Gibson Brands Forums

Eternashine Scratch Remover

btoth76

Hello!

I have watched a video of Scott* Grove. He isn't that often happy about products, but said good words about the Eternashine Scratch Remover. So, I thought it's a good reason to try it.

I have ordered the "Player's kit" package, which contains a coarse and a fine compound with a microfiber cloth.

1441507409392-1148093400.jpeg

The product was bought from www.poshguitars.com - excellent service as always from UK.

Before using the product on any of my guitars, - just to be safe - I tried it on two different furnitures. However, it's not recommended for old, aged (nor for satin) finishes. Anyways, I tried it on a 50 years old poly-finished table, and a 60 years old nitro-finished cabinet.

The poly-finished table top had millions of small scratches, and lot's of swelled, milky hazings. It didn't remove scratches, nor did it smooth out the swelled finish, but removed the hazing and buffed the surface to high-gloss - without leaving any swirl marks.

It worked differently on the old nitro-finish. The cabinet has a rigid and thin, - well aged - finish, with crazing and some surface scratches. I choose a palm-sized area where I found an ugly-looking scratch, and also made another with my fingernail next to it. I started rubbing it with the coarser (blue) compound. It immediately dulled the finish, but as I went on rubbing it with 2-inch wide circular motions, it cleared up. The former, ugly-looking scratch was gone, but the one I have made with my nail did not. Still, the entire surface became looking much better, and the scratch that I did, is only visible from looking at a very narrow angle.

The real test is yet to be done, on the soft nitro-finish of my Classic Custom. As it seems it works great with picking marks and it does leave a nice glossy surface. But it doesn't removes deeper scratches, ones like caused by a fingernail. It's a great cleaner, polisher, swirl remover.

I'll keep You updated, how does it works on my Classic Custom.

By the way, POSH Guitars have a very nice 25/50 Anniversary LP for sale:

DSC_5230-650x360.jpg

http://www.poshguitars.com/product/1979-gibson-les-paul-2550-anniversary-model-tobacco-sunburst/

Cheers... Bence

*Name corrected

That is a beautiful guitar, Bence!

It sounds like Posh Guitars has a great product there. I look forward to seeing how well it works.

Here in the US, I have found wonderful results from an automotive product called Formula 1 Scratch-Out.

41ng2OdowGL._SY300_.jpg

It costs about 3 dollars a bottle, and it works much like the Eternashine stuff.

After buffing it off, I always apply some Turtle Wax (or any other good carnauba wax) to make the finish really shine.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's just grossly over priced cutting compound. You can buy much larger quantities for far lower prices by looking outside the guitar market.

I wouldn't put much weight behind what SG says personally.

Edit: sorry, I read that too quick. I thought it said Scott Grove. Carry on.

Still just cutting compound though.

Never having had a Gibson before (this year), I am amazed at just how quickly that nitro finish collects scratches. I'm pretty careful when handling guitars, but my 339 looks like its seen active service. which it hasn't, -just played in the house.

Eventually it will be gigged. That should prove interesting ?! :unsure:

Hello!

Most likely, You are right: I could have bought the same product much cheaper...

...but it says "Nitro-safe", which means they have to take responsibility for that.

Anyways, it did what I wanted:

HPIM5933_zpsuywdra7j.jpg

This guitar was badly wounded by a luthier. He was trying to turn the thumbwheels under full string tension. As a result, He impressed the finish deep with a 1/8" wide circular scar with His nails. It was ugly, and disturbed me a lot. Now, it's gone without trace.

HPIM5931_zpsr3giatoq.jpg

In fact, I didn't expected such results. I am happy.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

An important thing to note. As said above, this is not for regular maintenance! This product is for spot repair!

Another thing I have learned while doing this, that the provided microfiber cloth is better than any other rag/diaper I have used before.

1329646458382-921797255.jpeg

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

An important thing to note. As said above, this is not for regular maintenance! This product is for spot repair!

Another thing I have learned while doing this, that the provided microfiber cloth is better than any other rag/diaper I have used before.

1329646458382-921797255.jpeg

Cheers... Bence

Glad to hear this about microfiber. I replaced all my guitar wipes with these this year.

That guy really called himself luthier?

Hello Marcos!

Unfortunately, yes. In fact, to start a business in Hungary, You must have a degree on the territory of Your business activity. So, this guy is not a simple tech, but a person who has spent 4 years at university...Shame!

On the other hand, thanks to this experience, I started to do things on my own.

Best wishes... Bence

Unfortunately, yes. In fact, to start a business in Hungary, You must have a degree on the territory of Your business activity. So, this guy is not a simple tech, but a person who has spent 4 years at university...Shame!

On the other hand, thanks to this experience, I started to do things on my own.

Best wishes... Bence

Which just goes to prove my saying- 'there is a gap between theory and application'!

You know, Bence, it's experiences like this, unfortunate as they are, that cause one to learn to do things themselves and thus to gain knowledge and expertise, just as you've stated.

Best wishes as always- Brian

Archived