Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Models

drew365

Like most I'm really happy about these changes and you won't hear any complaining from me. The fact that they've made these changes is good enough for me, even if they have a minimal line up, but with their more popular models. Hopefully they go back to the drawing board and produce guitars that they know are favourites and continue to be desirable, keep it simple stupid and I'm sure they'll bounce back for 2016 by the looks of things!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Again is repeated the use of the 57/57+ pups in the Trad. Also, they state the Trad has "traditional weight relief". If true (both the pups and the traditional weight relief) this will likely make the 2013 and 2014 Trads with non-weight relief highly desirable in the future I'm guessing... the 2014 maybe even more so because of the 59 Trib HBs

I went and had a look for some 2014's on sites for local shops to me; seems they've been lapped up, where a few weeks ago I could swear they all still had stock. Quite fancy that Manhattan Midnight 2014 Traditional, now...hindsight - bloody wonderful thing...

I went and had a look for some 2014's on sites for local shops to me; seems they've been lapped up, where a few weeks ago I could swear they all still had stock. Quite fancy that Manhattan Midnight 2014 Traditional, now...hindsight - bloody wonderful thing...

Hey Pesh- a couple months ago when I was searching out a Studio my favorite local dealer, Gibson Authorized for higher end stuff too, told me there were several 2014 Studio models available and at decent prices, too. I hesitated and shouldn't have; the 2015 models flopped very badly around here- including at his store- and those remaining 2014s were GONE! I'm no expert on these things, but I believe that between folks generally not liking the "forced improvements" on the 2015 models, the CEO putting out a video basically saying the GForce and zero fret were staying no matter what, that people panicked and scarfed up the 2014s. He11 around here you couldn't find a decent Studio, faded or otherwise, for a very long time.

I got fortunate in that a used on came up at a local GC- happened to look the same day it was listed and it is a fine guitar, now residing with me. [smile]

Hopefully Gibson learned a valuable lesson and we can breathe again...

Brian

The Les Paul CM is in the traditional series but has G-force.....

Well I was just having a look...

According to this http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-USA-LPCM16SENH1-Electric-Guitar/dp/B014L7IUX6/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1441301253&sr=8-38&keywords=gibson+guitar+2016 theres no autotuners on it...

BUT Then we now have two different CM models out [rolleyes] The 2015 that has G-Force and the new 2016 that doesn't... http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-CM-2015.aspx

Man they really like to muddy this stuff up... I also noticed that on the back of the headstocks of the new line it says made in 2016.. and its clearly still 2015 so that's not possible [rolleyes] [rolleyes] unless they have replaced the normal caps with flux capacitors in which case they are time traveling guitars.. :)

1659642963_n_zpsy9fbxlzi.jpg

I guess at least it will stop the same old threads we get of, my serial number and made in date doesn't match?

Makes one wonder WHEN exact production of the last 2015 models is completed=halted,

and when the 2016's are started? I suspect, there is some overlap, but I'm not

certain of that. There is, and has always been, some overlap in "model year,"

designation, as illustrated in your rear headstock photo, for decades. I just

wonder if there's actually some "down time," (retooling or whatever) between

the actual construction, of each model year's offerings?

CB

So there is no reason to be put off the 60ies tribute because of the baked maple. Looks like a good gutar at a low price, but prices in Norway will be way over the US prices.

Yeah I agree too...

I had a baked maple board on a firebird (non reverse) and it was REALLY nice.. Smooth as you like, nice dark colour... So no, nothing to be worried about at all.. Probably better than rosewood [thumbup]

Is it just me or does that 2016 headstock looks a little fishy...looks to be two pieces, the finish is terrible and that 6 in 2016 looks like an over stamp or something like they did on a WWII penny...it's darker than the rest of the numbers...is that a Chinese facility or is it really Gibson...you pros chime in

Is it just me or does that 2016 headstock looks a little fishy...looks to be two pieces, the finish is terrible and that 6 in 2016 looks like an over stamp or something like they did on a WWII penny...it's darker than the rest of the numbers...is that a Chinese facility or is it really Gibson...you pros chime in

It's the grain of the wood; mahogany can have those dark streaks running through it, depending on the wood selected. The further down the picture of the neck you look, you can see it even out.

The 6 probably looks darker as it is printed outside of the dark streak, and therefore has more contrast against the background.

I also think the picture is taken at a slight angle; I noticed that, but believe it to be an optical illusion [smile]

Well I was just having a look...

According to this http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-USA-LPCM16SENH1-Electric-Guitar/dp/B014L7IUX6/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1441301253&sr=8-38&keywords=gibson+guitar+2016 theres no autotuners on it...

BUT Then we now have two different CM models out [rolleyes] The 2015 that has G-Force and the new 2016 that doesn't... http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-CM-2015.aspx

Man they really like to muddy this stuff up... I also noticed that on the back of the headstocks of the new line it says made in 2016.. and its clearly still 2015 so that's not possible [rolleyes] [rolleyes] unless they have replaced the normal caps with flux capacitors in which case they are time traveling guitars.. :)

1659642963_n_zpsy9fbxlzi.jpg

I guess at least it will stop the same old threads we get of, my serial number and made in date doesn't match?

Technically it says: "Made in USA" "2016 Model"

Not "Made in USA in 2016"

Much like pretty much every car manufacturer, the new model year and the fiscal year are not the same. Gibson has clearly switched to this type of model year accounting over the past couple years.

Technically it says: "Made in USA" "2016 Model"

Not "Made in USA in 2016"

Much like pretty much every car manufacturer, the new model year and the fiscal year are not the same. Gibson has clearly switched to this type of model year accounting over the past couple years.

Yes that's true...

But then the serial number also says its from 2016...

Anyway.. who really cares .. its not like it effects the tone of the guitar...

Or does it :-k

;)

Oh and another thing! Why'd they do away with the removable pickguard?! Another bloody brilliant idea.

As good as it is to return to some normalcy; they could have properly had a look at which features were respected and which weren't!

Probably Cost of production and profit margins. Easier and costs less to drill a hole and screw it on than to have extra different pickup rings and different guards inventoried. I'm actually surprised that they dont just throw the guards in the hard case and leave it to the customer to put on, or not. That's how they brought the cost back down too.

Probably Cost of production and profit margins. Easier and costs less to drill a hole and screw it on than to have extra different pickup rings and different guards inventoried. I'm actually surprised that they dont just throw the guards in the hard case and leave it to the customer to put on, or not. That's how they brought the cost back down too.

Fair point; even less work and more costs saved if they don't need to drill holes, and then adjust the bracket on each one. I'd like to see that option with the whole range, though; not just Standard series.

I'm with you, love 57's but I personally like the 59 Tributes more.

And your theory may sound crazy but one of my 59's has to be replaced.

Luckily for me under warranty, problem is they didn't have them in stock. I was told by Gibson's CC Europe that they have ordered one from the Custom Shop in Nashville.

Hey guys!

I really like the 57's (since they are not so hot) but I don't think I have ever played the 59's. What's the difference in your humble opinion?

Hey guys!

I really like the 57's (since they are not so hot) but I don't think I have ever played the 59's. What's the difference in your humble opinion?

Output-wise they are very close but I personaly think the 59's are a bit lower.

I noticed more treble at the 59's, very warm sounding but not as dark as the 57's.

And a much better string separation.

All this comparing neck vs. neck.

I don't have a guitar with 57 in the Bridge. And 13 LPJ vs. 14 Trad (different neck materials, pot's wiring).

I guess it's not the best scenario for a comparison. And of course to MY ears. But I read similar opinions of other people that own both.

A really good example of the sound:

Hey guys!

Mr CO Jones pretty well nailed it. :)

I have Trads with both 57s and 59s. I have always been a 57 fan and always considered them my fav Gibson pups...until I got my 2014 Trad with the 59s. They are not wildly better than the 57s, but they are better IMO. Better string separation for sure and thus more articulate than the 57s (this applies to both neck and bridge in IME).

The 59s are a bit lower output spec-wise, but it doesn't affect pup performance at all. They are probably a bit brighter than the 57s, but the extra articulation may make the seem more so than it really is. All I know is I love them!!!

In the end, after getting my 2014 with the 59s they have won me over and are now my fav Gibson pups.

Thus my only complaint with the new 2016 Trads is I wish they'd have put the 59s in them instead of going back to the 57s. That said, 57s are no slouch and they wouldn't prevent me from buying a 2016 Trad at all.

I was looking at the 2016 line up on Guitar Centers site. What is the significance of the "T" at the end of every single model name?

Or is that just a weird thing that GC did? Here's a link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2016-Electrics.gc?source=4TP5J4BB

I believe that to stand for Traditional... as in traditional specs rather than the weird 2015ness...

:)

GC's website has the 2016s up with specs. Again is repeated the use of the 57/57+ pups in the Trad. Also, they state the Trad has "traditional weight relief". If true (both the pups and the traditional weight relief) this will likely make the 2013 and 2014 Trads with non-weight relief highly desirable in the future I'm guessing... the 2014 maybe even more so because of the 59 Trib HBs (the unfortunate 2015 Trad, despite also being non-weight relieved <and blessed with 59 Trib HBs> will likely not ever make the highly desirable list because it's saddled with the highly undesirable 2015 specs).

Ha! Well there you go... maybe I'm onto something. :D

I love the direction of the 2016s... I love the return to normalcy, I love the nibs... and I do love the 57/57+ pickup combo... but (as I've said before) I love the 59s better. Perhaps they were just "too" good for the USA line and had to be relegated to the Custom Shop after all. ;) Especially glad I got my 2014 with them now! :D All those 2014 haters who wouldn't buy a 2014 because of the innocuous little 120th Anny inlay may well have passed on a one-off special year with non-weight relief and 59 Trib HBs. I've always thought my 2014 of as basically a poor man's R8/R9... maybe even more so now.

I like that , a poor man's R8/R9. Or the Gibson USA (un)True Historic.

Spec's-wise not all that different:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Custom/True-Historic-1959-Les-Paul.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

But those molecular basis VOS plastic's make the difference.

Well maybe we could compensate the poor man's plastic crap tone with this:

dumble_zps3lmeb9ow.jpg

I like that , a poor man's R8/R9. Or the Gibson USA (un)True Historic.

Spec's-wise not all that different:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Custom/True-Historic-1959-Les-Paul.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

But those molecular basis VOS plastic's make the difference.

Well maybe we could compensate the poor man's plastic crap tone with this:

dumble_zps3lmeb9ow.jpg

Hahaha... indeed! :D

Archived