Gibson Brands Forums

Is this genuine ? Surely not ?

blindboygrunt

Beeston, Nottinghamshire -

Vintage Gibson Dove guitar serial number AO6071 which dates it either 1973 0r 1974. ...

That serial would date it as the seller indicated, but 1973-1975. Three piece neck with headstock wings and a bit of a volute. Nothing jumping out at me except a possible bridge crack.

Nothing jumping out at me except a possible bridge crack.

Which was very common in the 70s. There just wasn't much bridge material there due to the more shallow neck angles. They tried to make up for it by adding a fiber insert in the pin area but to me that's like having one truck tire on a Corolla and letting half the air out so it sits level. It's a band aid where breaking and resetting the bone was needed.

Where is the serial number? It isn't stamped on the back of the headstock and there is no label inside the guitar and it had a non-original pickguard. The headstock and the tuners look genuine but that case doesn't. I'd say it is suspect. Also, the bridge is split and would have to be replaced. Not worth 850 pounds IMO.

I wish I could figure out what my dad's early '70s (or maybe late '60s?) Gibson was. I suppose it was probably just a square-shoulder J-50, or maybe a J-55. Sure didn't look like a J-55, but of course it looked nothing like the J-50s we know either.

Square body, batwing pickguard (I think??), rosewood bridge pins, chrome keystone tuner knobs... It is long gone, so all I have are my fuzzy memories. Sounded great to me, though, and I expect that while it was not really a true Gibson, it had a part in establishing my love of the Gibson tone.

Maybe it was one of those weird J-50 "Deluxe" models... I can't even remember if the bridge was belly-up or belly-down.

Archived