired. Top split and repaired. I had neck reset, fret job done on it.I have left it on porch overnite. I would take it any where and play. I would be lucky to get a couple hundred for it the way it is. I bought a Loar L016 as a beater but this J45 is really my beater. When they cremate me they can burn the guitar and I'll have it with me forever.

We camp on a very remote beach in Texas for a few days at a time two or three times a year. I always buy some pawn shop guitar to take. Usually about 50 bucks. Fender and Epi mainly. Never a Gibson. They usually do not survive the salt/sand and humidity/spray. Fall apart about a week after we get home. I'd love a carbon fiber for this, but I can buy a bunch of 50 dollar guitars for the price.

I don't throw any guitars around the back of the truck. I don't sit too close to the camp fire. I don't pass my guitars around to strangers, because there are people out there who can put a couple of dozen gouges in a top playing a single song.

And I take the guitars I want to play when it's time to play. No beaters. YMMV.

P

I don't throw any guitars around the back of the truck. I don't sit too close to the camp fire. I don't pass my guitars around to strangers, because there are people out there who can put a couple of dozen gouges in a top playing a single song.

And I take the guitars I want to play when it's time to play. No beaters. YMMV.

P

I'm with you on that point..I especially like big belt buckle wearers who ask to play your guitar!!! Or guys after eating a handful of potato chips…..

I don't pass my guitars around to strangers, because there are people out there who can put a couple of dozen gouges in a top playing a single song.

First thing that happened to my j45 was some knucklehead dinged the top up pretty good, not through the paint or anything but it is there and I see it when I play.

Its funny about this tread as I was thinking the other day how I bought that guitar to be my workhorse and I how I couldn’t wait until it had hundreds of different dings and nicks, telling the stories of moments lived and passed and whatnot. Anyhow, I really cannot seem to bring myself to start this visual diary of sorts, letting my guitar earn its scars that is. I simply value it too much.

War story!

A guitarist I have known for a long while was over and sitting around my kitchen table strumming my 000-15 to see if he was going to buy a new version.....supposedly...and I say supposedly because I dont recall him ever buying anything ..at all..,ever.... And what's wrong with playing the one you want at the shop?

I thought how loud my guitar sounded with him playing it and looked closer to see him using a huge pick that looked like metal. I asked to see and it was his new pick from a bit of steel. I said something to the nicer version of "Stop please"

And then the better half chimed in from the next room about how precious I am with my guitars.

"Well, excuse ME!"

I have since found out that he has truly lost his marbles!

So moral of the story is that some people you think you know arent who they were before!

SCREEN all guitar players or you nice guitar becomes that beater.....

BluesKing777.

That's what I have a carbon fiber guitar for. And if I get mugged, I can use it as a weapon.

I wouldn't be all that intimidated by a dude with a carbon-fiber guitar.

But if we are talking about "beater" guitars, a Tele would be the best weapon I can think of.

I wouldn't be all that intimidated by a dude with a carbon-fiber guitar.

But if we are talking about "beater" guitars, a Tele would be the best weapon I can think of.

More specifically I would add a Tele from the late 70's made of ash. I have a 1979 hardtail strat with the ash body and it weighs near ten pounds.

More specifically I would add a Tele from the late 70's made of ash. I have a 1979 hardtail strat with the ash body and it weighs near ten pounds.

Ha!

My first 'good' guitar was the 1973 Fender Telecaster Custom weighing in surely at way more than 10 pounds, skinny skinny neck but Seth Lover humbucker in the neck end and a sound to kill with a slide in open E........later bought new a 1983 Fender Standard Strat which could weigh double the Tele.....made things hard by lugging them AND a Marshall amp.

Add my National Tricone in a case and we need a forklift to get to a gig.

Then I thought I am going FULL acoustic - yeah for Blues King and L-0 featherweights!

BluesKing777.

I had bought a brand new, full warranty J45 at a killer price ($1250) that had a minor factory finish flaw with the intent on making it my beater. It played and sounded so good and did not look that bad. I just couldn't do it.

I wound up selling it to a forum member.

Bought an '51 LG1 at a decent price with the same intent. Couldn't do it to it after I fixed it up.

I broke down and bought a Fender acoustic. It fits the bill.

My '44 J-45 looks like it was someone's beater once... Now it just hangs out next to my couch..

IMG_1736_zpsc2ssnyst.jpg

I like the look of your J-45...it has character.

Bet it sounds good too.

Tom- Is that Jorma? He recorded that great album several years back of carefully selected depression era standards. I 'm getting old when I can't remember the title of a CD that I've played 50 times! I have to break that CD out. He recorded the entire thing as live takes with all of the top name acoustic recording kings. He recorded all of the acoustic guitar parts on an Advanced Jumbo. If You've been to Fur Peace Ranch I'm sure that He's played Your Advanced Jumbo. I'm pretty sure that the one he used on the recording was a modern AJ that Ren made for him.

Archived