Gibson Brands Forums

I've been in the presence of greatness today...

Ryan H

A collector brought in a very special guitar to our local guitar shop...a 1959 Les Paul Standard in immaculate condition. I didn't get to play it (can't blame the guy for not wanting to let some 22 year-old play his $500k guitar), but this thing is a piece of art...here's a pic one of the guys snapped...

NQJYPDR.jpg

It's just..perfect. The grain, the wear, the tone..it was all perfect.

-Ryan

Nice one Ryan. I do think it's a bit mean to not let you have a quick play of it though - what did they think you were going to do, hammer in a few raised floorboard nails with it. Like buying you a lap dance and then making you wear boxing gloves and a blindfold.

Sweet guitar! Weird how 59 paint job seems to fade so much more than the other bursts, but they have their own character for sure. I wouldn't kick it out of bed anyway even if it was worth just a fraction of the price.

Frankly the two I've seen did not look any different than a current re-issue to me. I know how to spot the differences but they are so minor.

This one is a looker, one of the two I have seen was a clown burst and the other was so immaculate it looked like a new guitar. Weird (and kind of sad actually) that a 55 year old guitar has not been played much.

Archived