Gibson Brands Forums

'61 Les Paul Value

CoreyT

I thought in '61 they went to the SG shape.

A woman here at work her dad has a gold colored Les Paul with white P90s pickups, and the trapeze bridge, I think that is what the bridge is called.

He had contacted Gibson and they said it is a '61 made at the Kalamazoo plant.

Here is the info on the back of the headstock:

AMS6262

It is missing the pick guard, and it came in a brown case with the name Gibson on it.

I know this is not worth like a '57 or so, but what do you think this is worth?

His mother had given it to him around 10 years or so ago.

Googled it, and I found this pic, this looks exactly what she printed out here for me.

Les-Paul-60th-Glam.jpg

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Hello!

It must be a '52 or early '53 The trapeze bridge was only used on the very first 50-some guitars made.

These Les Pauls also have a weird neck angle, straight - almost like a Tele.

Best wishes... Bence

One other possibility is that it's a conversion...lots of guy in the 70's and 80's bought old goldtops and stripped them and converted them to '58/'59/'60 spec. Somebody could have converted a very early '61 to '52 spec with original parts, which could explain the SN...

-Ryan

The neck set angle will tell the truth.

If it's 1 degrees, then it's from 1952. If it is 3 then it's a 1953. In 1954 it went to 4 degrees, but the trapeze bridge was phased out 1953 already.

A 1961 Les Paul would have 5 degrees neck angle.

The serial number is weird for any year, but '52s did not have serials at all.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks guy's.

She goes over to her dads Tuesday, and I told her to look for holes that may have been filled in where a stock bridge or tail piece may have been in case it is a '61 that has been converted.

Woe, a '52, I bet if it is an original '52 it would be worth a bundle.

I will shoot a PM to Bence to check out the thread.

Well this is embarrassing, I forgot how to PM someone here :)

Not use to this software as I use VB most of the time.

Just click on the person's name and it will take you to their profile page. You can send a message. You need to find his name in a thread or you can do a search in Members.

That serial number doesn't work for my recollections of those guitars. A real 52 will be easy to tell, it is absolutely dreadful to play. A 61, which doesn't really exist, would not go back to trapeze and would not have P90s.

Good luck with it. It is probably a custom one off job or a knock off. Hard to tell without seeing it.

rct

Yes, as RCT said, the both versions of that bridge were a nightmare to play. The first under-wrapped version didn't work, so Mr. Paul suggested a top-wrap. That one resulted a very high action due to the small (almost none) neck angle.

I am very curious, can't wait to see some pictures.

Best wishes... Bence

I just spoke with Customer Service, and he said it sounds like a 52 from the description, but the serial number should start with a 2.

I will have her get me some better pics tonight, plus have her take a good look at the rear of the headstock.

The AMS if indeed that is what it actually says could stand for American Music Supply which could be a reissue.

Will know much more if she can get me much better pics than what her dad took.

If I get some good ones they will be forwarded to CS too.

I just spoke with Customer Service, and he said it sounds like a 52 from the description, but the serial number should start with a 2.

Hello!

They should know that the first Les Paul serial number ever begins with "3".

;)

Cheers... Bence

It def is a reissue, but not sure what year though.

I sent the pics into Terry at Customer Service yesterday, and I also emailed AMS Tuesday, but have not heard back from either yet.

She brought it into work today, and I tuned it up with my Polytune 2, but even when it said all the strings were in tune, chords sounded bad, and I mean very bad.

Must be the intonation is way off?

Also not liking the HUGE neck on it, as I like the slimmer '61 neck on my 2012 SG '61 Reissue, and the slim necks on my PRSi.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

It def is a reissue, but not sure what year though.

Hello!

I definitely don't think so! It is not a reissue, in my opinion.

Looks like one of the very first Les Pauls ever. Under-wrap tailpiece, the headstock shape, no serial, no poker chip, constant width binding, dark brown plastic covers. Single-ring "no logo" Kluson pegs.

Also, the multiple-piece, not center-seemed top!!! Everything is in place!

Compare with this:

52_gib_lespaul_1.jpg

52_gib_lespaul_4.jpg

52_gib_lespaul_5.jpg

Another one: http://shop.guitarpoint.de/de/Vintage-Instrumente/00-1952-Gibson-Les-Paul-GoldTop-In-Transit-

Cheers... Bence

Hello again!

Could You please post a side-view of the guitar?

I am curious about the neck angle.

Also, the control cavity is unique to that year. It has square hole for the ground wire:

52_gib_lespaul_7.jpg

Thanks... Bence

Thanks Bence!

I just took some more pics, but will have to upload them tonight to my server when I get home as they are big to attach here.

I believe the neck angle is like the goldtop '52 you showed, and I pulled off the control cover here at work and indeed the ground wire hole is square.

Will try and get these pics up tonight or early Friday morning for you.

If this indeed is a '52, what is it worth in US $$$?

She was going to take it home yesterday but first stop at the eye doctor, and I told her two things:

1. Never leave a guitar in a hot vehicle.

2. Never in plain site as she has a Jeep soft top, and I could see someone ripping this off from her very quickly.

It will stay at work until Friday when she leaves her to go straight to her parents house.

Archived