Gibson Brands Forums

God Bless Britannia

rct

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight was breadsticks, English Muffins, and a fancy loaf. Awesome!

I would happily buy one drink for the member of our forum that can hook me up with Paul Hollywood and Simon Cowell. I think we would enjoy a very long night of debauchery that none of us would remember any time soon.

rct

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight: Trifles, OOfs ala neige(Snow Eggs, Floating Islands), and Petit Fours(Mignardises). Awesome! Two went home back to London or whatever that other town is they have there.

My offer stands for the Me + Paul Hollywood + Simon Cowell hook up.

Here in America, a good kitchen has All-Clad, we'll call them the Gibson or Fender or Martin of cookware. I'd probably replace one of my All-Clads first if it fell onto one of my good guitars and both broke.

What are the pots and cookware I see them using? What's the Gibson of cookware in England? Do you guys just drive over to France and buy the really good stuff?

rct

What are the pots and cookware I see them using? What's the Gibson of cookware in England? Do you guys just drive over to France and buy the really good stuff?...

Yes; we get a lot of the good French stuff over here in the U.K., but there is a lot of very high-quality home-grown equipment, too.

As far as pots, pans & casseroles go Le Creuset is pretty much the mutt's nuts but is VERY heavy in use - it's cast iron - and by the time there is 3 litres (what IS that in U.S. dollars?) of stock inside it's literally too heavy for some folks (i.e. the wife) to handle. Here in SE20 our earthenware pie-dishes are the French Appolia brand which are not just functional but also decorative enough to bring to table.

Pyrex casseroles are, of course, ubiquitous.

Many 'celebrity' chef's have brought out / endorsed their own range of cookware and much of it is surprisingly good. We bought some stainless steel Marco Pierre White pots&pans which are ideal. We also have some S/S Judge cookware ("Supplying Cookshops since 1896") which is equally good. Again, though, heavy. The 28cm saute-pan, for example, weighs 2.5 kilos / 5.5 lb. Pressure-cooker is by Prestige (*). Faultless; time-saving; energy-money-saving. What's not to like?

In terms of 'tableware' metalwork the UK has a very long-standing name for quality. Steel from Sheffield is world-renowned.

'Working' knives, OTOH, simply have to be forged Sabatier...

Pip.

(*) I've just double-checked the origins of the 'Prestige' company and I was half-wrong. I thought it was an English brand but it turns out to have been established in the UK (in Derby, Blackburn and Burnley) after a Chicago-based company, EKCO, bought-out (and re-named) the English company Platers & Stampers. Ain't the WWW Wonderful?!

Thank You Pippy! Le Creuset is heavy, used to have a couple pots of theirs.

Sheffield natch, world reknown.

Working knives are a mash in my kitchen, Henckel for the most part, a couple old ceramics still in use but won't ever do them again. I spent a bit yakking with a very famous now retired sushi lady at California Grill in Orlando and she advised us to go for what felt good in the hand and that the knife itself was secondary to a good hone and sharpen set and the skills to use them, so that's what we've done. And no dishwasher for the good stuff ever, no exceptions.

rct

Sheffield natch, world reknown.

rct

My Grandad was 8th Army , a desert rat and got thru' WW2 unscathed. However he was a Sheffield cutlery maker and lost his thumb to a steam hammer pressing dessert spoons ...Ironic or what

Last night was double crusted fruit pie(no moisture on the bottom), traditional English custard tarts, and something in scratch phyllo, savory or sweet. MAN that was some tough stuff. The one guy went home but he's been on the ropes a while. I know Paul and Mary and the other two want to have a beer with me. Beers.

rct

Tonight was Tray Bake, which is Lime for what we call cookie bar thingy, two forms of Tuiles, and a tower of 4 kinds of biscuits. A really tough weekend for the bakers, down to 7. Love love love that show. You guys are lucky you can prolly see that tent from your back deck.

rct

You crack me up man. Are you into the Asian bakeries?

There's a Japanese bakery by work (Tustin, Ca) that I am so hooked on. They have all kinds of classic French pastries and Japanese stuff, all prepared flawlessly. I love it because of the slightly eclectic variety and supa high quality

I've seen that dude.

I'm all for superfoods. Any foods washed down with good wine, followed by a well made desert with excellent coffee and awesome Port. Champagne for starters and if available, a good Cuban with good bourbon after dinner. Superfoods!

I'm nothing if not high effing maintenance.

rct

• 3 weeks later...

rct

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34602609

For you if you didn't hear already

Mary Berry is heading to the US for a festive-themed remake of The Great British Bake Off, reports Deadline.

The British cook will join pastry chef Johnny Iuzzini as a judge on The Great Holiday Baking Show, as amateur bakers attempt a series of themed challenges.

The four-week special, hosted by Nia Vardalos, of My Big Fat Greek Wedding fame, and husband, Cougar Town star Ian Gomez, will debut on 30 November.

Last month's Bake Off final became the UK's most-watched TV show of the year.

An average audience of 13.4m viewers tuned in to see Nadiya Hussain crowned the winner of the sixth series.

US network CBS remade a version of The Great British Bake Off in 2013, called The American Baking Competition, but it premiered to dire ratings and was cancelled after its first seven-episode season.

The Great Holiday Baking Show will be produced by Love Productions for the ABC Television Network.

Now if you want to talk about "good" food I'll tell you about the "Beef, Bacon & Onion" pies I made yesterday...Grin~

Yes I would like to hear more about PIES.

I like pies. Chicken, bacon and leek before beef, bacon and onion though.

I enjoy the playing of the great Wes Montgomery and earlier was listening to a track called -

"Fried Pies".....WTF is in a fried pie?

Yes I would like to hear more about PIES.

I like pies. Chicken, bacon and leek before beef, bacon and onion though.

I enjoy the playing of the great Wes Montgomery and earlier was listening to a track called -

"Fried Pies".....WTF is in a fried pie?

FRUIT. My favorite is apricot. Mostly just biscuit* dough with rich filling and fried in oil.

*Our version is quite different from yours, jdgm.

1442145808[/url]' post='1693443']

Have a great time at Disneyland Frayn, but when you're done toolin' around with those Princesses, head the car up US5 to San Francisco to a small pit in the inner city called Brother In Law's for the finest barbecue on the left coast.

And skip the ribs and order as much brisket as you can stand plus a little more for seconds later that the evening. I'm talkin' the real deal here bubba.

Where I live now here on the east coast I am continually jonesing for real barbecue. The only good stuff I've been able to find is the stuff I make myself.

I love barbecue ribs. best I've had anywhere is the Smoke Stack in Missouri. My aunt and uncle came up to Overland Park when I was in railroad training and took me there. Oh, it was to die for good! I think it was about a hr drive from the campus but worth it. We just got back from vacation and Boston had some super great dishes there. My wife claims they had the best shrimp she ever tasted in her life. Omaha Neb. has tons of restraints but some of my favorites have closed down. And guys, if you ever want a buffalo filet to die for, South Dakota. I could hardly eat the whole thing and it melts in your mouth? Every piece, I cut with the fork. And you get a lesson between beef and Buffalo and the difference of the too. They claim when you order buffalo in any other state, your getting a mixture of the two. It's not 100% Buffalo. You have to go to South Dakota for the real deal, according to them.msp_thumbup.gif

1445639727[/url]' post='1705200']

Shudder!

We don't deep fry anything in this house.

Then again I always was "different"~

I agree. Once I tried a deep fried turkey at someone's house for Thanksgiving, then they also had a oven baked version and it was so much better. Deep fried is too greasy and gives me heart burn.

I agree. Once I tried a deep fried turkey at someone's house for Thanksgiving, then they also had a oven baked version and it was so much better. Deep fried is too greasy and gives me heart burn.

How about the Scottish delicacy.. the deep fried Mars bar :)

dish-deep-fried-mars-bar_zps1u6hgqun.jpg

Never tried one myself and don't really want to..

How about the Scottish delicacy.. the deep fried Mars bar :)

dish-deep-fried-mars-bar_zps1u6hgqun.jpg

Never tried one myself and don't really want to..

I can't think of a word strong enough to describe that but the closest is probably "decadent".

I think they had just caught on in Rome just before it fell! Maybe Sodom & Gomorrah too?

Archived