Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page

Starpeve

First, let me preface this by stating that I am a guitar hack- didn't really try til late in life due to a misguided belief that artists were born, not made, and because I couldn't play within 5 mins then I wasn't talented enough. So everything now is a steep learning curve. Now, my question is this;

I've been hitting Physical Graffiti for the first time in many years, and now that I know a lot more than I did about guitars and all their technologies I find myself analysing everything to pieces. In 'The Rover' you hear a lot of what sounds like pinch harmonics, but I've noticed whenever I see Page playing something he holds his pick really high, doesn't look like he chokes it. Which seems contrary to what I've learned about getting pitch harmonics. So I'm wondering is this actually microphony from unpotted pickups ?

Hello...

Well id imagine its all about technique..

From what I know about pinch harmonics (and that's really not much) its all about touching the string just as you pick it and I think theres more than one way to do that...

Who knows?

Not sure if he does it during the Rover. The guy essentially could do a levitate equivalent so who knows how he did so many things.

Learn the solo to La Grange though and pinch harmonics just happens! It's a force of nature and yes you are correct, you pluck the string holding the pick close to the edge and it's pretty cool.

I was wondering because if that was microphonics, then I'm sold on the unpotted paf idea! I know that Neil Young's 'Ol Black' has a Firebird hb in the bridge that's so microphonic that according to his tech you can talk into it! - And I do love me some Neil.

Not much he can't do Tman! I'm just getting back into Zep after a long lull and I'm constantly being reminded of why I was so into them so long ago! I've got a crappy old cassette of a live BBC set that I can't identify and it is heads and tails above any other live Zep that I've heard. Every track is the best version I know of! I'd love to track down a good copy.Dazed and Confused and The Immigrant Somg are two particular standouts. We have/ had a cover band in Oz called Zep Boys I've seen a few times and you leave the show thinking.how brilliant they were. Then you get home and put on the real stuff and realise just how far short they really fell.

although most people consider it a throw away song, or album filler, i always liked boogie with stu.

when i recently learned the story behind it, it was disappointing. you'd think the estate would have been appreciative that someone threw them a bone in the first place.

Kuma, what is the story?

Ian

Did someone mention The Rover? One of my alltime favourites with Zeppelin!

I really like that raw heavy riff. Found this clip on the tube, surprised to see it played live with the doubleneck!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCp9Dk7O9Os

//Robert

It's such a portentious song, isn't it? Ripe with seemingly deep meaning and I find all the guitar runs thrilling. It's in my car cd at the moment and I can't stop repeating it every time it ends.

Jimmy was sloppy but he is a damn fine guitarist.

Yeah I agree...

But then I feel the same way as I do about Hendrix and Page in that way (certainly the live stuff anyway).. Both kinda sloppy players but then they were pushing their own limits so far that its very acceptable in my eyes... and they both play with such feeling too that it doesn't really matter... feeling is way more important than note perfection I think anyway.

Physical Graffiti was my intro to Zeppelin. And to this day it is still my favorite album. It is one of the select few double albums (not counting live ones) that can hold up.

My first album was Houses of the Holy. That same year I went to see Song Remains the Same at the midnight movie under a bit of errrrr chemical influence. My 14 year old mind was blown and this Led to a serious Zep obsession, but I admit I haven't listened to much of them in years.

As for sloppy, I agree. He's sloppy, but in a loveable kinda way. He's got that stutter step phrasing that makes him unique.

I'm very taken by Page's B-bender guitar work on the 2 albums he made as The Firm with Paul Rodgers.

These recordings really are worth hearing once just for the guitar parts.

It's 1980s and some of it is a bit pedestrian, but nearly every track has B-bender and he really gets something different out of it.

Try for instance the chorused roar of "Fortune Hunter" which opens the 2nd LP - some quintessential Page riffage!

Also:

Led Zeppelin BBC sessions official release -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/music/dp/B000002JEV/ref=sr_1_1/276-8534437-4366200?ie=UTF8&qid=1439675016&sr=8-1&keywords=bbc+sessions+led+zeppelin

I'm very taken by Page's B-bender guitar work on the 2 albums he made as The Firm with Paul Rodgers.

These recordings really are worth hearing once just for the guitar parts.

It's 1980s and some of it is a bit pedestrian, but nearly every track has B-bender and he really gets something different out of it.

Try for instance the chorused roar of "Fortune Hunter" which opens the 2nd LP - some quintessential Page riffage!

Also:

Led Zeppelin BBC sessions official release -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/music/dp/B000002JEV/ref=sr_1_1/276-8534437-4366200?ie=UTF8&qid=1439675016&sr=8-1&keywords=bbc+sessions+led+zeppelin

The beat up old cassette I have sounds from the description of this sessions set to be the entire recording of the bbc session of 71. I seem to recall the owner( who I never met and wouldn't loan the friend who got it taped the lp so I could tape it on my superior hi-fi gear) said it was called ' An Authourised BBC bootleg'. It's awesome though! Wish I had that LP.

Physical Graffiti was my intro to Zeppelin. And to this day it is still my favorite album. It is one of the select few double albums (not counting live ones) that can hold up.

Christ!!! I wish I was that "sloppy"

Archived