Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Limited Edition Southern Jumbo Acoustic Guitar 12 Fret

B1ues Boy

I just ordered a Gibson Limited Edition Southern Jumbo Acoustic Guitar 12 fret Sunburst Adirondack Top

It's very nice but wont be delivered until Wednesday

I was really torn between this and a Limited Edition J-35 I like the looks of J-35 better but the SJ 12 fret won out

Edited now with photos I hope

I do have to say that if I was interested in buying a new/newish Gibson something like a 12 fret SJ would be at the top of the list of guitars to check out. But I have been playing 12 fret guitars all my life and still have a bunch around so I do have a certain fondness for them. And up to recently if I wanted a 12 fret Gibson flattop I would have to seek out a guitar made before around 1933 unless I was willing to do a neck conversion on an HG or something.

The 12 fret fad as of late though always brings a bit of a smile to my face. After WWII, 12 fret guitars became associated with the bottom of the food chain Harmony Stellas and such. But these days they have leaped into High Society. V necks, slotheads, even ladder bracing (Waterloos, Fraulinis, etc) have all come roaring back. Just shows what a truly fickle bunch we are. Can the re-birth of the all-birch concert be far off?

I suspect you are going to love the Southern Jumbo. I've only come upon a few of them throughout the years, but they're excellent guitars. Great folksy and warm sound and feel. Just ask Kris Kristofferson. If I were choosing between the two guitars you mention, I'd likely go with the Southern Jumbo also. There's certainly not a thing wrong with the J35s, but at this point in my journey the folksy looks and sounds of the jumbo are real appealing to me. I recently bought a short scale AJ and I'm having a blast with it.........Now watch me go up to GC and play a J35 that talks to me......Enjoy! [thumbup]

I got one about a month ago and it is a really fine guitar weighing in at less than 4 pounds but has a ton of tone. The only thing I did was lower the bridge saddle a small amount but in doing that I hit a spot where the overtones ring of that guitar like there is no tomorrow. I love mine. The sunburst is almost not there with a small burst area around the bridge the guitar is very dark and the finish is not real thick and the sound is my, my, so very good. I think you will like yours very much, enjoy the anticipation and be ready to be thrilled.

Congrats, BB. That is definitely a cool guitar! I remember seeing an Acoustic Letter review on one not long ago and Tony was falling all over himself praising it. Post some pic's when it arrives

I got one about a month ago and it is a really fine guitar weighing in at less than 4 pounds but has a ton of tone. The only thing I did was lower the bridge saddle a small amount but in doing that I hit a spot where the overtones ring of that guitar like there is no tomorrow. I love mine. The sunburst is almost not there with a small burst area around the bridge the guitar is very dark and the finish is not real thick and the sound is my, my, so very good. I think you will like yours very much, enjoy the anticipation and be ready to be thrilled.

Mine says its 3lbs 13oz I hope it's a good one mine also has a little bigger sunburst then the others they had in stock but not as big as a J-45 standard

Here is a FaceBook page of my Gibson 12 Fret Southern Jumbo Special Adirondack Top and my Gibson J-15 Walnut with Firestripe pickguard

https://www.facebook.com/groups/226269863677/

B1ues Boy, when I click on the links it says the content is unavailable. You probably have to change the settings on those posts to "Public".

Archived